1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Coach Silas Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Apr 9, 2023.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Too soon

2. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

He underwhelmed and was tactically outmaneuvered nightly (and seemed to have no ability to adjust), but it’s sad that he came in expecting Harden, Westbrick, and co. and ended up with “and co”. We should have gotten Allen in the Harden trade, too, so we ended up with a mess of a roster. 17 wins then 20 then 22… I would have hoped for a better run this season, maybe if he had gotten to 27-28 wins, they might have considered keeping him around to start next season, at least.

Happy to start fresh with plenty of cap space, and hopefully the #1 pick, and I’m sure Silas will pick up an assistant coaching gig somewhere. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy, but just overmatched and overwhelmed as the HC for a rebuilding squad.

evo8lover and Ubiquitin like this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Coach Silas preached about playing the right way and growing as a team. He did his best to lead a group of young men and a roster not built to win but to grow for the future and whatever he instilled in them and taught them he must have done right to earn their respect. KPJ and Green have been vocal about their appreciation for him. Sometimes the personnel doesn’t fit the system and on top of that lack of experience and on court leadership matters in this league and it shows especially with how the roster was constructed. It’s very difficult to coach in this league and he tried with what he had. Hopefully he built something here that will last a lifetime for these players.

HP3 and Ubiquitin like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Glad he’s gone. Baring a miraculous offseason I hope Stone gets the hook too.

DeBeards likes this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

literally the dumbest guy in the room, no matter which room he shuffles his feet into

HardenReturns likes this.
  6. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I am glad they are putting coach out of his misery. At best he is an assistant coach

evo8lover likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

You were a good person, which despite what anyone else here thinks about it, its one of the most important things you can be in life.

8. MystikArkitect

Put him on the Houston Coaching Mount Suckmore. One of the worst coaches I've ever seen in any sport. A comparable performance to what Silas did here is Roseanne singing the National Anthem.

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I mean, they just didn't show enough growth to justify keeping the man. I hate it, but the players didn't help his cause either. There isn't any reason not to move on from him unfortunately.

evo8lover likes this.
  10. Salvy

Salvy Member

I remember this one time The Rockets were playing really well going into the half, at risk of a win Silas came out with an incredible lineup that involved Nix and wow The Rockets came soaring down. They lost that game and I was glad to know he truly cares about the tank and Wemby being here next season. Will never forget how much work he put in and never complained. Will miss him!

[​IMG]

11. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Worst coach we have had, even Bickerstaff showed some promise here. But Silas is clueless about the HC position.

PeterKingX likes this.
  12. fattz

fattz Member

S M I L E !

DeBeards likes this.
  13. Ancient Moabite

Long live the........puppet master

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I feel like he gave it his best. I honestly don't think someone else would have impacted the win/loss record over the last 3 years all that much. Probably got us a worse pick is all.

But moving forward, I am good with a change. Depends on who doesn't it?
    The next guy is going to have his work cut out for him giving the locker room issues and certain player issues as well.

Hope Silas finds a happy NBA home somewhere.

15. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

I’m curious as to who the folks who want stone fired want as his replacement

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I just don't think he has the personality to be a head coach.

DeBeards and Easy like this.
  17. MystikArkitect

He doesn't. One thing I've noticed with good coaches/managers is that they come in and chop heads right away. You need to be feared/respected and Silas just didn't have that in him. Hoping the new guy comes in and cuts KPj right away.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

As I said elsewhere, I would think any respectable coach would make it a precondition that the guy is off the roster, for even taking the job.

There will be no culture reset without that.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Thanks for developing all time fame Nix.

DeBeards likes this.
  20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He can finally smile and nobody will be mad at him.