1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Coaching Search Tracker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Apr 9, 2023.

1. keeez

keeez Member

A lot of assumptions to be made about Nurse for him to end up here and I just don't see him leaving Toronto. I think Udoka is our most likely candidate, as damaged goods = bargain value for Tilman.

daywalker02 and BaselineFade like this.
  2. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I like Kenny Atkinson for head coach and scotty Brooks as an assistant

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know. A savvy highly experienced coach can make a case to Fertita for more influence in the front office given Stones lack of experience.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm hearing Clyde Drexler picked up his hat from the ring even though he is a perennial coach of the year

Jontro likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Thread didn't stand a chance. R.I.P. thread.

Jontro likes this.
  6. Jags

Jags Member

Really hope the front office moves quick and brings Udoka in for an interview this week. The biggest advantage we have at the moment is Detroit being our only competition on the HC market.

We'll be left with Vogel if spots open up in Philly, Toronto, Dallas, Chicago, etc.

BigMaloe, xiki, BaselineFade and 2 others like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

what happened to that abdul fatteh breh or watshisname?

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe the advantage would be women in the organization, be well.

9. Ancient Moabite

They should move quick but wisely and thorough, if a top tier (according to market) has to choose between Detroit/Houston then Houston looks like LA/Miami when comparing the two destinations

Vogel should be near end of tier

Jags likes this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sources - Mahmoud Abdul Rauf is NOT the leading candidate ar this time

xiki and Jontro like this.
  11. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

12. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

If Rockets know what their doing and have a clear action plan it’s Nurse, Atkinson, or Udoke. If they are clueless and want 3 more years of disgrace then it’s Brooks. Vogel would be fine, as he did well with the Pacers and most coaches who’ve had LeBron eventually get fired.

HillBoy and cheke64 like this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Rockets want to hire ASAP. if they do not have HC by the draft, it is an EPIC FAIL and be prepared for ... Mahmoud Abdelfattah.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I hear that Clyde wants a contract where he does not have to travel for road games.

Nook likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ets-coaching-search-rafael-stone-17888855.php

On the first day of the Rockets’ coaching search, general manager Rafael Stone’s phone was ringing enough for him to believe he can land the person the next stage of the rebuild will need. The heavy lifting comes next.

Stone will not wait long. The Rockets expect to begin interviews by the end of the week, two individuals with knowledge of the process said. They will initially target former head coaches Ime Udoka, Frank Vogel and Kenny Atkinson, with the pool of candidates that will be considered to succeed Stephen Silas expected to reach eight or nine, fewer than in previous searches but more than if the Rockets were to choose and chase a few favorites.

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4399192/2023/04/11/rockets-offseason-future/

John Hollinger: Rumors of Scott Brooks or Nick Nurse have been pinging around the Hoop Summit, but I also think the Rockets might want to tread a little more carefully than just, um, rocketing toward a reunion with a familiar face. Hiring a coach is a hard, time-consuming process if you’re doing it right — Daryl Morey interviewed 837 people before hiring Mike D’Antoni, for instance — but the benefit of bowing out in April is that the Rockets now have a broad window to meet with candidates, maybe even talk to a few out-of-the-box types, and figure out who truly fits.

Their next game isn’t for six months, so they don’t have to decide on a coach tomorrow, but I can tell you from experience that by mid-May the draft and free agency are going to be such time sinks that it will be hard to keep the momentum going on a coaching search. One hopes they already have a list of people they want to talk to and will hit the phones next week.

18. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

This Scott Brooks talk is starting to scare me.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

this franchise wouldn’t pilfer from his other franchise…

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

My sources tell me Bob Weltlich has no interest in coaching a rebuilding team.

Nook likes this.