1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kick the tires on Trey Lance?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by liveguy, Apr 19, 2023.

1. liveguy

liveguy Member

Absolutely not…but their QB of the future is Purdy and that’s evident.

I would assume they don't want send mixed messages once Purdy is healthy and ready to play, so they would rather get what they can for Lance now and plug in a serviceable guy like Darnold until Purdy is back and ready.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When a team is giving up on a 3rd overall pick this soon, no thanks unless we're talking like a 4th round pick or later

3. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Requoting this for the truth.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If they think Purdy is the real deal, he is significantly cheaper in the interim and they have him on that ridiculously cheap rookie contract through '25, the same year as Lance's 5th-year option. So it's one more year for SF of cheap QB costs. That has a lot of value.

Sooty and liveguy like this.
  5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm good with it if we're really out on Stroud. Would much prefer that to spending a 1st round pick on Levis or just kicking the can down the road entirely. Such a tiny sample size basically only 49ers/ex-49ers staff would have any idea about his potential/fair value at this stage in his career which puts us in a unique position. Wouldn't give pick 33 but possibly next year 2nd?

CVcrew and liveguy like this.
  6. Hey Now!

I don't think it's a case of the team "giving up" on Lance; I think it's more likely a team unexpectedly stumbling upon an as-good/better option that also happens to be significantly cheaper.

If this were merely SF trying to unload Lance with no other alternative, I'd certainly be cautious. But if Purdy is their choice - which doesn't necessarily reflect poorly on Lance - then it makes sense for them to try & recoup some of their investment in Lance.

7. texans1095

texans1095 Member

This is a no brainer. You can do Lance + 1.2 + 1.12 or you stay put and go just 1.2+ 1.12... and one of those miiiiight be a QB. This gives you a QB that you feel at least has a chance to develop and you still get to draft two high-impact players at 2 and 12. Imagine a draft of Will Anderson and JSN and then you add Lance to that as well. Worst case he shows that he's not the QB of the future and you use your 2 first round picks next year (and even your own 2025 1st if need be) to get into a position to draft Williams or Maye.

NOW, this only works if you truly don't believe in any of this year's QBs whatsoever. However, if the building is at the very least split on guys like Levis or Stroud, then I'd just go with one of them instead of possibly having to trade away serious draft capital next year.

Basically, I only trade for Lance if I'm absolutely convinced that none of the QBs this year, outside of Young, have franchise QB potential.

8. liveguy

liveguy Member

Exactly.

I think many just don't have the brain capacity to understand this.

Two Sandwiches and Sooty like this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

10. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

This! And I go Anderson and Bijan ( I play him in the slot A LOT) in round one. BPA rest of the draft. Still need a center.

jch1911 and texans1095 like this.
  11. liveguy

liveguy Member

Agreed 100%

This is easily the smartest way to address more holes AND add a QB with arm talent, the size they want and the play extendability they also want.

Lance player comp is Josh Allen.

Sooty likes this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Don’t forget about his nasty injury

justtxyank likes this.
  13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Purdy will be out for the majority, if not all, of the season. So they're punting on a season when the rest of their roster is ready?

14. Hey Now!

He's played three more games - and been in three more camps, three more offseason programs, three more weight rooms, etc. - than Young, Stroud, et al. You can not understate how valuable that is *if* you think Lance has something.

He's almost like a rookie with quite a bit of experience.

Sooty, Rudyc281 and liveguy like this.
  15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Im willing to trade for Lance, if Slowik and Ryans like him, for a 3rd round.
    Slowik coached him, so they definitely would ask him if he is worth it or not.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Why not trade for Lance, draft Stroud/Levis/AR, and dump Mills?

Have Lance start and if he sucks, put in our #2 pick while we have Keenum sitting as 3rd string.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If Lance cant stick in the Shanahan offense with Kyle as the mentor why do WE want him? The thirst is real!

18. liveguy

liveguy Member

Exactly.

They know better about Lance than any of us would and if they think its worth trying, go for it.

Just don't give up any 1st’s to do it.

19. liveguy

liveguy Member

That broken ankle plays a role in the why behind that “cant stick” part…

Could be a good thing because you get him for cheap (considering what they paid for him)….and if he can play and stay upright AND look halfway decent, its a blessing in disguise.

If not….you don't lose much and move on after the rookie deal is up.

jch1911 likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The kid couldnt even beat out Jimmy G and has been beaten out by an injured Purdy for the future of that position in SF. I'd rather draft one of the guys with question marks in this draft then think that Shanny's B Team HERE could turn him around.