1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun>Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by juanming, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

**** that scrub Mobley! Sengun is 10X better than that scrub anyday! Mobley belongs on the bench

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

In order to be an effective center, Mobley needs to put on a great deal of weight. I always thought he was a tweener and I think he will be a pretty good role player eventually. Jabari will be able to play 3-5 much more effectively than Mobley after this off-season when he puts on about 20 lbs of muscle.

JusBleezy likes this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Guys I hate to break it to you but mobley is good and will get better .

injuries can happen to anyone so let’s exclude that .

but dude can easily add 5-7 lbs a year for 2-3 years . He is already a good defensive player and he’s 7 foot freaking tall .

he played 30+ mpg on a playoff team . Yes his teammates were better , but he didn’t drag them down . To make positive impacts at 21 over 2 regular seasons is strong .

sengun is extremely talented . His nba path is already very different . Your contributions are judged differently on a winning team vs a bottom one . Sengun has been very effective in an increased offensive role .

If we ever prove to be an above .500 team , sengun will have to show what positive impacts he can bring .

they both need to work on their shooting and body over the next several years .

The clear case for which one will be better is not yet clear .

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Mobley was a finalist for DPOY this season.....I mean, I get that this is a cope/Sengun fan thread, but let's not be ridiculous.

If the Rockets could hit the "force trades" button and swap Sengun for Mobley, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

BallSoHarden, Plowman and tycoonchip like this.
  5. invocux

invocux Member

And shat the bed when it mattered the most. Saying that you'd rather have a high iq bb player in your team than a defensive 5 that needs to be spoonfed to score isn't coping. That's having a perspective. Not everyone wets his pants when he sees a defensive 5 who can only dunk.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Would it have been better if instead he had helped his team to one of the worst records in the league?

Like I said, this is nothing but cope. Sengun is a decent enough young prospect, but he's nowhere near the player or prospect Mobley is. The Rockets would dump Sengun AND first round picks in a heartbeat if they thought they could get Mobley.

In fact, if the Rockets offered Sengun plus this year's first round pick if it ends up #2 or later, and the Cavs would be the team to turn them down.

tycoonchip likes this.
  7. invocux

invocux Member

The Mobley on the court and the Mobley on your mind are 2 different Mobleys. Right now he's a toothpick who can't score unless he is spoonfed. We can discuss about this again in the future if he ever becomes the player that you think he currently is.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Mobley on the court was a DPOY candidate THIS season.....how is that different than what I'm saying?

I know, I know, causals think basketball is just flashy offense, but there's not a team in the league that takes Sengun over Mobley despite a few highlight passes.

BallSoHarden, Plowman and tycoonchip like this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

10. invocux

invocux Member

Oh yeah that's only what he does. Just flashy passes. Not the hooks, not the footwork, high efficiency or anything he's just a highlight boi. There was not a team who would take Jokic over Saric either but **** got interesting. It's almost like nothing is certain in life and people make mistakes.

JusBleezy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun isn't Jokic, he's not even a little bit close.

At all.

Back to the topic of this thread, on one hand you have one of the best defensive players in the entire league, on the other you have a gimmicky Turkish tweener. Sorry, but you shouldn't set Sengun up for failure by comparing him to his superiors.

12. invocux

invocux Member

Not saying Sengun is Jokic i'm saying you can't really know who is gonna end up better down the line but you are not the sharpest tool in the box. I mean if you can't even tell Green will be better than Brewer why would anyone take you seriously? This is essentially you telling people that water isn'T healtier than coke and then prescribing them a diet and expecting them to stick to it.

If Sengun isn't Jokic which i didn't say he is, Mobley isn't Garnett/Bosh either lol. I know quite a lot of sophomore sensations who turned out bang average bblers. It happens time will tell.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nobody does.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry kid, you can speculate about the kind of player you hope Sengun miracles his way into becoming one day, but as of right now, he's a slow footed undersized C that is a defensive liability on one end and is inconsistent on the other.

Now compare that to someone who is ALREADY a DPOY candidate.....

I'll go with what already is vs your hopes and dreams.

15. invocux

invocux Member

The fact that you think that he's inconsistent on offensive end tells me what i need to know about you lol.

And sorry i'd rather have a player who can actually score, not the DPOY candidate that collapses as soon as regular season ends. This is the reality we live in, the only reality really. Till he proves otherwise Mobley is nothing more than a regular season sensation who wets his pants in the playoffs. The question is what are you gonna do about this reality? You gonna stay in the matrix or unplug yourself from the power source?

HardenReturns likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I know, you're one of the Sengun worshippers, it's fine.

Basically either Euros or a certain kind of casual that likes to talk about how good guys like Jokic, Dirk, and Larry Bird are......

Anyway, do keep watching basketball, perhaps one of these days you'll start to figure the game out a bit more.

17. invocux

invocux Member

Hope i can be as good as you one day, master. I've thoroughly studied your Green-Brewer prediction and i think KPJ is the next Allen Iverson am i doing fine so far?

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hate to break it to you kiddo, but you're not doing all that well. I get that you're trying to troll, but you're just seemingly not very bright so it's falling flat.

When you go the route of just saying dumb things because you have nothing of substance to say, it just makes you look bad....it's not an effective tactic.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

They both have different strengths. Mobley didn't do well in these playoffs, but he is a good player.

Here are their per 36 and advanced stats from Stathead (keep in mind, Mobley is more than a year older than Sengun).

upload_2023-4-27_22-53-58.png
    upload_2023-4-27_22-54-11.png

Mobley's win shares are higher, but I think that simply has to do with his team having gotten more wins. Mobley gets more blocks/36, but Sengun gets more steals. Sengun fouls more and has more turnovers, but beats Mobley in rebounds/36, assists/36, points/36, FT%, 3P%, PER.

As expected, Mobley's DBPM and DWS are clearly better.

As many mentioned, who knows how Mobley would have done under Silas, and without being spoon fed by people who are actually good passers.

If you factor in where they got drafted (3 vs. 16) and correspondingly how much money each of them makes right now, I think it is fair to say that Sengun is producing very well for his draft position.

I briefly looked at a Cavs forum and there was one poster who - of course - said Mobley is great, but he also said that he thought Sengun could end up being the best player from that draft or something like that.

Next year should be interesting.

P.S.: Obligatory:

vs.

#159 AroundTheWorld, Apr 27, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

They are two diff players. If you could mold the two together, they would be the best young bigman prospect but that's not how it works. At this point there is no one in their right minds that would take Sengun over Mobley knowing what they know now if they redid the draft. You can teach alot of things but you can't teach WingSpan and height. Both of those things Mobley has over Sengun. Combine that with hops and foot speed, Mobley is just an amazing specimen. His ability to score will come with time and bulking but his impact on the game when he isn't scoring is clear.
    If we're taking players based on ceiling, I'm taking Mobley over Sengun 10 out of 10 times and I like Sengun.