1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Diamondbacks @Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 26, 2004.

1. AGBee

AGBee Member

Is it safe to start the fire sale after failing to win a series against Arizona?

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No.

The Giants and Padres both have series this weekend against division leaders and the Cubs and Phillies will beat up on each other, while we get to play the struggling Reds. At most we'll be only 6 games out after today. If it wasn't for an uncharacteristic error by Everett, we'd be tied in this game today.

Not to mention, it's not over yet.

Maybe the Astros are cursed because the majority of their fans don't have faith.

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I don't understand why the team won't call up Carlos Hernandez. What do you have to lose? Throwing Redding out there is almost a gurantee lost.

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

His last start sure wasn't bad in the least and he got the win so I'm not sure your statement has much relevance.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well.... that was a team loss today.

Redding was rocked at first... then seemingly recovered, and was on his way to a quality start... then the defense let him down.

The offense, as they could have busted it open early, couldn't put together a big inning. On a day where they actually scored 4 runs (a month ago, that would have been amazing)... they actually should have scored 8 today.

Not enough pitching, defense, situational hitting, situational pitching... you'll lose to anybody.

Alas... the 7 out of 9 goal was not met b/c of today's loss. The team is now at .500, which means they've just been running in place the last two weeks under Garner.

If you find a deal for Beltran now... take it... and hope that players like Hernandez, Buckhoz, Tavares, and Burke progress enough so that they may be able to step in next year and contribute to (hopefully) a winning ball club.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i think at this point...i agree.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Say it isn't so. :(

I guess my roommate and I are the only ones left...

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm still in. I just can't say they are dead yet!

9. MadMax

i know they're not dead, mathematically. but i really felt like they needed to take 3 games against the awful D-Backs...particularly with the pitching matchups we had. you have to make up ground when you can...when the schedule plays to your favor, in particular. it just doesn't look like this team is consistent enough to do that, at this point.

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Dude Tim Redding sucks. He had that fluke outing against the Brewers and the Brewers were playing bad baseball at the time. If the team has a shot at the playoffs this season why not bring up Hernandez.

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

They aren't dead yet. They should have a good August, and with 2 series against both Chicago and Philadelphia they still have a shot.

Reds
    Braves
    Expos
    Mets
    Expos
    Phillies
    Cubs
    Phillies
    Cubs
    Reds

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

If we can't win a series against the struggling DBacks (the worst team in baseball riding 9 game losing streak) at home, I cringe at some of the up coming series.

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

It's Al Hrabosky

To all the naysayers

The Stros aren't dead yet. If you want to jump ship, be my guest. RM95, his roomate and myself will go down with the ship if we have to:p

I can just imagine what you guys were saying when the Rockets were down 3-1 to Phoenix in '95:rolleyes:

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm not jumping ship... I just thought that if they'd go 7-2 in this 9 game stretch, there'd be no way they'd trade Beltran.

Now... they'll probably entertain offers... and if they can get a great prospect for him, they'll do it.

Also... as Codell said before... its hard to put together a "hot" streak when you have games like there are today, where Tim Redding didn't set the tone from the beginning.

But... I'll enjoy watching this team play it out as much as the next guy... and if it works out, all the better.

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'm still routing for them just as I have every year since 82, but I have to be realistic after all those years. I hate to say I'm like those fans but I've already started my, wait till next year chant.

But you are right about the Rockets - I felt the label Choke City fit when they were down 3-1. I was wrong and that series was something to behold - a very special time.

16. MadMax

honestly, i was rationalizing that if they could win Game 5, in Phoenix, that the pressure would be squarely on the Suns to not choke it away again.

but this is a very different team from those 95 Rockets.

and it's not like i won't be rooting for them.