1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giving Green the max will haunt us for years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rolliepollie, Feb 5, 2023.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The problem is the moment you trade a lottery pick in his first 3 years people automatically wonder..... why are you trading this guy? Must be a lemon.

Nothing to do now but sit back and..... get a coaching staff that forces accountability and shot selection and actual fundamental growth.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Should we use that excuse for Nix too? He's only 20 too.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. napalm06

Yeah but all of the instant gratification people are like "WHAT YOU'RE STILL USING THE HE'S 20 EXCUSE?"

Well yeah, he's still 20.

I was watching one of the Clutch City documentaries the other day and realized how much Hakeem benefitted from starting under Moses Malone. Jalen needs a mentor figure.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Depends on the circumstance. Look at the Clippers and SGA for Paul George in a win now trade. I think ideally for Stone, he's only shopping him this Summer in case of a free agent signing, and a coinciding trade.

It's not a duo to get too excited about, but an example this Summer would be signing Harden, and trading for Bradley Beal. In that case Jalen wouldn't be viewed as a bust by any stretch.

napalm06 likes this.
  5. napalm06

This is so dumb I'm surprised you didn't type it in alternating caps.

If you actually want to do this, what evidence has Nix provided that he has an NBA ceiling?

King1, i3artow i3aller and Tuckmose like this.
  6. napalm06

That's certainly true. Although I'm curious what people would want to trade him for that's realistic and not an NBA 2K trade. Probably not even worth thinking about. A quick switch to competing with a big trade and FA signing would be absolutely shocking considering how hands-off Stone has been so far. But maybe if we do win the Victor sweepstakes, anything is possible.

7. vince

vince Member

For me it was Mobley or Cunningham. But Rocket got cute and went with Green. Maybe he still pans out, and becomes a star, but he’s only meh…. As a fan, you hope the top brass knew more than silly fans; but Mobley is quite the player and Green isn’t.

The pressure is coming down hard on Green, and he is struggling to grow as a player.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Exactly. Would anyone be excited about trading Jalen for Bradley Beal??... I mean that's kind of the likely prospective veterans that would be available in a "Vet for Reset" type of trade.

Maybe if the Clippers decide to blow it up they'd be aggressive about Jalen Green being included for PG or Kawhi if the Rockets wanted to try and trade for either while again... probably signing Harden or (vomits) Kyrie.

Green is a good sell to a team like that to sell their fanbase on a young star to reset the team, but as a GM they know they'd need at least one first round pick alongside Jalen in that package. Jalen, a Brooklyn pick, and filler salary probably gets you a veteran star player IMO. BUT a trade like that only gets a team and its fanbase excited IF you are making that kind of trade in concert with a free agent signing or two.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

No.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would agree that trying to use age as an excuse for absolutely pathetic performance is dumb, especially when the best performing player on the team is even younger....yet we seem to get that after just about every game.

It's good that at least you won't be using that excuse for EVERY 20 year old, just literally the worst defensive player in the league and the worst performing player on the team ever since he was drafted.

Sengoat28 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. marky :)

marky :) Member

Or the fact he got injured then he just somehow forgot to shoot...that was kind of a big deal.

12. bmelo

bmelo Member

it's about we stop cuddling them. this is grown men's league, if they ain't ready should have stayed in college

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the problem is they holding back a guy that is a true thing just to see what will happen with green and when he finally starts to turn into the star he may bolt outahere for the bay area

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

jalen green was also injured...jabari also forgot how to shoot....

15. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I agree to an extent that improvement isn’t linear most of the time and young players can backslide.

The specific issue here is Jalen has been a very bad NBA player outside of a month-ish stretch at the end of last season and a few stretches that lasted a week or two.

I don’t need to see him be great consistently but over a year and a half in it’s not unreasonable to expect him to be improving his overall game to where he isn’t a big net negative most of the time.

16. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

I haven't lost faith yet. Part of his development has to do with poor coaching, team chemistry, and limited accountability. He's only a 20 yrs old, a sophomore, and it would be foolish to say that he's reached his peak. He's a few years away before this would be a discussion. Ifhe played like this when it's time to get a contract, you're right and he doesnt deserve the max. Once he gains weight, continue to get more confidence, become more accountable with maturity, he'll be fine.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

I'm just going to assume you don't watch basketball and we'll move along. What happened with Fultz is not even remotely comparable to what's going on with whoever you point out on the rockets.

18. jayfree

jayfree Member

Imagine if the Lakers said that 26 years ago.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

watching Green now actually remind me a lot of Clarkson when he was on the Lakers. A headless chicken with with free reign on offense, can put up a lot of points when he's really hot, but cannot consistently find the easy shots to take/make.

I also don't agree he will anywhere near a max with the effiency he is shooting now. The scoring in this league is inflated to the max, being a 20 PPG scorer really does not mean much anymore. There is a reason why Green is not even considered to be a top player of this class this season despite outscoring everyone.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The delusional fantasy that Jalen Green is Kobe does not make Jalen Green into Kobe.

The two have nothing in common at all