1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

2. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Makes sense, it's almost a move most never thought Texans would ever consider.. I'm still shocked they made the move! I'm intrigued how these will turned out for sure.

red5rocket and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

he pretty much said that in his interview when asked about the Texans

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Hey Now! had an excellent take about Ryans possibly using him in a Bosa-like role. Either way the Texans benefit and that's what matters most.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What a BOLD MOTHER ****ING MOVE - bout time we had a team with some balls.....

Two best players in the draft IMHO.....who cares about next year.

Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead !

DD

6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Thanks.
    I thought that overpaying by MORE than the value of the #1 overall pick sounded more than my "guess-timation" was!
    Even Nick wouldn't be THAT stupid!
    Giving them an "extra" late 1st is STILL an unreasonable overpay imo.

I REALIZE that Demeco not only wants good players but also needs leaders to instill the "culture" he wants in the locker room.
    If WA was a Von Miller type player I'd be more inclined to accept it but it's widely thought that he's NOT that level a prospect.

I'm also just really tired of Caserio as our gm.
    When he's gone and the last vestiges of the B.O.B./Easterby/New England influence are out of the organization it will be a joyous day for me as a Texans fan!

Deep Steel Truth likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Shrunk to 4’10

Rockets FTW likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I just didnt see this draft as some others did with the QB talent. I think all of these kids will be decent, but I dont see starpower. I dont think the gap was as big as you make it out to be between 1-5 at the position, but its ok if you view it that way.

Giving up a ton of picks for a defender is always risky.

9. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Unless Hannah is in his ear saying GET THEM BOTH

10. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

And Isn't Rick Smith the godfather to one of Cal's children.

Verbal Christ and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

But, honestly... your opinion here doesn't really matter (nor, does mine) because we now know what 32 NFL teams thought. Young and Stroud were clearly the two top-rated prospects. And we know this because a) there was a market to get to 1 and 2; b) no one kicked the tires on giving up assets to draft AR at 3 (though there would've been for Stroud); c) the consensus 4th and 5th-rated QBs are still available.

Giving up a ton of picks is risky, regardless of position. But I've always found defensive players easier to project and less likely to flat-out bust.

Two Sandwiches and MadMax like this.
  12. mightybosstone

That's my thought as well. Also, I think sometimes we get caught up in "is this guy going to fit the scheme that coach wants to play?" rather than considering that coaches can adapt their scheme to fit their personnel. If you get great players, coaches and players can both adapt a bit to make it work. Like I'm not saying Ryans is suddenly going to shift the entire defense to a 3-4 for one guy, but can he play a hybrid at times or find different ways to use a guy like Anderson rather than always playing on the end with his hand in the ground? I have to think so.

Genesis, HillBoy and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. a time to chill

That moment was the first time I shouted "Go Nick!" during his tenure here.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not really clearly seeing as AR was picked promptly at 4 by a division rival no less. You're making assumptions too about nobody kicking tires on AR seems like INDY wasnt going to budge on whom they were picking no matter what if you ask me from the other side of the debate. This draft was not viewed as a QB heavy (talent wise) draft to begin with, it just so happened that there were a number of teams looking to fix that position and were willing to take some risks. I think among most draftnik communities that I visit the feeling is that you are OK to give up the farm for a QB, but not on defensive players and there is some truth to that.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Given the fact that we have 10 picks remaining in this draft, I'd like to trade into the 2nd round for a WR. Someone like Mingo, Mims, Dell, Dotson, etc. would all be good options depending on where the Texans have them on their board. I think it's necessary to give Stroud at least one more option.

I'd also try to move up in the 3rd if need be (or stay put if your guy falls to you) to take a C. There's lots of really good options in the rounds 2-3 range that can be day 1 starters. JMS, Tippman, Avila (if they chose to slid him over from G), Wypler. All those guys would be really good picks.

An underrated pick could be a TE. There's lots of good ones left. The Iowa kid (don't remember his name), Musgrave, Mayer, Georgia kid, Old Dominion kid. I know we have Schultz, but he's on a one year deal and it can't hurt to give Stroud another big body to target over the middle of the field.

Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was jumping for joy. It was so unexpected. I was torn between a QB and defensive stud and we got both! Woohoo Love it! I'd even love to see us move up in the 2nd for another stud WR or best available necessity.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Fake news. BoB got fired up too.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. HTM

HTM Member

Is losing the 1st round pick next year on a team with a lot of holes worth it?

That pick maybe top 5 ...

cmoak1982 likes this.