1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. raining threes

I think Stroud will be a top 10-15 QB. He's not worth having to deal with. I mean the guys he looks up to are Vick/Watson, what's the chance of this going very badly after he gets paid? Plus you have to deal with his agent who doesn't give 2 sh!ts about his clients winning championships, he only cares about getting his clients paid. If this was a generational guy we are talking about then I would bite the bullet and pick Stroud. He's not that guy, so he's not worth the trouble.

If I had to pick a QB in this draft, which I wouldn't unless forced to pick one, Levis or Richardson would be my pick at 1-2. I think you can win a championship using either of these guys in different ways. Can you teach Levis to throw more accurately to his left? Can you teach Richardson to read defenses and clean up his accuracy issues? If you cant then you can use him like LJ/Cam were used.

#1121 raining threes, Mar 5, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Can you teach them how to play quarterback? Let's not pretend like its one part of quarterbacking that they are deficient in either. Levis has issues with pocket presence, and some accuracy. Richardson has major accuracy, footwork, pocket presence, decision making, and other issues. They are both serious gambles. Those gambles are just as much if not more of a gamble than a black qb looking up to other successful black nfl qbs. I personally prefer Bryce Young because he doesn't have that baggage, but if I'm gambling, accuracy is the last thing I'd gamble on. Half the reason Davis Mills was so bad last year is because he couldn't throw accurately to either sideline.

cmoak1982, ROXRAN and houstonstime like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

What is this, ****ing Tron?

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yep! That works, he’s closer to being under 5’10” than being 5’11”. That is a totally accurate statement.

and yes, I am a Bryce only fan. But I don’t want him to be bigger. I actually wished he was 199 lbs.. I want everyone else too scared to jump up and take him at 1. Let him fall to us at 2.

cmoak1982 and ROXRAN like this.
  6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Literally the only thing Young has in common with Murray is size.. he is slower than Murray, but better in every single other category. Horrible comparison. But hey they are the same height so I guess let’s just do that for everyone. We already think Levis is Josh Allen for the same reason.

Sooty likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

I don’t endorse any of these websites (or comparisons)

NFL.com/Lance Zierlein:

Bryce Young: No comparison listed
    CJ Stroud: Jared Goff
    Will Levis: Jay Cutler
    Anthony RIchardson: Cam Newton

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/list...oung-cj-stroud-will-levis-anthony-richardson/

Young: Drew Brees
    Stroud: Matt Ryan
    Richardson: Cam Newton
    Levis: Jameis Winston

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/QB/1/2023

Young: Russell Wilson
    Stroud: Justin Herbert
    Levis: Josh Allen
    Richardson: Cam Newton
    Tune: Brock Purdy
    Duggan: Gardner Minshew

Former Vikings GM Rick Spielman:

Alabama's Bryce Young is considered by many to be the top quarterback in this 2023 class, and former Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman compared him to the Super Bowl LVII MVP earlier this week on CBS Sports' new "With the First Pick" podcast.

"I think he has a lot of Patrick Mahomes style to him, and by that I mean he is one of the best off-schedule throwers that I've seen coming out of the collegiate game," Spielman said. "He does a great job for a small quarterback with his vision down the field. His anticipation and the way he throws the ball and he throws receivers open."

"Now, if this guy was 6-1, 210 pounds, he's a generational type quarterback, in my opinion," Spielman said. "But since he's so small, everybody's going to be nervous as heck to take him, because one, is he going to be durable enough to go through a preseason, go through 17 games, go through -- if they get all the way to the Super Bowl -- that many games and stay healthy? So that's a big concern I think with a lot of teams."

Spielman and host Ryan Wilson also handed out their comparisons for the other top quarterbacks in the class. Here's who Spielman had:

C.J. Stroud, Ohio State = Jared Goff: Both prospects were accurate, and possess the necessary arm talent to make all of the throws.

Anthony Richardson, Florida = Cam Newton: Both possess rare size and athleticism. Have great running ability as well. However, Newton won a lot more games in college, and was much more consistent.

Will Levis, Kentucky = Josh Allen: Big, strong-armed kids with athletic ability, but have questionable touch and accuracy. Spielman noted that he's comparing Levis to Allen coming out, not the superstar Allen has developed into.

