1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most amazing/memorable places in the world you have been to in your life?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AroundTheWorld, Apr 6, 2023.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

We just got back from St John a couple of weeks ago. The beaches and water were good of course but what amazed me was some of the yachts. They make the boat Clarence Thomas was on look like a dingy. I just couldn’t get over how big they were and how much it costs to fill up. And at marine gas price.

Also how do the locals afford bacon at $16 for a 12 oz pack? But you really can’t put a price on bacon.

Edit: added a pic with exhibit A in the background. Zoom in. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0c2lte-TrWbNVTre7Gux1-Zag

#41 ArtV, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you want a trip to attain a goal do the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. The most common is the four day trip that sees several Inca sites, goes through cloud forests, goes up to almost 14,000 ft elevation and then down to about 8,000 ft. There is also a five day trek. I did the four day but was talking to someone who did both and they said the five day is much more demanding with hiking above the snow line even in summer.

You can also go to Machu Picchu without the trek as there is a train from Cusco to a town at the base of Machu Picchu and buses. The feeling of accomplishment though reaching the Sun Gate at dawn after hiking is amazing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#42 rocketsjudoka, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Shove but if I had a shiv I might’ve been tempted too.

Zboy likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Their basketball team will be forever tainted with evil but Utah is a beautiful state.

I was looking into going to Alta this month to do some late season skiing now that my doctor has given the Ok but work and family obligations are keeping me from going now.
    southern Utah is one of my favorite places in the US with Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell and the Virgin River valley.

VooDooPope and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Great thread. I've been to a lot of places including every continent but Antarctica yet I've missed Central America and the only place I've been to in the Carribean is Haiti. Would love to check out Belize, Costa Rico, Jamaica and Cuba.

I might never go back but the PRC is an amazing country with some incredible sites and scenery. The Great Wall and Forbidden City live up to expectations.
    [​IMG]
    There are also many other parts that are incredible such as Sichuan Province and Emei Mountain which is one of the sacred Mountains of Buddhism. There is a golden temple at the top with a four headed Buddha.
    [​IMG]
    Sichuan Province also has pandas.

Xi'an is the ancient capitol and still and has the anciet city walls around it. Outside is also the tomb of the First Emperor with the Terra Cotta Warriors.
    [​IMG]

Invisible Fan and ArtV like this.
  6. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Interlaken, Switzerland
    West Maui Molokai via helicopter
    Sanxiantai in Taitung, eastern Taiwan

Breathtaking views

Invisible Fan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

@rocketsjudoka

FYI… my parents and a couple pairs of traveling buddies all have been to Jamaica and said it was terrible. I mean I’m sure that there’s little nicks that are great, but overall poorly reviewed.

Not a necessarily stunning place but I go to Aruba every year, so I have a good buddy down there. The people are super nice.

ArtV and rocketsjudoka like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I would be curious about what your parents and their friends were expecting and what type of vacation they were looking for. I've been to Haiti, rural Philippines and several places following natural disasters. A five star resort is nice but I'm also interested in learning about the culture and local experiences. While Haiti and the Philippines were what people expect, desperately poor and dirty, there was also beauty and in some ways the lack of development helped as the sights weren't surrounded by tourist development and hawkers constantly trying to sell stuff.
    This is the Sol Duc Waterfall in Haiti.
    [​IMG]

I'm interested in Jamaica not just for the beaches and natural beauty but as the place where Ska and Reggae came from.

Nook likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Another incredible memorable place is Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom in Cambodia. The area around Siam Reap has those and many many other temples. For those who are more squeamish it is the most tourist friendly part of Cambodia.
    [​IMG]

Ziggy likes this.
  10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Got to travel into North Korea to the Kumgang (Diamond Mountains) special tourist resort. The hiking was spectacular. It was a well kept, modern facility, but there were soldiers everywhere. Pretty cool experience. I believe it is closed down now because someone got shot for crossing into an area they weren't supposed to be in or something.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fixna go to SANTORINI. Anyone been?

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Dubai - amazing & simultaneously disgusting display of wealth. The cars lined up at the mall were probably worth 5X my house.
    Dehli - Spent 2 days in the slums. It didn't help that I had just traveled from Dubai. It was an eye-opening experience.

Niagra Falls - If you go, you absolutely have to take the boat trip. The power of the rushing falls 50ft away is amazing.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  13. GIGO

GIGO Member

Ziggy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would love to go to Santorini, have only been to Mykonos and a few other places in Greece. Unfortunately, Santorini is where my wife's mother passed away (before I got to know my wife), so it is unlikely we will travel there.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Went to Mauritius for two weeks for work once (while staying at a 5 star resort for work). The resort was great and its a wonderful country. The country is 60% Indian but its like Quebec in that it is French speaking former British colony (but everyone is bilingual so speaking English isn't an issue). A tropical island with a mix of Indian, British and French culture while being safe and easy to travel was a fun experience. We didn't have a chance to visit Reunion next door but I only heard great things about it as well.

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen it mentioned but Crater Lake in OR is spectacular.

17. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

how was traveling in switzerland? language barrier? welcome to tourist?

as for me:
    Phi Phi Islands
    Scuba Dive Cozumel
    Oregon coast - ecola state park amazing forest

dmenacela likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Hmm... I have been a lot of places.

I would say the most memorable place, from the standpoint of being timeless is Newgrange in Ireland.

It is an ancient monument, well over 5,500 years old.

What makes it impressive is that it is at the highest point - it is in excellent condition........ it takes awhile to drive to.

Once you are there, the bus leaves the ancient dirt road, and on top of Newgrange you have a 360 degree view and there is nothing that isn't at least 500 years old for as far as you can see, in the entire panorama. There are fields but the fences are cut thatch that are many hundreds of years old - there are no cars, there are no paved roads....... there is the river, trees, old cottages, fields and sheep.... that is it.

India sucked.

AroundTheWorld and rocketsjudoka like this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You just described a lot of Arkansas. Thanks for saving me the money of going to Ireland. :D

20. Nook

Nook Member

Ha - Nah, it really is worth it........ Ireland is clean, no pig carcasses strewn everywhere or meth tents.