1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're basically showcasing how this franchise really has no distinct "history"... and yet they've made more mistakes in their "infancy" than some franchises that have been around since the inception.

And all that being said, Kubiak was the best they could do as a coaching hire. But he also had more credentials and a better lineage than Demeco Ryans, but at this point they need to merely focus on landing a head coach who is actually in demand.

If they predictably lose out on Payton... and Ryans either decides to stay in SF or go elsewhere... and Gannon possibly gets the same ultimatums that turned him off last year, what's next?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL, why even tweet that out?

"With their first draft pick, the Texans could very well pick an offensive player. Or they could pick a defensive player. Or they could trade the pick."

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4105908/2023/01/20/demeco-ryans-49ers-head-coach-candidate/

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Johnny Holland remembers sitting across from DeMeco Ryans at a small table at the 2006 NFL Scouting Combine and asking the then 21-year-old whom he considered the best linebacker on Alabama’s defense.

Holland, who was entering his 12th season as an NFL assistant and his first with the Texans, already knew the answer. Ryans, after all, had recently been voted the SEC’s Defensive Player of the Year. Still, the young linebacker didn’t tout himself like so many prospects do before the draft and instead spent the session pumping up friend and fellow linebacker Freddie Roach.

“To me, that was a reflection of a true leader — that he would lift up the other guys around him before he would lift himself up,” Holland said. “He knew that he was 100 percent the better linebacker. He wanted me to recognize the other linebacker so he could get drafted.”

Holland liked Ryans heading into that meeting. He loved him coming out, and he spent the next two months urging the Houston brass to take Ryans with the top pick in the second round.

He got his wish — there was a lot of lobbying involved — then watched as his rookie linebacker exceeded even Holland’s rosiest predictions. Seventeen years later, Holland has gone from coaching Ryans in Houston to working under him in San Francisco, and he’s certain the same traits that made him an instant star in Houston — attention to detail, selflessness, the ability to raise those around him — will make him an excellent head coach.

“He’s a listener — he’ll listen to any knowledge that he can pick up,” Holland said. “And when I say anybody, that means he’ll listen to players, he’ll listen to the janitor. He’ll listen to anybody to pick up knowledge. To me, that’s what separates him from a lot of people.”

Ryans had a shot at a head coach position a year ago but declined a second interview with the Vikings, a surprise to the 49ers who figured he was on the fast track to a top job. It wasn’t that he didn’t like Minnesota or had second thoughts about being a head coach. That’s been squarely in his sights since he arrived in San Francisco as an entry level assistant in 2017.

It was that he felt he had more to gain as a defensive coordinator. And he knew that when he did, more opportunities would follow.

He was right. Last year he had one main suitor. This year, all five teams with head coach openings want to talk. Ryans met Thursday evening with Broncos officials, who flew to the Bay Area for the interview. He also will meet with the Texans, Colts and Cardinals in coming days — some will be in person, some will be virtual — and the Panthers also have requested an interview.

“With everything you do as a coach, you’re trying to crunch a lot of things in,” Ryans said of juggling interviews and preparing for the Cowboys on Sunday. “I know how to make the main thing the main thing, and the main thing this week is the Cowboys.”

The attention he’s getting underscores that his second season as San Francisco’s defensive coordinator has been a boon for him and the 49ers.

[...]

Robert Saleh, who ran the 49ers’ defense from 2017 to 2020, had a motto to that effect: All gas, no brake. Ryans’ mantra is SWARM, which stands for Special Work Ethic and Relentless Mindset.

[...]

Other players pointed to Ryans’ leadership. When he was a kid, his baseball coaches had him play catcher and his football coaches put him at center. Neither seem like spots suited for someone who was lanky and athletic like Ryans was at the time. But there was a common element — Ryans’ calm demeanor was a stabilizing force at both positions. For Ryans, leading comes naturally.

“I think he’s really figured out how to perfectly push us but not push us too hard and not give us too much credit,” said Bosa, who called Ryans the best defensive coordinator he’s ever had.

Said linebacker Azeez Al-Shaair: “We always talk about, ‘love is stronger than fear.’ And I feel when you have that type of love for your coach, for each other, you take things that much more personally because you know how much he cares. You want to do well for him.”

The comments are echoes of what Texans coaches — including Holland and a first-year wide receivers coach named Kyle Shanahan — witnessed when Ryans was drafted in 2006.

