1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Even if we have the worst record, do you honestly believe we'll get the top pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 21, 2023.

?

Even if we have the worst record, do you honestly believe we'll get the top pick?

1. Yes. And, I still believe in Santa Claus & the Easter Bunny.

2. No - It's rigged. Too much talent here already.

3. Maybe, maybe not...I don't know. But it's not rigged.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont even care if thr Rox get the top pick or not, they still have a lot of holes right now only Jalen and Sengun have made the cut for me. A top 5 pick would be great lets grab Leonard Miller, Cam Whitmore, Anthony Black, Ausar Thompson, Gradey Dick etc I mean whoever. Lets just upgrade the roster.

2. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

Here is the thing:

People don't appreciate how small these lottery odds are -- 14% chance of a Wemby means if a Wemby is available every year and we tank for 7 straight years, then you will on average get one.

Even more so, people don't appreciate how slow the odds change if you win more games as the worst team -- If we play at a 31-win pace instead of 19-win pace, we would have the 5th worst record in the league (e.g. Orlando currently), we would have 10.5% chance of a Wemby, for a 3.5% decrease. You would have to tank like us (instead of semi-compete like an Orlando) for about 30 years to get on average an extra top-1 pick.

By the way, I don't think we're intentionally trying to be a 19-win team. They know fielding a 31-win team at this point is massively more promising, but we just suck.

3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I don’t believe in unicorns exist in Houston.

maybe in San Antonio or Detroit :(

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

the worst record used to have 25% odds :(((

BigShasta likes this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Three’s the charm

6. VoR

VoR Member

I think the NBA values the Houston market, so yeah.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's exactly why you want to be worst .... you only have a 14% chance at #1 but you have a 100% chance of being in the top 5 and better than even chance of being 1-4.

Sure, Wemby is the prize this year and Scoot the clear #2 but there's a couple other guys not named Thompson that are going to make their teams very happy.

Brandon Miller
    Anthony Black
    Gradey Dick
    Jarace Walker
    Jet Howard
    Cam Whitmore
    Keyonte George
    Nick Smith jr

Brandon Miller has an outside shot at finishing 50/40/90 and would be my pick 3 and beyond .... I don't like guys who can't shoot. You can keep the Thompson twins.

And there's some talent where the Bucks pick should end up too .... or maybe they move up if someone they like fell some.

Point is, it isn't Wemby or bust like many of you complain .... the idea is being no worse than 5 with the potential for better.

I'm hoping these clowns don't rattle off 4-6 in a row and blow it like the Texans did.

csnerd84 and Rashmon like this.
  8. bmelo

bmelo Member

Do you really think NBA gonna let the biggest prospect since LeBron just land wherever? I'm not saying he is not landing in Houston, but it will not be random

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Wemby is going to San Antonio. They have the lowest cache of any sort of ‘name’ prospects to get excited about right now. That franchise is currently in biggest need of a handout, and there’s a history there with Pop and the organization of building good will among European fans. It fits too well, and Silver will rig it for them. Best we can hope for is Scoot.

Rocketeer, Plowman and bmelo like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Yes, we want to get Wemby or Scoot….

But the bigger picture is we need high draft picks in order to have better tradeable assets.

11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Since lot's of people are so sure that the NBA will rig it so that Wemby goes to the Spurs, does anyone want to make a tip jar bet? I'll take 86% odds sure.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

This is my gut feeling if the lottery is indeed rigged. It just makes the most sense businesswise with French fans already connected to the Spurs franchise via Tony Parker. Much like how the Rockets still have a lot of Chinese fans.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The pace doesn't show the whole picture as bad teams could go on winning streaks or losing streaks at the end therefore sabotaging every on pace prediction.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rudy Gobert ended up in Utah and then Minnesota.

Evan Fournier funnier went Denver.

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

True but none of those guys had clout like Wemby nor considered “generational”. All of this is just speculation on my part of course, who knows.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They became French loving people down there, I wish he lands East if he doesn't come here.

East would be deep.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Lottery odds aren't just about the top pick.

They are about how far you can fall from that top pick.

Being worst you can fall no further than 5th.

Being that 31 win team you might fall all the way to 10 or worse with your 6.5% chance at #1

Much like Chicago or Washington this year, they probably end up with a win total in the low 30's.

As things currently stand, Washington has a 7.5% at the top pick, Chicago a 6% chance at the top pick.

But Washington has a 66% chance of picking between 7-10

Chicago has a 74% chance of picking between 8 & 11.

I'd much rather they are worst and pick no lower than 5 with that 14% chance at the top prize.

Here's a link to the pick odds.
    2023 NBA Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon