1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

If you actually listen to the interview, McShay was actually really in favor of drafting Bryce Young. Media just likes to take small snippets, out of context, to create headlines.

Sooty and J.R. like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

No ****.

It isn't likes these teams haven't stood next to him and knew his size.

This is such a joke, if he measured one inch shorter the media would be banishing him to the XFL and if he were 1 inch taller we would be hearing he is the second coming of Joe Montana.

Maybe Young can make everyone happy by wearing lifts in his cleats, then he can be 6'0" and magically become durable and a Hall of Famer.

All of this is such BS.

He is a slight dude, end of story. Maybe he gets hurt - maybe he doesn't, but putting weight on a guy like that isn't smart and isn't going to change who and what he is.

Doug Flutie was 5'10" and like 180 lbs and I don't remember him getting hurt a lot and that was back when pass rushers could actually take down QB's.

ROXRAN, Red.Glare, Sooty and 4 others like this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If the Texans think Bryce Young is that guy you do whatever you have to.

There's nothing more Texans than effectively giving away a good 3rd round pick worth of value in that last game, but it's done. You can't make choices based on that just because you don't want to highlight how stupid it was.

Hey Now!, Fulgore and oelman44 like this.
  4. oelman44

oelman44 Member

It would burn for sure but losing week 18 is a sunk cost. If Demeco/etc think best path forward for the Texans is to depart with some capital to lock in who they think has the best chance of being a generational franchise QB, I think they should do it. Just worry about building the team in the best way possible - don't worry about how it will look embarrassing from the outside looking in. No need to handicap Demeco because of the sins of Lovie/Cal. Price probably just got a lot more palatable with the Jalen Carter news.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Qan

Qan Member

Looks like Young is 5'9"

7. Dredd

Dredd Member

That's exactly what he is. When do they officially measure him?

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Future of the franchise has arrived. Let’s go!!

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't disagree completely with your post - but Doug Flutie isn't a very good comp at all, IMO, for several reasons: he was an 11th round pick - not the first or second overall pick - who started 2 games his first two years, and just 14 in four seasons before being kicked to Canada. And after the CFL... he was a mostly mediocre QB. ~81 QB rating his final 8 seasons of sporadic starts.

Seth Payne said the last QB taken in round 1 that weighed less than 200 pounds was Jim McMahon - and Jim McMahon was hurt all the time. To your point: the league was totally different then (more violent, less protective of QBs) - but, still..

That's why his size is so polarizing: there's no precedent for a QB drafted this highly with his height and weight in the NFL. I tend to lean toward wanting another team to take the leap instead. But I don't want that team to be the Colts, in case Young defies any and all expectations of a what an NFL QB should look like ............

10. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed, and to be clear he may well get hurt. I mostly am pointing out how silly it is that some think 1-2 inches or 10 pounds is the difference between an injury riddled career and the HOF.

itzIce, Sooty, Rudyc281 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He looks too fat.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Hey Now!

He's reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly little, though.

I keep trying to figure out if Tyreek Hill is meaningful here? He's 5'10", 190. In a way, he's more vulnerable - as a WR - than a QB would be. How has he avoided being physically mauled?

Shark44 likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Less opportunities for hits as he doesn’t have the ball every snap, and he is an elite athlete among NFL players.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

QBs and WRs aren’t built the same. They’re not meant to take the same contact. Look at Tom Brady and Calvin Johnson height and weight.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You still thinking Bryce will come in at 5’9” 185?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Because he's built like a brick house and he gets down or out-of-bounds before taking big hits...
    [​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s put on weight, so he’ll be heavier. Will be interesting to see how it affects his mobility. I don’t think he is 5’10. He might come in right at it

19. Hey Now!

Why can't Bryce Young get down or out-of-bounds before taking big hits? I mean, I understand it's not 1:1, etc. I fundamentally understand the difference. But all the planning in the world to avoid big hits.... doesn't mean you're going to universally avoid big hits. Football is as unpredictable as it is violent.

I just think it's interesting that small guys *can* thrive in the NFL. How? Why? If I'm the Texans, I'm exploring that train of thought at least a little bit to see if there's any crossover.

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think it's an interesting line to consider. Predicting durability can look at past injuries, but as you said it's a violent sport and BY's medical eval on his shoulder will be an important piece, maybe more so than his build. He's uber talented and sometimes evaluators may bet that his talent will overcome his physical limitations. That's why they get paid the big bucks or get fired for missing.

Hey Now! likes this.