1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022-23 MVP race

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by awc713, Sep 24, 2022.

1. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

why do people disregard volume when it comes to scoring efficiency? Do you not understand if you asked jokic to score 9 more points per game his percentages would go down considerably?

Giannis is not a dpoy candidate when hes literally playing next to the guy who is probably going to win the award

Embiid should be mvp and its really nowhere near as controversial as you make it out to be

2. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

I dont see how you can make any case for jokic. Embiid has been the better play and giannis at least has the better record

3. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Giannis is a DPOY candidate because a lot of voters like Zach Lowe and others have mentioned him as such.

Where did I say Embiid winning MVP would be controversial?

What it will likely be is one of the closest races ever.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

9 more points is probably 3 less assists

Rocket River

5. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Thats ridiculous. What case does giannis have for dpoy over brook lopez? Zach lowe for the past 5 years has been as much of an idiot as any other talking head on espn. Im talking about actually deserving the award and not who the media will pick

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Same reasons why I think any player should win any year. Combo of traditional stats, advanced stats and team record. In my opinion this year Jokic has the best combo of the three. But I don’t have any very strong feelings about it. If Embiid or Giannis wins that’s fine by me, totally deserving.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm fine with Embiid winning this year, pure stats-wise Jokic should probably win, but Embiid is also deserving and Jokic hasn't felt dominant enough this season to justify a third straight MVP.

8. i3artow i3aller

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I hope Embiid gets it. He has been amazing the last few years and deserves one. It's basically splitting hairs between him, Giannis and Joker, and they all deserve to have that title in their careers.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Winner gets announced tonight, on the TNT broadcast.

Giannis bounced in the first round. Philly shows it can win important games without Embiid. Meanwhile, Jokic has been the most consistent player of the 3 since the playoffs started. As available as he is, the Nuggets would literally fall apart without him in the lineup.

And as much maligned as his defense (or lackthereof) is, it's not like Booker, KD, CP3 and Ayton are hunting him.

BigShasta likes this.
  11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Out of those 3 Jokic has always been the best playoff player, so the playoff argument was always nonsense. He deserves the MVP this year because he was the best and most valuable regular season player this season. He will get robbed because of.....reasons, but he deserves it.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think the playoff argument is nonsense ....because it's a regular season award.

I think it's crazy to say anybody was "robbed" - all the players are playing at an extremely high level for years, they're all MVP caliber.

It's pretty simple, Embiid was great on offense, and is decent on defense. Jokic is great on offense, in a different way that doesn't rely on brute force of scoring, and average at best on defense, but probably had his worst/lowest effort defensive season in a long time. Likewise down the stretch, Embiid continued to have huge games whereas Jokic mailed it in for portions of the last month or 2.

That's the argument for Embiid, it's a solid argument. You can disagree with it, but it's not at all implausible or a robbery or undeserved.

JumpMan and ElPigto like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I wish awards were given almost immediately after the conclusion of the season. Can't seem to drill this in through most NBA fans. Who gives a **** what happens in the playoffs? Who gives a **** what happened in the previous years playoffs lol?

Rocket River and SamFisher like this.
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya I don’t agree at all. There is no statistical case at all for embiid, he was worse then jokic this season by a fairly decent margin. I don’t care about playoffs or past seasons, only this regular season

15. SamFisher

Really? The NBA scoring leader has no statistical case at all? The NBA player with the second highest PER (all of 0.1 lower than Jokic) has no statistical case at all.

This just shows how overwrought this has all become, you look at 538 raptor (or win shares or VORP or whatever) and decide "THERE'S NO STATISTICAL CASE AT ALL FOR EMBIID" - you are just not doing it right.

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Embiid certainly has a statistical case and I’m all good if he wins (which I suspect he will).
    However, I think Joker contributes more to his team’s success than anyone in the league.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Oh ya, ppg. Good one!

18. SamFisher

it is a good one, that's why "the scoring title" is a thing and scoring records are a thing.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Embiid runaway winner

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

voters got it right this year

Rocket River and OremLK like this.