1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wow - giving up our own pick is wild. First time HC, rookie QB. SMH. Hope this trade works out thats a hell of a gamble to start a regime.

Rockets34Legend likes this.
  2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

C and WR.

deb4rockets and coachbadlee like this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I actually think he’s better but if we went Bryce, I would’ve callled for JMS

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s fair I think. I just want a real center

red5rocket likes this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

JMS
    Tippmann
    ARK Center
    Wypler
    Scruggs

There are a few centers that can be had

HillBoy and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. houston19519

houston19519 Member

They have multiple draft picks plus a bunch of cap coming into next year. This roster will get filled out nicely. Love the move

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Still traded away a future first and third.

Again, I love the pick but there’s no denying it was an overpay

houston19519 likes this.
  8. Qan

Qan Member

Hoping to pick a WR that can get down the field and pray he becomes our bigtime receiver. Hoping Nico grows and stays healthy next year, and Metchie to stay healthy and able make a big difference.

deb4rockets, red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Right, but Caserio and DeMeco are basically saying "we will be better than the Browns next year" --- I dont know how to feel about that. Love the confidence, but man that could also turn into a reckless comment just as soon.

houston19519 and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Nico has to take the next step, he’s the only guy that fits the prototype on the team.

red5rocket likes this.
  11. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Folks complaining about the trade are just complaining - by next year draft it’s possible Texans end up with more picks via trade

Once they got CJ it basically killed the market for 3rd pick … giving up 12 is nothing … 33 only hurts if you could of kept it and used it to move up and grab a WR

weakfromtoday and MadMax like this.
  12. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Look at our schedules next year. It’s not unreasonable to think that we could have a better record with a worse team.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Gave up a lot more than then.
    If it was just this years picks then it would be no issue

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He was the highest rated player in the draft.

dholi_1 likes this.
  15. mightybosstone

Unquestionably. But the thing I like about it is removing the unpredictability of the draft. I didn't love the options at 12, and Caserio didn't exactly nail his mid-round 1st last year. We had no clue who would be there at 33. The first round next year might as well be a decade away in terms of what we know about it and how the team will look.

Anderson's no lock to be a future Hall of Famer by any means. But he was as sure a thing as there was in this draft to be an impact defensive player, and if you can lock down a guy you love, it feels like you're getting a huge payday now vs. a bunch of lottery tickets. If he pans out to anything close to his potential and the team can get enough wins to push that Cardinals back out of the top 10, I'll say it's worth it. If he struggles and the pick is in the top 5, Caserio should lose his job.

Red.Glare and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Vegas has projected the Texans to win 5.5 games and the Browns to win 9. There's a reason for that.

Im cool with the confidence and fan support and frankly love that Caserio and DeMeco feel strongly about what they are building - Im just trying to remain realistic about what a year 1 team will look like being built up from scratch.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

edit: if our pick translates to a top 3 pick and the Browns pick lands in the teens or later its going to hurt.

18. Qan

Qan Member

Was that before or after they drafted Stroud and Anderson? I feel those two will make a big difference, along with DeMeco/coaches, and scheduling....Texans have legit chance of making a drastic turnaround next year.

Or I'm just praying to myself they do.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its done after the schedules are released. Not sure how much rookies impact a subsequent wins total forecast, but that will be something to keep an eye on. Rookie QB/HC combo being better than 6 wins is a stretch to me, but anything is possible I guess.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Going further losing #33 with guys like Branch, Porter Jr, Sanders, Washington and Simpson sitting there is a tough pill to swallow. I cant help but feel we gave up too much to move up 1 slot mental gymnastics as to "why" we did it notwithstanding.

Rockets34Legend and cmoak1982 like this.