1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

7 Good Things Happening

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not one single mention of Josh Christopher.

[​IMG]

2. 34to11

34to11 Member

Not everyone, although the myopia is pervasive.

3. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

So you're suggesting it's short-sighted to want Silas gone? Are you saying give him more time? That we haven't been patient enough?

don grahamleone and daywalker02 like this.
  4. 34to11

34to11 Member

Precisely.

burlesk likes this.
  5. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

OK! Don't hear that much, lol. What have you seen from him that suggests to you he just needs more time? -- if I may ask.

I suppose if one attributes his coaching struggles, so far, completely to Stone and the Fertittas? Is that part of it?

NM, @34to11, i see you've laid out your arguments elsewhere, I'll go read those.

#25 burlesk, Mar 12, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    don grahamleone likes this.
  6. 34to11

34to11 Member

"Coaching struggles" isn't a phrase I would really use and the only fault I would lay squarely at Stone's feet is the KPJ @ PG experiment.
    This isn't the team Silas signed on for but given this was his long await opportunity he agreed to stay on. There have been a few missteps during this process but little of this is by happenstance.

1) Stone laid out the plan following the Harden trade to completely tear down and rebuild from the ground up. This is why virtually every trade since has been built around draft capital.

2) The Rockets were a completely rebuilding team with virtually no cap space, few trade assets, and only a 3 year window where they had full control of their draft. What would be the best way to maximize that window?

3) If you give a chef, any chef, seeds instead of fruits and vegetables how good of meal would you expect them to prepare?
    That is to say the Rockets are fielding a team where virtually their entire rotation is comprised of rookies and sophomores. All being led by a makeshift point guard. How often do you see that in the NBA?
    Again, not by happenstance.

The summer of '23 was always the target. This is where the books would be clear of burdensome contracts and the team has a plethora of young talent and trove of draft capital to deal and/or develop.
    I'd be hard pressed to believe that the plan came to fruition exactly as expected by chance.

Now Silas may well be dismissed. The coach is usually the first sacrifice/scapegoat to placate an angsty fan base. But fairness would be that he at least be given a chance to show his potential with a legitimate NBA roster and an unmitigated focus on winning.

7. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

OK, fair points all. I've thought I was pretty patient with him -- i have just felt like there was almost NOTHING he could point to as a positive result, even knowing management's plans and timeline. Maybe I'm just being overly angsty though, lol... I'm prepared to shift my frustration and angst to management if the plan was "make sure to neglect player development, lest we accidentally win some games"... Idk...

Then again, they've been playing better lately...

Trying to "think like a mountain" over here, but I can only manage a dirt clod...

#27 burlesk, Mar 12, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    don grahamleone, JRG and 34to11 like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Come on guys, there are so many threads out there to complain about things. Want to hear about silver linings.

Jabari is the big story right now. Hoping he mostly keeps it up for the rest of the season. What a weapon he would be next to Sengun and Jalen.

don grahamleone, Rashmon and burlesk like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A silver lining was your OP. I enjoyed reading it and found myself nodding my head often. Nice change.

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Thanks! It gets intense on the BBS and sometimes I just need to step back and see what's going well to put the obstacles in perspective. I feel like we lose that here sometimes.

burlesk, quikkag and Deckard like this.
  11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Y'all have been down all season but I think we're going to see as many flashes of great play in this final stretch of games as we did the entire season. Expecting Green, Jabari and Sengun to continue to have breakout games and jaw-dropping plays against some opponents.

12. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Insert EG "there is no improvement" interview

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Jabari Smith has not been good on defense.
    He barely rates better than Sengun who people want to crucify for his defense.

None of the rockets have been good on defense.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Jabari Smith has not been good on defense.
    He barely rates better than Sengun who people want to crucify for his defense.

None of the rockets have been good on defense.

15. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

Too few are able to see the big picture, unfortunately.

Mathloom and 34to11 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Jabari looked good on defense against Giannis Antedontknowhowtospellit. That’s enough for me to know what he will be. Consistency is his next step.

9. KJ Martin adding to what @WestendMassive said: KJ has figured out how to cut from angles and finish even though the lane looks clogged. His teammates are looking for it. It’s not some dunker spot unguarded rim dunking, he’s finishing in traffic. Same thing on break aways. He’s also playing the passing lanes 10 times better than before. Where he was three years ago to now has been quite the progression. He’s a player you can count on contributing to wins if he wants to stay in Houston. I wouldn’t trade him for anything outside of a top 10 pick or some legitimate star player you can’t say no to.

quikkag, burlesk and Williamson like this.