1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top QB in 2023 draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Wattafan, Dec 2, 2022.

?

Texans best option if QB #1 overall

Poll closed Jan 31, 2023.
  1. Bryce Young Al

50 vote(s)
    68.5%
  2. C.J. Stroud OS

7 vote(s)
    9.6%
  3. Will Levis UK

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Max Duggan TCU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Grayson McCall CC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hendon Hooker Ten.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Anthony Richardson Fl

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. No QB with #1

13 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Those really are massive maybes though. Plenty of teams spend over a decade trying to find the answer at QB, it is very difficult. I think it's less about drafting for fit and more about taking a QB when you have the opportunity because those opportunities don't come around often.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats fair. There are plenty of examples where teams have found their answer at the position without it being a top 3 pick too. I just cant go along taking a QB when you have the chance to draft a better player who also fills a need.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah, this.

Someone on the radio yesterday said the better strategy is to build your team and have your defense and offensive players locked in so you can go win a superbowl with a rookie scale QB.

LOL

That's like posting about the best strategy to win the lottery.

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er

Believe Drew Sanders stock will rise as we get closer to the draft. He's likely first LB (depending on how Will Anderson is used) off the board and Top 15 pick.

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I think you’re sleeping on Trenton Simpson

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er

I like Simpson, but think he goes after Sanders. See him more in the 15-25 range.

red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sanders has good tape and will test elite, along with elite size. Calling him a lesser Parsons

rfrocket likes this.
  8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

You mean "Chandler" right, with lesser meaning the pre-"Portions" era?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, hope he’s not Chandler Parsons.

Seriously though, being compared to Micah is impressive.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Maybe. I think Jack Campbell is the best LB in this draft personally.

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

1. Will Anderson
    2. Trent Simpson
    3. Drew Sanders
    4. Jack Campbell
    5. Noah Sewell

This is how I rank them

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yeah I lump Anderson in with the edge rushers, so technically he would be 1 on my LB list too. No issues with the other guys you have listed above Campbell they are great players. I like how Campbell is steady as a rock and is always in the right place and hardly ever blows assignments. He may not be a freak athlete, but he will be a dynamite tackler and super smart defensive player.

red5rocket likes this.
  13. oelman44

oelman44 Member

IMO it's hard to definitively say Anderson/Carter are better players though without counting for positional impact. Defenses tend to ebb and flow with the Patriots being a rare exception over the long term, a true franchise QB can keep your team relevant for 15 years.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So which QB from this year is a franchise QB? I agree with everyone who says QB is the most important position. I also believe you need a top 10 defense to even get you into a position where your franchise QB can catapult you further. Both of those things are constants in the pro game. I just happen to believe that for a team that is just utterly putrid on defense going offense is just not very smart when you have a couple of defenders that by most accounts are ready to contribute on day 1 and be difference makers without any sort of checklist as to what needs to happen for them to be successful (as I feel is the case for each QB in this years draft). No offense to you or anyone else who thinks the first pick should be QB -- it may very well be and hopefully its because the team decided to address the league bottom defense via FA.

15. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Don't think I'm qualified to say whether or not these guys are franchise QB's. I said earlier that's gotta come down to our front office and Demeco - my larger point is if you think BY or Stroud is that guy but have a slight preference for someone like C-Will, I think you take the QB now when you have the opportunity, very risky to wait for a better option to come along. BY/Stroud have also been consensus top-5 picks all year so not like this would be some desperation reach - if we don't take one of them someone else most likely will in the top 5.

We don't need to maximize both sides of the ball next year - with all the cap space and an additional two first rounds next year we'll have plenty of opportunities to build up the roster. Could easily go defense-defense with those picks next year. But I think you take the QB when you have the opportunity and if you go that route it makes sense to get him help on offense for his development.

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im not sure I follow the do or die nature of taking a QB this year. Every single year a new crop of FAs, disgruntled "stars" available via trade or phenom college guys pop up. With so many holes this team shouldn't corner itself into only thinking a QB is worthy with the top pick. I may be more inclined to take a risk with pick 12, but it should be BPA all through the draft until the various holes on the roster start to get plugged. Honestly the more I dwell on it the more I think Houston should jump into the Lamar Jackson trade talks - if everyone wants that proven guy that can be a game changer at the position without needing to wait for the developmental process that comes with most rookie QBs although that comes at a significant price. Its not a right or wrong situation its just a fan preference thing. If they draft a QB I'll support him and as a fan try to see the path on how the team can surround him with the talent and support system to make him succeed.

Pbev99 likes this.
  17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I'd love it if Texans take Anderson - he would likely get double teamed and that will open up opportunities for other dlinemen. Add another danger man in FA and it changes the dynamics of that line completely.
    Take a flyer on Richardson with #12 . You just never know what he could be. One thing is for sure, he will be an upgrade over Mills.
    The next pick, #33 can be your big guy in the middle like Siaki Ika or Mazi Smith.
    By adding those two plus a FA and cutting the worst three, you have a big change on the line and that will help out your secondary as well.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If you signed Payne and Edmunds in FA, drafted Anderson at 2 and then played a defense with more man coverage that would make Stingley shine, the unit could be top 10 very soon.

If you also signed a C and drafted a WR at 1.12 and a TE at 2.33 you’ve basically filled all of your holes.

Except for QB… I don’t think Richardson will be there at 1.12. Maybe Hooker in the 3rd?

Roll with Mills one more year and if it doesn’t work prepare a godfather offer of both firsts, second and the next years first for Maye or Williams next year.

19. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Only 70 days more days of this thread until the draft.

Phillyrocket likes this.
  20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I don't mind the idea of Lamar Jackson but probably pretty unrealistic. And I just think it is much more difficult than that - this may be the last year we're in a position to take a college phenom type, and if you look at the past ~5 years outside of Tom Brady the best QBs to actually hit free agency are names like Jameis, Andy Dalton, Teddy Bridgewater. Derek Carr will be one of the best true free-agent QB options in a while. If your team's in this situation your best option is probably putting together a massive trade package for a disgruntled star like what the Broncos did for Russell Wilson. And if the plan is to depart with 3 1sts down the road to trade for a vet like that on a massive contract or to move up in the draft what's the point of taking a balanced roster build approach from the jump? You're also missing out on the QB on a rookie deal window where teams can really do some damage.

I'd agree if this was last year's QB class but unless consensus is way off this year I don't think it's a reach to take BY/Stroud at #2.

Boii and Verbal Christ like this.