1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Question is would Tyree Wilson fit better in DeMeco's 4-3 than Anderson?

Marshall Bryant and houston19519 like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Probably

red5rocket and Sooty like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

And I hope they don’t trade back up for a QB.

Rudyc281 and houston19519 like this.
  4. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Better yet I hope they can trade back and still be able to get him.

J.R. likes this.
  5. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

I agree with this sentiment. It's difficult to determine how much weight should be given to the S2, especially if it's a new test compared to the ones used in the 2020/2021 draft classes. We've seen high scores from players like Burrow and Fields on their aptitude tests, but ultimately, performance on the field should be the most significant factor.

While the S2 may be more valuable than the Wonderlic, I still believe that cognitive and intelligence tests used in sports may not accurately reflect the demands of the game. With so many variables at play on the football field, it's challenging for any test to completely assess a player's abilities.

Overall, I think the importance of the S2 should be relatively low, and a player's performance on tape should be the primary indicator of their abilities. A poor S2 score may suggest a lack of intelligent decision-making on the field, but this should also be evident from watching their gameplay.

#6145 Sooty, Apr 13, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That last part I absolutely agree with, I think the difficult aspect is not all players have the same circumstances to judge them against each other.
    Surrounding talent often dictates decision making or risk taking.
    Either way, the testing has correlated with success for the most part. Pretty interesting.

Sooty likes this.
  7. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

I don't buy any of this smoke for a second. I think the Panthers traded up knowing exactly who their guy was gonna be. Stroud balled out at both during the combine and at his pro day (notice that the Panthers traded up immediately after watching him throw at the combine - they must've felt convinced after seeing his performance). Not to mention the way the Panther's coaching contingent was glowing, literally all smiles, at Stroud at his pro day as well. I believe McCown even made a side joke to him about finding out who would be better at horse once he moves to Carolina.

Now all of a sudden all these "reports" of how Stroud is not easy to coach & how well Bryce did at the S2 test? This all screams smoke to me and a last ditch effort to get the Texans to offer something to move up. Don't see any world where Nick & co. are dumb enough to do that. I think they knew that CJ was the Panther's guy when they made that trade & therefore felt comfortable not having to make a swap with the Bears. They're probably comfortable taking either QB at 2 as well, knowing that there isn't a clear-cut choice at #1 and it's not often you're in position to take a franchise QB in the draft. Demeco is not gonna plan on tanking the team in his first year as a coach to get to the top of the draft again next year.

If for some reason the Texans are Young or bust at pick 2, they would be insane not to trade back for a monster haul for any team that wants Stroud. Heck, there are reports that teams are already talking with the Cards at #3, presumably offering a huge amount for QB3. Will Anderson Jr. is not worth more than the prospect of 2+ additional firsts from a QB hungry team. But again I think this is all the normal, pre-draft smoke and that QB's will come off the board at 1-2, with Stroud-Young in that order being the plan all along.

Two Sandwiches and moonnumack like this.
  8. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Trade back from 12 and then draft Hooker...If he sucks that means you have a crap year and get a high pick to draft another QB next year...If he doesn't suck you accumulate more picks...

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think it is well-proven that the surest way to tank in the NFL is to start a rookie QB. If we make the mistake of drafting a QB at #2 overall, then we are locking ourselves into a 11-12 loss season (at least).

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If AR-15 out scored ( on S2) Stroud or Young then it should be thrown out. Because Richardson is a slow processor unless he has decided to run pre- snap. I think Richardson would be a helluva TE though.

red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. Hawkeye84

Hawkeye84 Member

In your opinion

12. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Decemo already said on interview (regarding QB's), the player will play when he's ready - regardless if he's a rookie, 2nd year or vet. He didn't exclude the option of playing one right away or letting him sit. Either way, the team will have to roll the dice on a drafting a QB at some point. If you don't believe that Young/Stroud is the answer at 2, then you trade down for that monster haul. Doesn't seem to be a shortage of teams that are interested in trading up. The Cards fans are salivating at the thought of what they could get at 3 if the Texans don't take a QB - why not make that trade for yourselves if that were the case? At the very least, that gives the Texans much more ammo to improve their team or make a run at next year's top picks (although if Williams/Maye are that good, no QB needy teams will trade away those picks, no matter what you throw at them). I still think this is all bluffing though and that QB's will go off the board at 1 & 2.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think AR needs more time, he has the tools. But he is as they say, 2 years away from being 2 years away.

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I'm good with trading down, although I like Will Anderson and believe he is worthy of #2 overall. But if you can trade down to 3 or 4 and he's still going to be there, then obviously that's the move.

noscrusir likes this.
  15. raining threes

I've heard this from a guy that's friends with a couple of the minority owners.

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

No, no source. Just trying to prepare myself :rolleyes:

houston19519 likes this.
  17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Don't see why Arizona would trade up and seriously doubt the Texans would trade with Indy. That's why trading with Oakland makes sense to me at 7 IF you aren't taking a QB at 2.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

for
    1.4 and next year Colt's FRP and their best defensive player.

With next year Colt's FRP, the Texans draft Caleb Williams :D

19. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Problem is that Wilson is older and has history of foot injuries.

20. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I haven’t done the research on this, but there are multiple trusted analysts on The Ringer’s NFL Draft Podcast who vehemently disagree with the notion that Richardson is a long ways away from being a good QB. Again, I haven’t done the research necessary, but these guys obviously have and they feel very strongly that he’s not nearly as much of a project as many are making him out to be.

cmoak1982 likes this.