Matt Miller, ESPN:
    Bryce: Tua
    Stroud: Dak Prescott
    Levis: Matthew Stafford

Rudyc281, whag00 and Omihall23 like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://clutchpoints.com/nfl-draft-...on-mashup-cam-newton-josh-allen-justin-fields

“One NFL scout I spoke to said his team was internally debating whether Richardson would go in the top 12, and most agreed that he would… One league exec called Anthony Richardson a blend of Cam Newton, Josh Allen and Justin Fields. And multiple teams I spoke to this week said his interviews were impressive, too, and that the QB was comfortable in those settings.”

https://theathletic.com/4254238/2023/02/28/colts-will-levis-nfl-draft/

Besides Allen, which current NFL quarterback would you compare Levis to?

Jeremiah’s NFL QB comparison: “As an athlete, I think there’s some comparison to Ryan Tannehill when he was coming out. I think you look at his frame, Dak Prescott is one. I think that’s a fair comp for him. Same conference, same build, same toughness. The stuff on Dak, when you talk to the coaches there — worker, intelligent, tough, winner. You’ll hear all those exact same things said about Levis. They rave about him. As I think about it, that might end up being the best comparison.”

Baumgardner’s NFL’s QB comparison: “Athletically, I think he’ll wind up testing somewhere close to what Geno Smith registered when he came out about 10 years ago. Levis is in the 6-foot-2/6-foot-3 range, 220-230 pounds. He has good speed and foot quickness at his size and is a capable runner, though he needs to remember he’s better from a pocket. “Smith is probably faster in the 40, but Levis is probably bigger and won’t have many athletic holes to his game (be it agility or explosion). He needs to be more disciplined with his feet, though. In and out of the pocket.”

Emerson’s NFL QB comparison: “Mitch Trubisky is the one that jumps to mind, not even so much in measurables, but the situation. Trubisky was the No. 2 pick the year after he played Georgia, and I also found that confounding. I get that this isn’t a science, that evaluating and projecting quarterbacks is hard, especially guys like Levis who haven’t had a lot of talent around them and have played in several different systems. But as a jaded college football writer, I look at a lot of these prospects and say: ‘Wait, shouldn’t how they perform in college mean something, especially when it’s at the highest level of college?'”

Vannini’s NFL QB comparison (unsure but not Allen): “It’s easy to see the comparisons to Allen, who only once threw for 300 yards against an FBS team. But Allen was a far less accurate quarterback in college than Levis was (56.2 percent versus 64.9 percent), and Allen had horrible performances against the few Power 5 teams he faced. Levis, while lacking standout performances, had plenty of solid-to-good performances on teams typically much less talented than the opponent. But the thing to remember about Allen is that he truly was a unicorn. College quarterbacks never get more accurate when they get into the NFL. Allen’s improvement in the NFL was basically unprecedented, and I wouldn’t make a top-10 draft pick thinking you can find that same kind of luck.”

B/R Scouting Department

Young: Downscaled Tony Romo
    Stroud: Athletic Jared Goff
    Levis: Ryan Tannehill
    Richardson: Colin Kaepernick

[Charles Robinson/Yahoo Sports] Despite similar statures, comparing Bryce Young to Kyler Murray is lazy, say NFL Draft evaluators

Standing 5-feet-10 and 1/8th of an inch tall. Weighing in at 204 pounds. Cue the social media jukebox and set it for replay ...

Just like Kyler Murray, who registered the exact same height at the NFL combine in 2019 and came in only three pounds heavier.

A lazy comparison?

“Absolutely,” an NFC West talent evaluator told Yahoo Sports.

“That was what we expected,” chimed in another evaluator, who spent significant time canvassing both Young and Murray. “We knew [the similarities] even if fans didn’t.”

[…]

But as was the case comparing Murray against Brees and Wilson in 2019, evaluators are rolling their eyes at those who are drawing a direct line between Young and Murray.

“Size is the only thing they have in common,” the NFC West evaluator said.

That opinion wasn’t an anomaly, either. Seven evaluators from different teams all expressed some version of the same conclusion: Other than height and weight, Murray and Young have dramatic differences in their game and skill level, including some that favor Murray and others that favor Young. And even when it comes to that size comparison, predicting a similar injury path is tricky at best because teams don’t view them as being built to handle some of the same rigors, either.

“Height and weight isn’t even an accurate [predictor] if you’re debating how you feel about the potential for an injury,” an NFC general manager said. “Drew [Brees] and Russell [Wilson] next to each other — not to knock Drew, but Russell looks like he can take some hits. Drew looks like he’s in competitive cycling. Now put those two next to Cam Newton in a draft. S***, Cam looked like he could have been a defensive end. And everyone would have been wrong about who was going to be durable between those three. Partly because of how each guy played the position. We can’t ignore that. But that’s going to be a similar thing with Bryce Young and Kyler Murray, too.”

