1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ATT Sportsnet channel (Astros)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by the shark, May 24, 2021.

1. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I've had mlb.tv for years, as I have a cabin outside Texas, and they have commercials, at least as of last year. Sadly, they play the same two or three commercials. Over and over and over. It's terrible.

2. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Yep. Not sure if it was last year or the one before, but they constantly ran a Serena Williams commercial over...and over....and over....and over....

Sometimes they would have little clips of top plays (not sure if it was for the week or month). I loved when they would show those clips.

3. Buck Turgidson

Mine just has the mlb blue logo screen

Huh

4. Buck Turgidson

He's adjusting for inflation, from 1920

cmlmel77 and Major like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Back in 1920 the only blackouts were if you strayed too far from a transistor radio, or the town crier

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Transistors? In 1920 they still used those newfangled tubes and those were only in rare large markets. Most of the country still did not have radio. Just before the war broke out, there were new stations popping up around the country and those wealthier citizens could afford the luxury of a tube radio to listen to these new stations.

Transistors became popular in the 60s. Just ask you grandparents. And yes, I distinctly remember when there were tube testers for repairing radio and tv sets when the tubes burned out like light bulbs. The picture tube was the last tube eliminated and that was decades later.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm including costs for internet access and MLB or expensive cable packages required to get the RSN.

8. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

9. Buck Turgidson

Your $1 beer now costs $7.

Haven't priced hotdogs and pretzels yet.

I do hope you enjoy wearing a wool suit and fedora to every outdoor day game in July.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I've never bought a $7 beer. Nor will I.

11. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually remember there were stores that had those tube testers in them.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I wish !! That was the style!!

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  13. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

24 oz beers were $16 this past weekend at Minute Maid (there was a college baseball tournament there). While you can get deals at some places, a 12 oz beer at most local pubs is $5 now, so the ballpark prices don't seem out of line to me. Inflation. Good news is that it's just transitory.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If you remember Pistol Pete Marovich, you're the right age.

Pistol Pete likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Well I haven't had a beer in 25 years and frankly haven't missed them. So anything more than $2 seems high to me. But at least it's not $7 coffee.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I get the same thing on Tubi. I'll change my VPN location just to get a new set of commercials.

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

As you can see from many of mt posts, I am a self identified cheapskate and Jack Benny was my hero. But I finally decided it was worth supporting Clutchfans, even if I drive many on here to distraction. So now I'm a monthly Gold supporter.

Come on MLB/Astros. Let me have what I want and I'll find a way to support you too.

marks0223 and cmlmel77 like this.
  18. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

While my opinion does not matter and I disagree with many of your perspectives (though not all … for example having a lefty lead off is a good idea), I respect your decision to contribute. Cheers.

ETA: I have contributed but my tag doesn’t show up. This was a good reminder for me to go double check and ensure Dave gets his due!

ETA 2: Apparently Hong Kong doesn’t allow PayPal. Dave, add a credit card option! Otherwise, I guess I wait until back in Europe.

#158 cmlmel77, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I honestly believe that blackouts of MLB and local telecasts of network games will not significantly affect their value to the networks. Yet is is the reasoning behind failing to serve the market.

The failure of RSNs unfortunately does not end with a simple agreement between the RSN and teams. It also involves any creditors who have invested in a RSN seeking bankruptcy protection. And it takes time to distribute the assets and liabilities without consensus of the creditors.

But, while no fan of Manfred in general, the idea of looking to the future, rather than the past while planning the financial side of baseball is good.

I have a dream. That one day I can simply click on the MLB website, and order a live stream of any team or package of teams I choose without exclusion or blackouts from anywhere in the world. Options for free, limited or no advertising depending on your budget available; none of which distracts from play of the game itself.

I might not get there with you since it will take a while, even if that's the direction finally chosen.

20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Man, I've been calling for this for years. Ever since the Rockets/Astros tried to run their own network. If it happens, I'll be the first person to sign up since I have YoutubeTV.