1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The impact of the cost of food to your food spending habits?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

the appeal is not feeling like driving 15-30 minutes or more there, and 15-30 minutes or more back…that’s when I use them

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

depends

if it’s something like pizza or a sandwich then yeah…if it’s Thai food, Indian food, Chinese food, etc then not really unless they take an hour plus

ROCKSS and NateNate like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Then just eat closer to home? Or cook?

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

If I planned on cooking on the day I ordered delivery, I wouldn’t be ordering delivery. What if I don’t want what’s closer to home? I stay in Sugar Land, it’s not exactly some hotbed of great food right around me.

5. Buck Turgidson

I can't help you then, Nostradamus.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

there’s nothing to help…I’m just telling the appeal of a delivery app…not sure why it’s hard to understand why people would use them

I also use them when I’m traveling and stuck in a hotel and don’t feel like roaming the city for a place to eat late at night

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Boo! Roaming the city for close restaurants/bars, after talking to the hotel staff, is one of the great perks of staying in a hotel in a strange city.

But I get what you're saying, sort of.

Blake likes this.
  8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK so thank you. I just subbed to America's test kitchen and I am so far very impressed.

Mango likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

CCity Zero, ROCKSS, Blake and 2 others like this.
  10. droxford

droxford Member

This touches on a subtopic....

In order to eat a fresh, delicious, cost-effective, and healthy meal at home, we have to ....
    plan the meals well ahead of time
    choose the days and locations to buy groceries
    try to hit sales and use apps & coupons to lower costs
    shop for groceries
    prepare meals, cook meals, and clean up after meals

...which can be a LOT to do on a regular basis. It takes much more investment in work and time. Some people just can't do that. This has negative side effects on people (less money in their pockets; more obesity, etc.)

MexAmercnMoose likes this.
  11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Inflation for everything else since last June is back in the normal range at 2.4% with "normal" being 2.0%. However, food inflation is running at 7.2% making the overall inflation rate 3.2%.

Don't expect food prices to stabilize for any duration--too many odd things from war in Ukraine affecting the breadbasket of Europe to floods and droughts hitting specific crops to there still being a few distribution issues. Plus, there's the greed factor of corporations, including grocery stores and suppliers, jacking up prices for profit and blaming it on inflation. Looking ahead, climate affects agriculture and will gradually become the primary driver of food price volatility around the world, including here.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The bird flu spread to Asia.

Taiwan imports 50,000 hens to crack severe egg shortage, halt panic buying

A severe egg shortage in Taiwan has seen the government import some 50,000 breeder hens, while supermarkets are rationing supplies and consumers are either paying higher prices or cutting back on the source of protein.

Egg shortages emerged on the island last month, with the government attributing the problem to the loss of 130,000 chickens during floods in 2018 and recent weather fluctuations that make laying eggs harder.

“A shortage of eggs is a problem in many countries due to outbreaks of avian flu,” said Gareth Leather, senior emerging Asia economist with Capital Economics in London.

“One implication of this is that Taiwan doesn’t have the option of importing more to ease domestic shortages. Prices in other countries have gone up as well, so there is no advantage of importing more from overseas.”

However, 50,000 breeder chickens arrived on the island this week as part of government efforts to boost egg supply, with another 250,000 set to be imported this year, the Council of Agriculture said on Monday.

The new birds will help farmers “accelerate the phase-out of low-yielding hens”, the government-run Central News Agency said.

Shortages of daily goods are not unusual in Taiwan. The island was hit by a severe lack of toilet paper in 2018, a shortfall in multiple dry goods at the start of the coronavirus pandemic in 2020 and low supply of paracetamol last year.

Brian Hoie, a Taipei-based analyst and founding editor of the Taiwan-focused New Bloom magazine, said people were cutting back on egg products until the shortages passed, although he added there could be some “hoarding behaviour”.

“However, that eggs can’t last past a certain expiration date may result in less hoarding and panic buying,” he said.

We urge customers that, because expiration periods are short for eggs, to buy appropriately and avoid hoarding PX Mart

Countries from Japan and South Korea to Britain and parts of the United States have also run short of eggs this year or watched prices surge, with bird flu the chief culprit.

In Taiwan, the Carrefour and PX Mart supermarket chains are restricting the number of eggs customers can buy per trip. This rule is a carry-over from shortages of toilet paper.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Just tried grass fed angus beef 85/15 for the first time yesterday. Never went grass fed before. Made a burger using Montreal Steak seasoning. That was a good burger, man! Tricked myself into thinking I was eating a Fuddrucker’s burger. That beef is definitely better tasting than the regular store packed ground beef. It’s healthier, too, even if a little more per pound. Must eat sparingly!

TimDuncanDonaut, cmoak1982 and ROCKSS like this.
  14. MexAmercnMoose

[​IMG]

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Isn't most of the stuff in grocery stores "grass fed"? Maybe not. I used to buy bison from a ranch around Paris, Tx. years ago (when it was cheap-er), and theirs was "grass finished". I think when they're "grass finished", they were fed grass, plants, etc. throughout their entire life while "grass fed" means, sure, they ate grass, but could've also been fed things like grain feed throughout their lives. Cattle that's been eating grass their entire life does taste different - some people dig it, some don't.

16. Surfguy

Yea...I didn't follow it around so I don't know what it ate. I would assume it ate grain, grass, soy, sh*t, and whatever. I threw the label out so I couldn't see whether the cattle finished with grass. F-ing labeling! It still tasted good imo.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  17. body slam

body slam Member

has anyone bought a 12 pack coke or dr pepper lately? I haven't because I can't afford it.

RJ2311 likes this.
  18. Surfguy

Try the Dr. Pepper hack:

A bottle of sparkling water and some black cherry flavored MIO. Spray MIO into the sparkling water until it turns pretty red. Now, you have what tastes like Dr. Pepper at zero calories.

I can't vouch for it but it became popular a few years ago on Twitter and the like.

19. Buck Turgidson

5$ for 2 20oz Mexican Cokes in glass bottles...I use them in cocktails every once in a while

20. Surfguy

That Bragg Organic Vinagrette. It's expensive but it's so GOOD! It's made salad fun again! Yippee! :)

I'm like making a big salad prep and having 3 or 4 a day (probably around 8 - 10 cups).