1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC] Artists That You Wish Would Put Out Another Album Like Yesterday

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Radiohead has had an interesting career in my opinion:

Pablo Honey - atypical debut that really doesn't fit in with anything else in their catalog
    The Bends - quantum leap from their debut and a Brit Pop classic
    OK Computer - their unquestioned masterpiece and a more experimental album (they sorta left Brit Pop behind)
    Kid A - yet another detour but a brilliant one and almost as great of an album as OK Computer
    Amnesiac - similar to Kid A but the songs weren't quite as good but a grower of an album
    Hail to the Thief - a messy album that somewhat panders to the part of their fanbase that wants more "guitars" - has some brilliant moments but their weakest album since their debut
    In Rainbows - a stunning return to form - this is the type of album that I wish they would always put out
    The King of Limbs - short album that really wasn't groundbreaking and although I liked it, I can see why many people consider it a "slight" album
    A Moon Shaped Pool - better album than TKOL but not as good as In Rainbows but still a worthy addition to their discography

So if the next Radiohead album is like In Rainbows or even A Moon Shaped Pool, I will be ecstatic. But if it is like The King of Limbs or Hail to the Thief, I will be disappointed but will be glad, nonetheless, for a new album of music by them.

jo mama and dobro1229 like this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Rage Against the Machine

K mf G and DCkid like this.
  3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

careful what you wish for. mars volta just put out a new album after a decade or so and its a major departure from their previous stuff...like they were going for a modern radio hit or something...almost seems like they are f***ing with their fans.

one of the best live bands ive ever seen, but the album is not up to the standards of their previous work.

agree...he wrote a lot of their early stuff. the bassline is the foundation of many of their best songs.

he is actually back in janes and touring with them, but navarro claims he has long covid and isnt. i think there might still be some bad blood there which is keeping navarro out. eric avery talked a bunch of s*** about janes over the years so its surprising to see him back in the fold.

Manny Ramirez and mikol13 like this.
  4. jo mama

i posted yesterday about how cool it would be to see paul and ringo put together a supergroup and then i saw this article!

https://variety.com/2023/music/news...rtney-recording-music-ringo-starr-1235529654/

Rolling Stones Recording With Paul McCartney — and Ringo?

Almost 60 years since first meeting, it looks like the Rolling Stones and the two surviving Beatles may come together on a new Stones album. Variety hears from multiple sources that Paul McCartney has recorded bass parts for a forthcoming Rolling Stones project being helmed by 2021 Grammy producer of the year Andrew Watt. Ringo Starr is also slated to play on the yet-to-be-announced album.

Recording sessions took place in Los Angeles in recent weeks and, while it’s unclear which tracks will make the final cut — or whether McCartney and Starr would end up on the same song — the album’s production is nearing the mixing phase. Frontman Mick Jagger said in 2021 that the group has “a lot of tracks done,” and guitarist Keith Richards said in a New Year’s Instagram post last month that “There’s some new music on its way.”

Rashmon likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That’s pretty much in line with my thoughts on each as well.

I like that Thom especially and other members like Ed, Phil, and Johnny have done a good amount of side projects that certainly have a lot to like if you’re a Radiohead fan and that keeps the core discography clean of projects that water down the legacy. Thinking of that weird album that Rogers did by himself under the Pink Floyd name when they were breaking up, etc.

I think leaving at the top of your game matters and only coming back when you have something unique to offer is the ultimate show of confidence and pride.

When this question was posed im more interested in hearing some of the artists that have something special I see but they haven’t quite gone there yet.

The most painful thing I can think of as a fan is when I hear a new album from a band like The Cure’s last two albums and it’s painful that they didn’t end it after Bloodflowers.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  6. Manny Ramirez

I hear ya man. Yes, I wished Bob Smith had hung things up after Bloodflowers (I hate to admit that I actually liked some of "The Cure" album but yes it was uneven and we won't even discuss the last album!). That is why I love Yo La Tengo so much - they are so consistent. Their new stuff may not be groundbreaking but it is still pretty damn good (and about 98% better than anything else out there). But you have artists like Wilco or Primal Scream - they release brilliant albums like "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" and "Screamadelica" only to also have clunkers in their catalog like "Sky Blue Sky" and "Riot City Blues." Animal Collective is like Radiohead in which the individual members have their own solo projects and yet their individual stuff is different than what they do as AnCo. They have been pretty consistent for the most part (I never could get into "Painting With" but was so happy with "Time Skiffs"). You get spoiled and you expect great albums all the time when one of your favorite artists release something, but I agree that if they can't keep churning out quality stuff, then move on and ride off into the sunset. Don't be like The Cure and not know when to call it quits.

dobro1229 likes this.
  7. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Came here to say Outkast, I also agree with Fugees and Rage Against the Machine.

8. dobro1229

Damn Fugees is a great pick.

K mf G likes this.
  9. dobro1229

An obvious pick is certainly Nirvana or Kurt Cobain in general who really hinted hard that he wanted to shift away from the whole "grunge" thing, and was more interested in artists like Bowie, etc. that reinvented their sound, and persona.