Asked to parse out the differences between Young and Murray if they really aren’t similar players beyond their size, there was a consensus on almost every point. Murray was evaluated as a more elite athlete — with a better arm, better athleticism and a more evasive running style. He also is a player who teams believe represented an accurate weight when he came in at 207 pounds in 2019.

“Kyler is more physically gifted across the board,” one AFC general manager said. “Bryce is the more skilled passer and mature person and professional. I think Bryce will be better when he is in the field but I question whether he will hold up from a durability standpoint without elite physical traits to escape. I would bet he didn’t play [at Alabama] at 204. I think he’ll fill in as he gets older later in his career.”

While Murray was seen as the more elite athlete in the evaluations, Young’s leadership appears to be part of the assessment that draws raves that Murray didn’t.

“He’s got leadership skills and character without drama,” one evaluator said. “[Bryce] is also more like Drew Brees in that he plays bigger than his size from the pocket. Watch Bryce’s throwing motion and tell me it doesn’t look more like Drew Brees.”

In that vein, all the evaluators seemed to agree: If Young is going to be realistically compared to anyone, Murray is just noise in the system created by the similarities in weight and height. The better comparison might be removing the two from each other completely.

This story, it seems, is about seeing where Young stacks up against Wilson and Brees, rather than how he fits alongside Murray or any of the quarterbacks in the class of 2023.

As one evaluator put it, “four years from now we might be looking at [Young] like he wasn’t a great comp for anyone before him. He’s probably a little different than all of them.”

9. raining threes

I think Levis accuracy issues last year had a lot to do with his turf toe/shoulder injuries. Both of those injuries hurt accuracy. He was much more accurate in 2021.

It's not about black QB's looking up to other black QB's. It's about the people they're looking up to regardless of their race. These people aren't good people and for him to look up to them is a big no for me. Put this together with having the agent he's got and that tells me a lot about the guy. Hard pass on Stroud.

cmoak1982 and whag00 like this.
  10. RocketsDraftTV

stroud as dak prescott lol

dak prescott was running people over linebackers at miss state and was a tough tebow like runner. The one knock that i have seen on stroud is that he doesnt use his legs enough.

11. RocketsDraftTV

matt miller is a joke if bryce young is compared to tua then no way he should be the number 1 pick. and then he doubles down to compare stroud to prescott lol , no suprise espn hired him as they generally have the worst mocks year after year

Omihall23 and Fulgore like this.
  12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure why you responded. That post wasn’t about you.

This won’t be a post most like but regardless if the public likes Vick/Watson, the players don’t see it the same way. These guys are still friends. Vick actually has become a mentor to a lot of the younger guys. That doesn’t mean he’s going to go out and do something crazy.

Regardless if fans don’t like his comments, it’s not going to hurt his draft stock.

13. raining threes

Birds of a feather

red5rocket likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I like Bryce. He is the best QB in this draft. But he has some huge risks associated with him.

15. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

I guess everyone missed the part of the same dialogue where he mentioned Burrow as well.

"One of the reasons I wore No. 7 was because of Michael Vick," Stroud said. "He inspired me not only just to be athletic and use my athleticism but as a black quarterback to stay in the pocket and throw. That's something he was very underrated in. I looked up to Deshaun Watson a lot. That's somebody I have a similar playing style to.

"And then Joe Burrow, being able to create. Not being the fastest guy, but being a guy who can extend plays and throw guys off view and just be tough, and that's something that I feel like I do in this game."

If he looked up to them based on their off-field antics then yep but it’s a long straw.

red5rocket and Fulgore like this.
  16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Agreed. And I know this opinion differs from poster to poster. But IMHO, the risk of Bryce getting hurt, is one I would rather take than any of the other guys “living up to their prototypical athletic potential”

17. showa13

showa13 Member

Stroud has surrounded himself with the majority of freakman’s inner circle, the same inner circle that has caused issues with other situations(Jalen Ramsey, jags, brinks truck) and Mulugheta’s clients have a knack for ugly divorces from the teams that draft them.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Oh I would certainly raise a flag, for sure. But outright right him off when there hasn’t been any semblance of the sort off the field, nor his work ethic.

19. vonbock

vonbock Member

We have to draft Young. Look at what happened when we did not draft a Young for qb position.
    Vince Young took the titans to the playoffs and became a member of the dream team.

Now is our chance to draft a Young.

Commodore likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

VY was not good

Sooty, raining threes and red5rocket like this.