1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets should target O.G. Anunoby, not Jaylen Brown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 21, 2023.

1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

News Flash!

They're not trading Green or Bari.

If smart, they'll keep our core, get rid of the dead weight and use the cap space wisely to bring in solid vets that will round out and balance the roster. In doing so, they keep all the pks and assets for flexibility going forward. Rebuilds normally take many years. We've been through two. Be patient. Bring in the right coaching staff and vets to correct the culture and let the core grow.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Great news - the Raptors likely disagree as well because there's no indication of them wanting to tank for younger players
    This would be wise counsel - if the Rockets hadn't gotten rid of the next 3 drafts for Russ.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Mathloom and Believe It! like this.
  4. SamFisher

No, we didn't.

We mitigated some damage but sitting around and hoping Brooklyn is bad (they're not currently and have no plans to be) is an entirely different thing than playing the tank-lotto game with your own draft rights when you are a bad team

BallSoHarden likes this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Phew, I'm super high on our guys and I would put them as borderline untouchable, but even I'd trade them for an SGA or maybe Luka, Tatum, young superstars like that, as long as I thought there was a high chance of that guy sticking around and not demanding a trade/creating issues. But realistically, I agree they're untouchable for anyone who will actually be available this offseason, including Brown, who is in the range of 20th to 30th best player in the league and you're not winning jack sh** if he's The Guy on your team.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Are you seriously suggesting we continue to tank? For how many years?

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's amazing how NBA teams apparently according to Sam Fisher never keep the players they draft unless they are Lebron or Luka right off the bat.

dmoneybangbang and Mathloom like this.
  8. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I’d gladly take any of O.G. Anunoby, Jaylen Brown, or Mikal Bridges. Whichever is willing to come here for future firsts (Nets picks). They all fit with this roster.

dmoneybangbang, Mathloom and xaos like this.
  9. SamFisher

No I'm suggesting the Rockets can't tank even if they wanted to and that overvaluing the "young core"- the way many people here do - is exactly the type of thing a team that can't tank should not do

DaDakota and tycoonchip like this.
  10. SamFisher

Thus far the vaunted Nets picks have resulted in Tari Eason, unused swap, and unused swap.

There's 2 firsts and 2 swaps left. None of those things is remotely close to landing any of those players.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not advocating for that. I was responding to another poster who scoffed at the notion that they would even be interested in one of our young core for OG. I wouldn't trade any of them for OG.

larry cook and Mathloom like this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

My bad, thanks for the clarification.

You’re right, they would love to have our core. The only player they’re protecting in trade talks right now is Barnes so that tells you how much they care about young talent even if there are some flaws.

mfastx likes this.
  13. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

IDK if the Rockets can take on Harden, OG & Capela but maybe there is a order in which it works…

HOU IN: OG & Clint Capela
    ATL IN: Tate, Garuba & #20
    TOR IN: KPJ, KJ & 2024 BRK PICK

Draft Wemby, Sign Harden

Harden/Tyty
    Green/JC
    OG/Tari
    Smith/Sengun
    Wemby/Capela

Maybe throw in some 2024 2nds instead of KJ?

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Well at least we know who to blame it on now. I always thought it was the owners, GMs, coaches and players. All the time it was US. :(

xaos and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Rockets can't afford to tank any longer, they don't have their picks....so, now we have to trade some of the assets we have for proven players.

If possible.

You try to keep your 2-3 best in Green and Bari, but if you have their positions covered by like talent in KPJ for instance, you might trade Green.

Everyone else is available including Sengun - this offseason is the ONLY one we will have a ton of cap room to play, UNLESS we take on Simmons contract to facilitate a Bridges deal, then you can potentially have cap space in 2 years as well.

DD

16. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Before we start targeting any player that is going to cost considerable assets, I think that we should at least wait and see what our draft position falls. If the pick is 3rd and you like Miller, do you still want to trade for OG or Brown? If we get Wemby do we still want to trade for Collins? Let's let the draft play out. At least then we will have a clearer picture. If we fall outside of the top 3 or 4 and decide to use that pick to trade for a vet, that pick may hold more value than anyone on our roster outside of Jalen and Jabari.

We still have to be patient and smart. Losing patience can lead us making a similar mistake as Minny or Atlanta. They got back "vets" but ruined there short term futures by jumping the gun.

DaDakota likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, coach hire first, then get draft position then decide.

DD

BaselineFade likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jaylen Brown averaged 27, 4, and 5 with supreme efficiency in this 1st round series against on Hawks…he made several big plays in game 6

this is why more and more people can’t take all these advanced stats often cited on here seriously

OG would never do that in any series…he can’t hold Brown’s jockstrap

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

My point was never that I actually think Anunoby is a better player than Brown. I don't believe that at all. I cited advanced stats to show that Brown might be a bit overrated and Anunoby underrated (which I still think is true--one playoff series doesn't change that). I just don't believe it's a good move to give up what Boston will ask for Brown. They have a long, long history of fleecing teams in trades and I don't think the Rockets should be next on the list.

It's probably a moot point about Brown anyway. Reports are he will stay a Celtic if he makes All-NBA and becomes eligible for the supermax, which he very likely will.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

all those advanced stats show is how vastly underrated Brown is and why they shouldn’t be taken seriously in a lot of cases

Brown did his thing all last playoffs as well including the finals, it’s not just 1 series

Danny Ainge was the main one who was doing the fleecing…he left Boston for Utah and immediately did it again with Gobert

the Rockets should absolutely target Brown if he doesn’t re-sign on a supermax