1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I’m just asking. You basically said you didn’t know what you were talking about.

2. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Stroud will be okay if they get him some weapons to throw to.
    Young still produced at a high level on a weaker Alabama side in '22. I think he can be good for us but it would be nice if we can get him some weapons too.

3. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I won't be disappointed in taking Anderson 1-2. I shouldn't be turned off on Bryce now that he is represented by Mugahletta but I am. Don't want to have to play the guaranteed contract game in 5 years.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Now that Bryce has sold out and gone with Mulugheta, are we going for Anthony Richardson now?? You know since Mulugheta is the bad guy according to Clutchfans.

conquistador#11 and noscrusir like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I know how to trade and how to negotiate. I'm not in love with players, so to answer your question, yes and no, depending on if you consider management different than fandom.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I know it's a difficult concept to grasp, but it's OK to say NO to unreasonable requests and demands. And you don't have to compete to become the worst owner by making their mistakes.

8. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

All for Anderson at two.

I wouldn’t trade up to draft any of the other QB’s (Levis, Richardson, etc), and roll for next year if we take Anderson at #2.

raining threes likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Richardson has been the gem in this draft anyway. Get him at #2, Quentin Johnston at #12 and call it a day. There is already improvement on the team made through FA. "Just in" Case Keenum and Mills can man the ship for half a season or more.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

There's an outside possibility that Johnston may be available in the second for us.

I've seen him as WR5 in some mocks, and in Chad Reuter's latest, he's actually mocked to us in the second. He has us getting Bijan at 12, FWIW.

Sooty likes this.
  12. Sooty

That’s more of an Alabama thing vs BY height thing. Mac only had 11 under center.

“Saban recognized that the game was changing, especially at the college level, and to compete for championships, Alabama needed to modernize its offense to light up the scoreboard.

The pro-style roots remain, but Saban’s coordinators began to add elements of the modern spread and air raid systems, with Sarkisian putting the finishing touches on the pro-spread.

Run-pass options (RPOs), vertical passing from spread formations, and practically zero snaps from under center came to fruition when Mac Jones took over as the starting quarterback.

Last season, Jones had the third-highest rate of his passes come off RPO schemes (19%) in the 2021 quarterback class and only attempted 11 passes in his career from under center."

https://www.clnsmedia.com/lazar-adapting-offense-to-fit-mac-jones-wont-be-an-issue-for-patriots/

Rudyc281 and primtim24 like this.
  13. tc0330

tc0330 Member

all valid points

houstonstime likes this.
  14. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I know a lot will get made of this, but it ultimately means nothing. Because even though the "cousins" prefer their QB under center, they also move the pocket a lot, and have the QB throw on the edge to players in space a lot as well. So him not being under center much doesn't scare me. How many under center snaps did Mahomes take in college? Drew Brees?

Obviously there can and will be a transition to being under center vs the gun, but ultimately if a guy is a stud, I wouldn't let snaps here vs there play that big of a role. If anything, this just tells me as a coach, I may need to make sure my guy is in Gun more to feel comfortable.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

The "cousins"?

16. Sooty

primtim24 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Very interesting point. Bryce Young's short height would require us to totally rework the offense to cover up this deficiency. Not being able to go under center really limits the play action game. Caserio is keenly aware of this, I have to imagine. There's simply no reason to step into all of these problems at #2 overall.

zeeshan2 and coachbadlee like this.
  18. Sooty

Facts mate, but obviously you love trying to create a narrative. Proven false once again. Keep this up and you’ll become known as Trader Fraud.

That’s more of an Alabama thing vs BY height thing. Mac only had 11 under center.

“Saban recognized that the game was changing, especially at the college level, and to compete for championships, Alabama needed to modernize its offense to light up the scoreboard.

The pro-style roots remain, but Saban’s coordinators began to add elements of the modern spread and air raid systems, with Sarkisian putting the finishing touches on the pro-spread.

Run-pass options (RPOs), vertical passing from spread formations, and practically zero snaps from under center came to fruition when Mac Jones took over as the starting quarterback.

Last season, Jones had the third-highest rate of his passes come off RPO schemes (19%) in the 2021 quarterback class and only attempted 11 passes in his career from under center."

https://www.clnsmedia.com/lazar-adapting-offense-to-fit-mac-jones-wont-be-an-issue-for-patriots/

Fulgore likes this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

Do we have a "worked" offense?

Just curious, since we have a new OC and a bunch of new players, and likely know/knew we'd draft a QB, and definitely knew which ones would be possibilities.

houstonstime and primtim24 like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://theathletic.com/4387692/2023/04/10/nfl-draft-mock-the-beast-dane-brugler/

#1660 zeeshan2, Apr 10, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2023