I think had Kurt survived his addiction, and depression you'd see him putting out music that was more like Radiohead than Foo Fighters. No disrespect to Grohl, and FF, but I don't think Kurt wanted anything to do with that moving forward.

jo mama and Manny Ramirez like this.
  10. Manny Ramirez

The Fugees might do another album eventually but it would have to be without Lauryn Hill. And then you can make the argument that it really isn't a Fugees album. We should probably have another thread on bands that were able to withstand the loss of a key member and continue to be just as good and in some cases even greater than before. AC/DC is the obvious case as is Pink Floyd (David Gilmour replacing Syd Barrett) but there are too many examples of bands that tried this and it didn't work out - see Styx, Judas Priest, Journey, Queen, etc.

11. jo mama

i think he would have scaled it down to something more acoustic. he was into alot of that k records stuff, rem, vasalines, beat happening ect. its also possible he would have quit music altogether and just painted. obviously he was pretty unhappy with the way everything had happened. i could have seen him going j.d. salinger and disappearing from the public eye.

i remember michael stipe talking about how he tried to get cobain to make an album with him.

https://www.grunge.com/320230/the-truth-about-kurt-cobain-and-michael-stipes-relationship/

Of course, many people who worked with and had relationships with Cobain have opened up and shared their thoughts and experiences with the world, including R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe. Stipe was not only friends with Cobain and his wife, Hole's Courtney Love, he was a mentor, inspiration, and very nearly collaborator. In an early 1994 interview with Rolling Stone, Cobain discussed his intention to put out a Nirvana album that would be "pretty ethereal, acoustic, like Automatic for the People," R.E.M.'s 1992 album. He went on to gush, "If I could write just a couple of songs as good as what they've written ... I don't know how that band does what they do." The inspiration went both ways. Per Rolling Stone, Stipe once told MTV News that the "yeah yeah yeah yeah" refrain in one of Automatic's singles, "Man On the Moon," was a tribute to Cobain, noting, "I told Kurt [Cobain] that I was going to write a song that had more 'yeahs' in it than anything he'd written."

When Dazed relayed Cobain's plans to make an album similar to Automatic For The People, Stipe replied, "I had forgotten that he'd said that. I really wished that he had lived. Kurt was a great songwriter and he was also in a steady transition." In fact, in a 2011 interview with Interview magazine, Stipe was asked about the rumored collaboration between him and Cobain that never came to be. Stipe explained that he had suggested the project as an attempt to connect with the troubled Cobain: "I was doing that to try to save his life. The collaboration was me calling up as an excuse to reach out to this guy. He was in a really bad place." He recalled that he had come to know Cobain well because during R.E.M.'s work on two albums in Seattle, Washington, his bandmate Peter Buck had lived next door to Cobain, Courtney Love, and their daughter, Frances Bean

When asked if the collaboration was intended to be an entire album, Stipe corrected that misapprehension, explaining that the album rumor had "become part of the mythology" and that in reality he had "simply constructed a project to try to snap Kurt out of a frame of mind." Stipe went on to describe how he sent Cobain a plane ticket and a driver to take him to the airport, but Cobain had refused to leave his house. We'll never know what might have been, had the collaboration come to be.

12. jo mama

and on the nirvana note, i really wish these dudes would have done an album. this song is so badass...

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

In regards to Radiohead. If you haven’t heard The Smile…. It is very good. Saw them live a couple months ago and it was amazing.

And to each their own in judging their album. I LOVE Pablo Honey. Just encapsulates my teenage angst and age back then. A ton of bands have written music like that BUT the Radiohead quality is just already there and it’s infancy. I also love Hail to The Thief. A couple of the generally weaker songs on that album are pretty amazing live. There There and Where I end and You Begin are enough to make any album rock. Lot’s of quality in there. Wolf At The Door or I Will also stand out.

The King of limbs is by far the weakest album to me. Very impressive. One played live and it’s certainly quality, but I just think it pales in comparison to everything else.

I was pleased with Moon Shaped Pool although I would only have it above TKOL and tied with Pablo Honey.

I know that the next album will be there last. Should there be an album. It makes me sad to think about that. More than any other musical artist, there music was there for me as I grew up and needed it. I really hope I can see them again.

Manny Ramirez, jo mama and DCkid like this.
  14. Chamillionaire

Tool.

I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned.

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Chamillionaire.

I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned.

Gabe0941, Chamillionaire and K mf G like this.
  16. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I want to see a Geto Boys album where they put Big Mike in place of Bushwick Bill just like they used him to replace Willie D on 'Til Death Do Us Part. And since I'm replacing dead rappers in their group I want to see a new NWA album with Snoop in for Eazy-E.

Manny Ramirez and DCkid like this.
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Be careful what yall wish for. You ask for a Smashing Pumpkins record, you get a steaming bag of doo on your porch.

DCkid likes this.
  18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

And this is the primary reason I wish the multiverse was real...just to hear how Nirvana's output would have evolved. :p

dobro1229 likes this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

In regards to cobain, he wasn’t good enough at any instrument to make music like Radiohead.

donkeypunch likes this.
  20. Manny Ramirez

That’s a great choice.

Chamillionaire likes this.