1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are your ceiling comps for your top players in this draft class?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by OremLK, Apr 26, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

• Wemby - Nobody. Literal Monstar. Alien unicorn come down to earth to play basketball. Playstyle is kinda similar to KD, but he's as much taller than KD as KD is than Dame Lillard.
    • Scoot Henderson - Isiah Thomas. A comp I've really started to like. Similar size, similar playstyle. He's that kind of intense junkyard competitor, skilled finisher, and shows the potential to be that kind of playmaker. Like Thomas, he's not that much of a perimeter shooter and is better at shorter pops. (Though granted, Thomas played in an era when 3Pers were rare, so who knows how he could have shot in today's game.)
    • Amen Thompson - John Wall, but taller. I honestly really struggled with this one. Wall still isn't quite right, but it's the closest I can come up with in terms of a guy who came into the league with essentially no jump shot who was pretty much a downhill player as a scorer and loved playing in transition while being a good passer/creator for others. But the thing is, comparing tape from his rookie season, Wall, as great as he was, still was not as good of an overall athlete as Amen is, and he isn't as long either. He was a better ballhandler though. Amen is a unique prospect--very few guys have his ridiculous generational athleticism at 6'7" in the first place, let alone combining it with point guard-level passing ability and court vision.
    • Brandon Miller - Danny Granger. I see Miller as just a passable defender in the NBA, nothing special. If he manages to translate his shot creation, I think he tops out around Granger's level. The one thing he might have better than Granger did is passing ability. I could see him averaging around 3 assists per game in the NBA.
    • Jarace Walker - Joakim Noah with a jump shot. Another tough one, good passing big men are becoming more common but have not been a common archetype historically. Ultimately I feel pretty comfortable with this comp except I think Walker will score a bit more than Noah did since he shows signs of being able to stretch the floor a bit. A bit of a weird one since Walker has been a PF and Noah was a center, but ultimately I think Walker might end up playing better as a small ball, switchable 5, and their wingspans are very similar. Similar mobility, high IQ, work ethic and hustle, size & strength. I see DPOY upside in Walker (an award Noah won in 2014).
    • Ausar Thompson - Andre Iguodala. I don't know if Ausar will ever be a great shooter, but I think he will be good enough to keep teams honest. So, we're going Iggy here. Ausar is a similarly good athlete and playmaker and projects to be a similarly elite defender.
    • Cam Whitmore - Rudy Gay. I've come off of Whitmore a little lately due to concerns with his passing and decisionmaking. I think Whitmore will try harder and be more consistent on defense, so perhaps by doing it on both ends he will end up being a better overall player than Gay, if he reaches his ceiling. On offense, though, I've started to worry he's a little too one-dimensional and needs the ball in his hands too much to produce, and might not be efficient enough despite excellent strength and athleticism. Could be a great 6th man type if he does turn out to be a very good defensive player?

#1 OremLK, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023