1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Projected stat lines of our young core players with proper coaching and after getting rid of KPJ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 14, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Would you consider this realistic once they hit their prime?
    • Sengun (20 years old): 22 pts/11 rebs/7 asts/1.5 steals/1.5 blocks, .600 FG/.800 FT
    • Jabari (19 years old): 18 pts/9 rebs/3 threes/1 steal/2 blocks, .450 FG/.850 FT/40 % 3-point
    • Green (21 years old): 26 pts/4 rebs/4 asts, 2.5 threes, .440 FG/.880 FT
    • Tari Eason (21 years old): 13 pts/8 rebs, 2 threes, 2.5 steals, 1.5 blocks per game
    I think that each of them has the potential individually to perform an entire season at that level, eventually.

But could they achieve this all together and at the same time? Or is it a zero-sum game where there wouldn't be enough touches to go around? Who would have to be the odd man out if that were the case?

(Personally, I think their games should be quite complementary - they have very different strengths - Sengun is best close to the basket, Jabari and Tari are focused on defense, Alpi/Jalen more on offense, Jabari and Green are long-range shooters/jump shooters.)

Especially if you were to add someone like Harden or Van Vleet or Myles Turner and Wemby or Scoot Henderson to the mix? Would that take away too many touches from these young kids to achieve their potential?

And if they could achieve this together, where could that take us, once they simultaneously hit their prime?

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Well thought out post. I'd like to see Sengun in a Divac/Webber role.

I'd like to see a bigger version of Joe Dumars out of Jabari.

Tari I want Rodman (keeping in the Pistons theme)

Jalen is the wild card. It will come down to how much work he puts in. I'll settle for Vince Carter

That's a good young core

cmoak1982 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. maj21

maj21 Member

Some other fan base is gonna be happy with those kind of numbers from Sengun!

gfab-babyboi, OremLK and King1 like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Maybe. So do you think these kinds of numbers (either together or on different teams) are realistic for each of these players, in their prime?

King1 likes this.
  5. maj21

maj21 Member

I think you’re pretty spot on with that. Jabari could score more than that. I know Sengun can put up numbers, but we’re never gonna win with him

King1 likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not even if Wemby/Jabari were to cover up for him on defense?

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is too much time between now and what will be.

We assume they stay together in the next 5 years.

Tari can do alot more than 13 ppg but he is probably stuck here with players playing more than him.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

When u hate a player, they will always say something brand dead like we can never win a ring with that player.

We have yet to win a ring since 1995, come up with a better excuse of why u don't like a player.

@AroundTheWorld
    I don't see sengun scoring that much or having that high of an assist if we have an actual playmaker.

I'm just using the harden hypothetical.
    If we bring back Harden, sengun for sure won't hit those number unless he develops range. Dwight and capela never hit over 20 ppgs per game playing along side harden.

That's the only thing I'm quite sure about.

Green's and smith numbers will improve for sure Playing alongside an actual pg.

#9 DatRocketFan, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

His hate for Sengun is really weird/irrational.

King1 and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Neither Dwight nor Capela ever had the offensive skills Sengun has. You may well be right, but perhaps now that Harden has learned to pass it to Embiid, he might do the same thing with Sengun. (I agree that Sengun should develop range - mainly, he just needs to stop hesitating, and just let it fly!)

King1 likes this.
  12. maj21

maj21 Member

They would definitely help him, but I still think it’s too much to overcome. He also needs the ball on offense and you gotta build around him. If we get Wemby, are we really gonna prioritize Sengun over him? I think he’s best putting up good numbers on a bad team

13. maj21

maj21 Member

If you’re talking about me, it’s not about hate. I don’t believe in him as a player and want him gone. I would love for him to prove me wrong, but he won’t unfortunately

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

SOFs trying to throw shade with fixed mindsets:

maj21 and topfive like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Wemby isn't a playmaker on offense. I think he is more like a taller Durant/Jabari.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There's no way we could get those defensive stats. Brooklyn is #1 in the NBA at 6.3 bpg, but just the 3 players you have in this post with blocks total 5 bpg on their own. Also, Tari getting 2.5 spg with 1.5 bpg would probably put him in the all-time defensive player discussions. That hasn't been done since (probably) Kirilenko in 2005-2006. Pretty sure SGA is the only player even getting 1 bpg and 1 spg per game this year.

So even ignoring the offensive numbers, I'll say there's 0% chance these guys achieve these bpg/spg numbers... unless they start playing in China.

maj21, Verbal Christ and topfive like this.
  17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

While true, unless Sengun is the focal point of an offense that won’t matter. For example, if Harden signs with us then I would actually prefer players with Dwight or Capela’s skill set over Sengun. Not only are they lob threats, they can also help anchor the interior D. Sengun will never be that type of player.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

So much nonsense. Sengun does not need the ball on offense, nor does he need to build the offense around him like the sengunatics desire. A big reason why folks pushed for a sengun offense is bc somehow it was actually better than the kpj offense and that sengun is a better passer/play maker than kpj.

If u have James mother fking Harden controlling the offense , sengun would b fine coexisting as the secondary play maker/post game scorer. Sengun is a team player he doesn't ball hog or needs to do it. A high bbiq player will adapt to what the team needs.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

That’s true.. he’ll draw a lot of double teams and should develop making the right reads. As for as playmaking, that’s what a point guard is for. It’s just not gonna work with Sengun imo. I even doubt that jokic will ever win it all for the same reasons! I saw a stat last week that the spurs scored like almost 40 points when attacking him

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  20. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

Really well-thought-out question. The thing that makes this question really difficult is that we've only seen our players streaky, but never consistent.

I can't liken this to a recent team, but I would love to see a squad that yields to whoever has the hot hand/weakest matchup that night. If Bari catches fire against a poor perimeter defense team, let him go for thirty. If it's Sengun's night against a team with poor interior presence, let the offense run through him. Same with Jalen, Tari, and whoever else.

I think each of our players has unique skills and a good coach will look at match-ups. More than likely, due to pure athleticism and unique height/length, that'll be Jalen and Jabari on most nights.

AroundTheWorld likes this.