1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2023 Nets Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by engr chris, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Blame coaching and our GM. Also, players don't develop overnight.

xaos likes this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think that’s true that the Nets gave themself more flexibility moving forward. I don’t think Simmons figures into that math- you have to pay a team to swallow his contract at this point BUT I agree that you could potentially move on from Dinwiddie or DFS a lot easier than Kyrie and that is good for them BUT they can turn those guys into draft picks - likely not anyone near as good as Kyrie who himself was a distressed asset. I doubt there is much retooling around Durant - this just gives them the ability to still be a draft player even while they lack their own picks.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I disagree. The unprotected Dallas pick is 2029 - not useful for the current Nets - but useful for a stockpiling team or one that is bereft of picks like Minnesota

They could move Ben plus the draft pick(s) for a max contract. (Towns? Whoever shakes loose). Or if nobody wants him, use Joe Harris as the salary.

They have lots of cheapish decent role players with shooting and defense to the point where they could package them and still have depth. Claxton, Watanabe, Thomas, Sharpe etc all have value.

They are absolutely going to try to bring in another 2nd tier star all offseason - if they succeed it's going to be a real problem for the Rockets

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Ben Simmons and a 2029 first is a trash package.

jim1961 and luckyman76 like this.
  5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

How does that differ than before? That’s the REAL conclusion.

They never once lived up to the expectations and didn’t seem like this year was going to be the year either. Maybe Kyrie forced their hand, but he was gone at the end of the year for nothing anyway…and they wouldn’t have two useful players and a few picks to show for it. I’m guessing they also did the math and saw few top end talent this year sitting in FA who they could sign if they were without Kyrie’s cap hold so which sounds better, something or nothing?

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I do think they could for instance swing a Joe Harris/first rounder from Dallas trade for let’s say a John Collins so I agree they can retool - I’m just saying the ceiling of star they can replace Kyrie with is significantly lower.

…but honestly - why not trade KD to the Lakers and get those picks? They have such a small pathway to contention and KD likely isn’t sticking around so they have to get value in future picks because rhey lost their own flexibility and the Lakers might be a complete **** show very soon.

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If KD is on the Market they can get way better than Westbrook at 2 first rounders. Gobert got 5 first rounders. KD should get 10.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

My sources say teams will be clamoring for the Mavs pick and Ben Simmons so the Nets can pair a star next to Durant.

pelecyberxincubus

SamFisher likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lower ceiling guy yet someone who doesn't set the franchise on fire and actually plays 70+ games is already more wins than Kyrie 50% was giving them - that's bad for us.

Durant to the Lakers? The Lakers wouldn't even be in the top 10 best offers for Durant if they move him.

But it doesn't matter because pretty much every move the Nets make is premised on Durant not staging a work stoppage and playing out his contract.

Like it or not they're going to keep building around him until they can't anymore.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Durant wont be a Net next year. No way.

luckyman76 likes this.
  11. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

He may not be a Net after this week. I still think it is too difficult to trade him now and they will need multiple teams and the roster flexibility of the offseason but it will happen. Anyone here that thinks the Nets will stay intact or be a middling team is living in a fantasy world.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Uh, how does that that differ? Before KD got hurt the Nets won 18 out of 20 games and was looking like the best team in the NBA. Have you not been paying attention?

Now he’s playing next to Dimwiddie and Finney Smith. People said Doncic didn’t have any help before and these two weren’t even the second best player on the Mavs.

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Did you forget the part where the entire first part of the season was a self inflicted Kyrie self destruction sequence…or maybe did you forget the countless other times he went into similar self destruct patterns with this team? Anyone counting on Kyrie to bring his best deserves their fate when he brings his worst.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He’ll bring his best the rest of this year with the Mavs. He is playing for his next contract.

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

No chance. Kyrie will always Kyrie. He will probably be sulking that he's not in LA with Lebron.

glimmertwins likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No one .... but free agency isn't the only way to use cap space, they can orchestrate a trade that brings in someone who is worth the max.

Dudes want to play with Luka .... much easier for them to attract a pissed off star who wants out of his current situation & demands a trade to <here's my short list>.

xaos likes this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

…but what does that say about a player who only brings his best for a few months when contract talks come around? Who is offering that clown the max without significant incentive clauses and even if so - maybe you get off some salary if he acts a fool - but he still clogs your cap sheet so if he goes off to an Indian reservation to protest something - your team is stuck in limbo while he works things out. I don’t see how a serious contender can be built around that. The line starts here for the desperate and right now that’s Dallas and LA.

18. xaos

xaos Member

jim1961 likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

KD for Bridges, Johnson, Crowder and picks