The rookie sat in the front row and took detailed notes. He asked questions. He made sure his teammates kept the locker room and meeting rooms tidy. He was quiet until he needed to speak up, and when he did everyone — young players and veterans alike — snapped to attention. And he always seemed to be a step ahead, finishing second in the NFL with 156 tackles and winning Defensive Rookie of the Year.

“They used to call him Cap — for captain. And he was a rookie,” Holland said. “The veteran players would call him that. It was, ‘Go talk to Cap out there to see how he’s going to handle this.’”

Quarterback Matt Schaub remembers arriving in 2007 and jousting with Ryans, the quarterback of the defense, during practices and then dissecting those sessions with him afterward. Schaub took great pride in his ball fakes and Ryans would let him know whenever he caught a glimpse of the ball behind his back. Schaub, in turn, would tell Ryans if he was tipping off a blitz through the A gap.

Every so often the television cameras will catch something during 49ers games that’s familiar to Schaub and other former Texans — a broad, toothy grin that lights up Ryans’ face. It’s something that appears when the 49ers’ defense is at full swarm.

“And it’s fun to see now because it’s just authentic, it’s pure, it’s him,” Schaub said. “I loved seeing it in practice because it meant we were having fun and we were just playing ball. I liked it even better when it was on Sunday and he was coming off the field and we were going on the field offensively.”

After their meeting at the 2006 Combine, Holland went back to Houston and created a 25-play highlight reel he showed to head coach Gary Kubiak and anyone else who passed by his office. He was obsessed with the Alabama linebacker but worried he wouldn’t be able to land him. That was heightened after the Texans shocked everyone when it was their turn to make the first overall pick. The conventional wisdom was that they’d select either USC running back Reggie Bush or Texas quarterback Vince Young. Instead, they chose Mario Williams, a defensive end from N.C. State.

Holland thought there was no way the Texans would take another defensive player when it was their turn to pick again in Round 2. After all, they had a new coach, Kubiak, with an offensive background. And they’d finished 30th in offense the previous season and had given up an astounding 68 sacks.

Charley Casserly, the general manager at the time, agreed that offensive tackle was the greater need in 2006. But Ryans was the highest rated player on their draft board when the second round began and they decided to take him at that spot. They ended up drafting a pair of tackles, Charles Spencer and Eric Winston, in the third round.

“It was the perfect example of why you take the best player and not the need,” Casserly said in a phone interview.

Holland remembers Ryans stepping to the podium that day in a sharp, blue suit and handling himself like he was an eight-year veteran. It wasn’t long after that when Holland and many other observers began noting that Ryans had all the makings of a future NFL head coach.

Said Holland: “He’s the most polished guy — as a human and as a player and as a leader — that I’ve been around in my 35 years of being around the game.”

mikol13, rfrocket, Shark44 and 3 others like this.
  4. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Virtual or person meeting for Texans ??? we welll see

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm rooting for someone with OC experience that has had a pedigree in working with a young QB and can help develop the next man that takes the job as our new QB.

A guy like Steichen from Philly, if Gannon stays or finds another home, may be someone we could attract. Or maybe even Ken Dorsey who just became the OC for the Bills after Daboll's departure but still kept them in the top 3 of NFL offenses. I know he has a top 3 (probably even the best) QB in this league but still that's saying enough for his point of knowing how to run an offense and build on its weapons.

If those guys are off the table, maybe Bieniemy? Somethings up there, so I'm not sure we'd want damaged goods to lead this already poorly managed team. Maybe a young kid like Evero, from Denver, but he's another DC that hasn't worked with a young talented QB to develop.

Those are my hopeful targets and what seem to at least be on the radar of upper management so far. Fingers crossed I guess....

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If Demeco Ryans is willing to coach here, and the Texans somehow pass or **** it up and run him off... I may very well be done with this team. I know, I know... the whine of the spoiled fan. But I'm already actively not watching their product, which is absolute garbage - so this isn't some empty declaration without action. But as much as I hate the owner and his failure of a GM and essentially every decision they've made since, like, 2020 - the thought of landing a legitimate head coach and, potentially, game-changing prospects has piqued my interest again.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Especially to a coach that is about to turn 60 and is famous for having zero sentimentality.

Teaching and training a rookie QB, that isn't a "special" quarterback sounds like a lot of work. It would be a lot easier to roll into Indy, where everyone will kiss your ass and let you do whatever you want roster and asset wise.... trade future picks for Aaron Rodgers and maybe a receiver or O-Line veteran.... compete for a Super Bowl and get out of town before your 65th birthday and when all the traded draft picks come due.

First, Sean Payton does NOT fit the personality or culture of the Texans. He is considered one of the rudest and least likeable people in the NFL. He is not going to be dragging Cal McNair and the Honky Mafia with him everywhere he goes and he is not going to want to "ask" for anything.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe 30 years ago assistants would be patient and wait.... but this dude would be turning down life-long wealth by staying in Detroit.

justtxyank and tmoney1101 like this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Hire him today!!!

10. Major

Major Member

DeMeco Ryans did that last year, turning down a 2nd interview with Minnesota because he didn't feel he was ready yet and wanted more experience as a coordinator. And that was actually a good gig (unlike the Texans and Panthers).

With these young guys, if they flame out in their first job, it may cost them a ton in career earnings. Setting themselves up to do well the first go-around potentially means a much longer head coaching career.

UTSA2step, Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  11. houston19519

houston19519 Member

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The Texans are in great shape to start making noise next year. Hire Ryans, dl with 1.2, bpa 12. Vet qb like garapolo or Carr if the price is right. Go hard for ol and dl in drat and free agency. Last place schedule in afc south, instant playoff contenders.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

Wow, never thought I would hear that from you. You know the Texans are in dire straits when Hey Now! is declaring that he is done with this team.

But seriously, this is exactly where I am. I've probably watched 2 full games since Culley was hired and they were mostly for the comic relief. But with the 1st....er, 2nd pick in the draft and the open HC position, I am "back" and hoping against all hope that we FINALLY get this right. But definitely not holding my breath.....

Fyreball and Two Sandwiches like this.
  14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

No one is ever really done. They will still post/complain about the team and will be back supporting as soon as the team is winning again.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Kafka seems intriguing just based off what I saw from the Giants with what seems to be little talent on the offensive side of the ball. Though making a good coordinator obviously doesn't necessarily make you a good head coach.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. Hey Now!

I used to watch Red Zone on my TV and the Texans game on my phone - but I haven't done that since the 2nd game of 2021. So I see their Red Zone appearances - but, otherwise, I haven't purposefully tuned into the Texans in a long time - and their prime time games, I just flat-out skip.

17. ima_drummer2k

Totally true. We are just in exile. Like Yoda after episode 3.

Actually, wins and losses don't do it for me. It's more about having an actual plan. For instance, I'm still watching the Rockets. And I supported the Astros when they were losing 100 games every year, although I couldn't watch them because of all that Comcast nonsense.

#3597 ima_drummer2k, Jan 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    Two Sandwiches and mikol13 like this.
  18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

ya this is where I'm at. I watched quite a bit of NFL football this season (mostly due to fantasy/betting), but the amount of time I spent towards the Texans may have been 30 minutes tops all season. Prior to 2020, I'd never miss a Texans game. they put out a garbage, goofy product and think everyone will keep coming back. they have a chance to fix some things here but history tells us they won't be successful.

red5rocket and Hey Now! like this.
  19. Hey Now!

Of course. If they put together a winning product, I'd come back. I was very fortunate to be working with the Astros in '13 and '14 and got to see Luhnow up close and knew they had the right guy in place. No such access with the Texans, but Caserio has done nothing to impress me. And the owner is a first-class dolt. So unless they have tangibly legitimate results, there is literally *nothing* about the franchise to sell me on.

Two Sandwiches, mikol13 and Major like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

The Texans are incompetent.... from the owner, to the GM and all the way down to the head coach.

It is a heavy price to pay, but above all else, the Texans need someone competent making decisions, and Sean Payton is competent.

So, the Texans need to accept that they are incompetent and that they have to pay a premium and bring Payton to Houston and let him run the team for the next 5-10 years. Then (assuming Cal hasn't died from clogged arteries) the McNair's can pay a premium again to bring in someone else competent to run the organization.

The Texans have hired..... Lovie Smith, David Culley, Romeo Crennel, Bill O'Brien, Wade Phillips, Gary Kubiak and Dom Capers as their head coaches. The McNair family is clearly not qualified or capable of exercising proper judgment when it comes to hiring a head coach.