1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They're (likely) going to use him the way DeMeco Ryans used Nick Bosa. I don't think they'll be looking at another team that has nothing to do with them for inspiration/direction.

red5rocket likes this.
  2. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah because the only reason Lovie got the job was because of a black coach, Brian Flores. Had Flores not filed his lawsuit there is no way in Hell Lovie would have been the coach. Lovie wasn't fired because he was black. Lovie was fired because he sucked. Now I'm not saying the Texans wouldn't have hired a different black coach instead of Lovie, but the Flores lawsuit and Cal's meddling ran off all the other options.

3. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Also had they drafted Anderson 2nd there would have been much more competition for the 3 spot with other teams wanting Stroud

gfab-babyboi and Hey Now! like this.
  4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

These guys view them as pawns. I really like (and believe in) DeMeco but his hiring was as much a PR move as a practical coaching decision. And it worked - it re-energized the fanbase and helped change the narrative nationally about this organization. If the team's fortunes were to go south (for whatever reason) they wouldn't hesitate one second to give him the Culley/Lovie treatment.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Bob McNair had some eye raising moments in race relations, but he still employed Rick Smith as a black GM. This team has had 3 black coaches in a row. Playing the race card is nauseating. Hard to take anyone serious when they resort to those thoughts.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So in essence ARZ passed on what we feel was a sure thing? I dont know about that. I love Will as a prospect, but I think you could have built a strong D and kept ALL your picks if you played this a little different, but thats just the amatuer GM in me. You could have taken Will at 2 and then moved up for a QB, but then it seems the team was sold on CJ as their guy. I understand the perspective and strategy involved and I respect this team for taking a chance. I cant wait to tune in for Texan games next year and its been a while since I've said that.

8. HillBoy

First, I agree with you that Lovie was well past his prime as a HC in the NFL. But remember: Cal, Jack and Nick were going to hire McCown (who was totally unqualified) but the Flores lawsuit blew that plan up at the last minute. They settled on Lovie because they considered him to be disposable - which, as events would later show, is exactly what he proved to be.

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

That WR corps actually isn't too bad. Just need a true #1 threat.

bcast89, ROXRAN and red5rocket like this.
  10. HillBoy

Yeah, me too.

coachbadlee likes this.
  11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

12. Hey Now!

I said this in another post - don't fall victim to all the noise and nonsense of the past several months. There were two - and only two - elite-level QB prospects in this draft. So if you pass on Stroud at 2, you've lost him and paying a premium to trade back up for a kid rated no higher than 3rd on your QB board. We can drag them for the Anderson deal - but giving away assets to get your 3rd-best QB, honestly, is significantly dumber.

And I don't think Arizona passed on a sure thing as much as they, like the Texans, have a bunch of needs and likely (probably correctly) surmised the eventual draft haul was simply better than just drafting Anderson, regardless of how good he might be.

moonnumack likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

...... that's kind of like saying the offense isn't bad. Just need a franchise QB.

If you don't have a legit WR1 then your receiving corps is not very good.

HillBoy likes this.
  14. Jayded

Jayded Member

The math doesn't check out on the concern though:

• Houston value = #3 (2929) + 1#105 (239) = 3168 total points
    • Arizona value = #12 (2175) + #33/2nd pick in 2nd round (1382) + 2024 1st/graded as 2023 mid-2nd (1015) + 2024 3rd/graded as 2023 mid-4th (195) = 4767
    This chart has far higher value in 2nd and 3rd round picks in most I've seen to be fair. Most models typically crash after round 2, meaning rounds 3+ are throw ins for that final kicker to make one side balance a tad more because you need another 100-200 points to finish things.

If we use this model, the Cardinals win by 1599 points, again aggressive compared to others, but would result in them winning by the value of the 28th or 29th pick in the first round this year. That's the worst case scenario of lopsidedness of value.

moonnumack and rfrocket like this.
  15. HillBoy

No you missed my point here. They aren't in any way or fashion looking at the Cows for inspiration. I was merely speculating that he'd be perfect at blowing up offenses in much the same way that Parsons does up here. You do make a good point about using him like Bosa. Either way, this was a great pick.

Xopher likes this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

We need to add real talent sometime or we will always be bottom feeders.

The constant 1 year deals on average talent is getting this franchise nowhere. Granted, there were a few good free agent signings this off-season, but are they a part of the future?

This org needs to take some chances and start stacking this roster. Hopefully last night is the start of something big.

bcast89 and dholi_1 like this.
  17. houston19519

houston19519 Member

I got you, I guess my argument is if he becomes and all pro.. I don't think you ever overpay for that. Let's see what happens..

red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he does. He was my favorite player in the draft

19. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we knew going in any move up would include one of the 1st from next year .. that’s the benefit of having 2 of them next year.

Like I said can’t make some folks happy will complain about anything …sad way to live

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not complaint about the pick, love the pick

gfab-babyboi likes this.