1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we just agree that KPjr is at minimum, an above average player...regardless of position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 9, 2023.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Waiting for news to come:

KPJ punched team employees when he saw shams and woj tweet on Silas. John Lucas follows KPJ to team hotel to supply him shrooms so he calms down.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He can sometimes make threes and he sometimes gets some assists, but he is detrimental to team success because he holds/dribbles the ball way too long, usually looks for his own shot first, and only passes it to someone else if he has no other option. He also seems to only pass selectively to certain people, and seems to overlook others on purpose.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I just think a starting pg bare minimum should be able to dish to open guys at the corner 3. That's another thing about "point guard" KPJ. His passes to teammates for assists are basic reads off the dribble. Stuff that even every shooting guard in the league can do. Even Green who isn't supposed to be a pg can do every pass that KPJ can do.

OremLK and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yes. Every scouting report on KPJ coming into his draft said he was a pure shooting guard and mentioned questions about his court vision and passing ability. This is nothing new.

He is just not a point guard, full stop, end of story.

He is also too small to play the 3 full-time, although he could possibly get away with it at certain times.

His only potential long-term role on the Rockets is off the bench. And given how... fragile... he's been in the past, I have my doubts about whether we can make that work.

ramotadab and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We can’t call KPJ above average and Green or Smith below average.

KPJ is a very talented guy, but I don’t love his fit for our organization. It’s just a personal opinion, but I think that something lurks below the surface attitude wise.

if we go forward with him on the team, I really hope that he becomes 6th man. I don’t know how that works with this group of player and the incoming draft picks in free agents but I could definitely see him flourishing in that role somewhere else.

6. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

I think poor coaching, limited structure, young age, poor accountability, and too many true shooting guards on the team are a greater issue. I think he and Green are interchangeable. Also to an extent Josh Christopher.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, I'm sure this is the thread where everyone comes to a happy medium about a Rockets player. Let us read.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Kevin Porter jr

Completed 2nd year of
    playing Point Guard..................................NBA players peak at age 27

.............|...........................................................................|.........................
    O----------°---(**2nd yr)----------------------------------------------------O

19.2 pts / 5.3 Rebs / 5.7 Ast / 1.4 stl / 78.4% (FT%) / 36.6% (3P%) / 42.9% (CnS 3's)

Often guards SF's which means he can play positions 1 thru 3

Answer: average to slightly
    above avg ----->>>above average/good if allowed to continue towards peak age

maj21 likes this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Kevin Porter jr

Completed 2nd year of
    playing Point Guard..................................NBA players peak at age 27

.............|...........................................................................|.........................
    O---------°---(**age 22)-------------------------------------------O

19.2 pts / 5.3 Rebs / 5.7 Ast / 1.4 stl / 78.4% (FT%) / 36.6% (3P%) / 42.9% (CnS 3's)

Often defends SF's which means he can play positions 1 thru 3

Answer:
    Average to....................................................Above average / good if allowed
    slightly
    above avg ------------------->>>>>>>>> to continue towards peak age

#49 ApacheWarrior, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    maj21 likes this.
  10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

KPJ is a very good player but he is not a point guard and he has a attitude that most discipline coaches will not allow.

Purvis2Short and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Ancient Moabite

KPJ got game, Jesus Shuttle worth 2.0 talent

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is just the kind of fake crap that haters want, how about he has matured and while saddened dedicates himself to getting better this offseason and competing for a starting spot?

DD

maj21 likes this.
  13. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Technically he is an above average player, that is indisputable.
    That being said, he's a very bad PG, he doesn't make his teammates better in any aspect of the game, he's disruptive in the locker room, and he's a very bad influence on a team under construction.
    Luckily the rumor that runs through the halls is that his days as Rocket are numbered...

OremLK, fchowd0311 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I understand it's the Wizards with like a Gleague roster but in terms of what I observed as the main difference between Green and KPJ running point, that aspect is irrelevant.

It's immediately clear to me when Green runs point his primary goal is "how can this possession lead to a bucket regardless of who is directly responsible for said bucket" while with KPJ his mindset is "how can this possession lead to me having an assist or bucket recorded".

Hence why Jalen for example will immediately pass it to Jabari or Sengun if they have a smaller man pinned down. Green is simply thinking "this possession needs a score at the end of it" and it doesn't matter if it's from him recording an assist or a bucket or nothing at all

With KPJ he will only pass out when he is certain the player he's passing it to has a certain easy bucket ahead of him. His goal is to record that assist. With Green he's very willing to initiate a chain of passes like passing to Sengun off a pnr where then Sengun can operate while rolling to the rim and finding the corner 3. Green ain't getting the assist but his initial action eventually led to a bucket. Because again, his goal is to end the possession with a score regardless of who's directly responsible for it.

#54 fchowd0311, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Character is one of the most underrated talents in the NBA.

AroundTheWorld and AlperenSengun like this.
  16. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Maybe Green thinks Sengun is his twin, lol!

AroundTheWorld and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

He would be great as a 6th man on veteran team.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Whenever KPJ takes more than 4-5 dribbles it's most likely a bad play. His reads and decision making are too slow for any above average guards, SG or PG.

If KPJ swears to never play with the ball and only catch and shoot with some drive and kick, he is probably above average.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. Ancient Moabite

Who woulda thunk it, the simple basic power of the ''eye test'', a hockey assist is just as important as a direct dime

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will say this - KPJ is showing he can be a good player, and potentially a really good player (if he plays D). He's improving his efficiency, he is making better decisions, and he is showing more maturity. There's real growth and that's positive.

The big ? with KPJ isn't what he does on the court when the cameras are on. It's what's going on behind the scenes. How much dysfunction does he add to the team?

This team needs to get back to a more professional mentality, and KPJ has been given a leash to do a lot of negative stuff. That can't continue. No one wants a teammate like that. Either he shapes up or you ship him out.