1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eason maybe young, but I wouldn’t call him unproven. He proved he belongs in the NBA. His ceiling might be unknown, but we’ve seen his floor.

NewAge and OremLK like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Previously posted some ideas if we sign Harden and draft at #5 (I had us taking Jarace Walker). But here's a scenario if we end up #2 and take Scoot Henderson (meaning no Harden).

---

Overall plan: Add about 10 wins this upcoming season by adding veteran leadership, a really good 3-and-D roleplayer to improve our spacing, and a young guy who can grab rebounds and block shots behind Sengun in the frontcourt.
    • Find a team to take KPJ and dodge that bullet since I doubt he'll take it well being asked to lose playing time to a rookie (Scoot)
    • Draft a combo guard to replace him down the road as a backup for both Scoot and Green
    • But the guy we draft at #20 probably isn't going to be ready to play serious backup minutes on a team trying to win, and we need some veteran leadership. So let's pick up a guy like Kyle Lowry or Ricky Rubio who is at the point in his career where he doesn't have enough left in the tank to start, but can still help mentor Scoot and be a coach on the floor for 20-25 minutes a game.
    • We also need to get better at spacing the floor and defending the perimeter. So let's sign a really good, young-ish 3-and-D wing in free agency to improve our defense and spacing. I'm going Cam Johnson for this but there are a number of available guys who could fill this role.
    • Now we have a plethora of wings--let's make a trade and get a young, rim-protecting center to play behind Sengun and maybe a bit behind Jabari as well.

Draft & Free Agency:

Draft: Scoot Henderson
    Draft: Colby Jones (or the best combo guard that falls to #20--this draft is stacked with guards and wings)
    Sign: Cam Johnson

---

Scenario #1: Detroit or Charlotte lands Wemby

Trade: KJ Martin + draft considerations to Detroit for Jalen Duren OR same to Charlotte for Mark Williams
    Trade: KPJ to Miami for Kyle Lowry

Scoot/Lowry
    Green/Jones
    Johnson/Eason
    Smith/Eason
    Sengun/Duren or Williams

---

Scenario #2: Orlando lands Wemby

Trade: KPJ to Orlando for Bol Bol (yep, I went there--bring me the Bol!)
    Trade: KJ Martin to Cleveland for Ricky Rubio + draft considerations

Scoot/Rubio
    Green/Jones
    Johnson/Eason
    Smith/Eason
    Sengun/Bol Bol

#1122 OremLK, Apr 18, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    theDude likes this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yeah, I was thinking that the money may not work out.

But if we have 60 and I was thinking Porter(16 million) and then shedding lower salaries in Eason, Tate, Washington gained us an extra 10-11 million.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

True. I hope he works out but I was turned off by the tunnel vision at the end of the year.

theDude likes this.
  5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Victor Build W/O Harden.

Cut Nix.

Draft Wembayama at #1.
    Move #20, Martin, Tate to move up Cason Wallace.

Cam Johnson 4 years 96 million. He signs knowing he will be 6th man.
    FVV 4 years at 112 million

KPJ+Garuba+Christopher and 2025 and on assets back to Brooklyn for Bridges

Wembayama/Sengun
    Smith/Eason
    Bridges/Johnson
    Green
    FVV/Wallace

5 of these guys should end up above average defensively this year and beyond.

sydmill and ApolloRLB like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like most of what's happening here, but bringing in two guys at the same position and paying a combined $46M seems a bit off. It seems like some of that money should be used elsewhere. I don't want to harp too much, especially without providing an alternative (which I may try to do later), but it just seems a tad unbalanced.

I do think it's a pretty formidable lineup, and the trades seem reasonable, but what would it look like if the Rockets draft at #5?

8. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Grizzlies offered 4 first round picks for him and still got laughed off the phone, that is nowhere near enough.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ahh cool. Where is the audio on that call i want to hear it

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Grizz’s four first round picks have virtually no value. All the Brooklyn picks have immense value, especially to the Nets if they want to tank. Unfortunately, I’m not sure they want to tank.

Y2JT and Aruba77 like this.
  11. sogood.

sogood. Member

Ahh you took my post literally, you must be a little slow.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Nah.

Anyone can tell I was being sarcastic. My sarcasm was transparent to show your hyperbole was over the top because you don’t know how close that was to being done. You are also equating low picks in the first round to the nets’ own picks.

Regardless thanks for the insult and personal attack. Typically the traits someone shows online when they are happy and successful!

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we land #3 in the draft:

Draft: Amen Thompson
    Sign: Brook Lopez, Josh Richardson
    Trade: KPJ for Mike Conley, Tari Eason + Jae'Sean Tate + Clippers pick + future pick(s) for O.G. Anunoby

Conley/Thompson
    Green/Richardson
    Anunoby/Martin
    Smith/Martin
    Sengun/Lopez

I think this team could be around 35 wins next season without sacrificing too much of the future. I like the odds of developing at least one superstar out of Green/Sengun/Smith/Thompson, I could see Anunoby having a Mikal Bridges-like breakout with a little bigger of a role, and Conley/Lopez would be great mentors for the young squad for a year or two. Nice overall balance of young players, players in their prime, and veterans.

#1133 OremLK, Apr 21, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Some good scenarios being thrown out there.

since the odds are more likely we’ll pick 3-5, I’m gonna assume no Scoot or Wemby. I’m also assuming Brooklyn will not trade Bridges.

Work out a sign and trade with Brooklyn for Cam Johnson and Claxton.

sign Harden to 3-yr deal
    sign Josh Hart

Trade currency = clippers pick and everyone not named Green, Jabari, Tari and Sengun.

Sengun/Claxton
    Jabari/Tari
    Cam/Tari/Hart
    Green/Hart
    Harden
    2023 draft BPA

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I just like the players. Bridges can play 1(a bit) 2 or 3. Johnson 3-5. They will occupy 70 min a game.

16. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Timberwolves traded DLo so that they can get an adult in the room. Their words not mine. KPJ is probably the last person they want. Raptors rejected better offers for OG including the possibility of drafting Shaedon.

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Harden
    Green
    Brown or Bridges
    Wemby
    Smith
    Second Five
    Reaves
    Murray
    Martin
    Eason
    Another player;
    Trade
    Sengun, Porter, Tate and Nix and Picks
    End of contracts
    Kamamsky, Days, Hudgins, Boban

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Both teams are in different situations than they were and may be looking to retool/rebuild after messy, disappointing seasons. Masai has been known to kinda turn on a dime and make sudden moves in the past, as well.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We know we are gonna sign at least one top level shooter. Who will that be?

Cam Johnson
    Austin Reaves
    Gary Trent Jr
    Grant Williams
    Kyrie Irving
    James Harden
    FVV
    Porzingis
    Russell
    Lopez
    Hart
    LaVert

All good 3pt shooters this yr

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We really need to get that #10 pick from the Mavs.

Wallace or Hendricks would be awesome, or even another surprise guy who falls like Black or Whitmore.

Erbnwarfare, fattz and Aruba77 like this.