1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. CinematicFusion

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Depends upon if you bring back Bregman and Altuve. Tucker after 24 would have 1 year
    At 20M left on his contract. That would
    Probably be considered around 20-30M in surplus value and be worth one prospect around 25-50 range in the prospect rankings. if Altuve and a Bregman are back we still have all our pitching under contract and are making a run at the WS. I wouldn’t trade that for one really good prospect. If Altuve and Bregman are gone after 24 I’m fine with putting everyone on the market and starting over, because that would show me we aren’t really all that interested in winning World Series so we might as well start over and see what you could get for the following:
    1 year- Tucker, Javier, Framber, Urquidy
    2 years- Abreu, LMJ
    3 years, Peña
    4 years- Yordan, Brown.

That would mean none of those guys got extended and we haven’t turned any future signing into stars. That 25 team could win 90 games and sneak in as a WC but wouldn’t be dangerous to win a title.
    The 26/27/28 teams become average to below average with a couple stars on them.

I’d think if you traded those 9 guys after 24 you could get 8 or 9 top 50 prospects and another 5 or 6 top 100 ish prospects. 2 top 50’s for
    Yordan and Brown, 1 or 2 for Peña and 1 each for Tucker, Javier and Framber. Top 100 type for LMJ, Urquidy, and Abreu plus another one of those maybe for Peña (if you only got 1 top 50 guy for him) and sweeteners for Tucker, Javier, Framber, Yordan and Brown provided they are all playing like all Stars. Hopefully you will have drafted a couple guys you like, you can have zero payroll, take on some other teams bad contracts for too
    Flight contracts, suck in 25 and 26 for super high draft picks, stacks some cash and 27 looks a lot like 2015 as the start of a 10 year dynasty.

I’d much rather extend our pitching and Tucker and be ready to be awesome through 28 or so when Brown and Yordan are up, but if we can’t work out extensions I’d rather trade our likely 3 all stars in their walk years than look at a huge step back in 25 coupled with the knowledge that all those dudes are going to walk and we will become average and then below average.

Ideally we win a couple more WS the next two years and Crane seems the franchise to someone that is really rich and can afford to pay players beyond their club control and not an owner that is just not able to spend to the threshold, let alone into the first or second threshold which now looks like minimum requirement to compete with the big boys.

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He’s like the only guy the Braves didn’t extend and they are fighting him for couch cushion money. That’s sort of funny. They should just trade him out of general principle

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I could live very well on "couch cushion money"

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

6. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I like adding players.

IBTL, ryan_98 and RKREBORN like this.
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Leaves us room for German Ramirez and Ruben Menes.

Diaz gave us room by signing for a quarter million less than expected.

No Menes - Signed with the Cardinals.

Looks like Perez is getting his share.

#8567 Marshall Bryant, Jan 15, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sure. But it's rounding error for the Braves total budget and it represents about 0.6% of what his career earnings are probably going to be.

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would say that Mookie Betts is probably the closest comp to Kyle Tucker. Betts admittedly has a huge first few years but much of the national perception that he is better than Tucker is du⁹e to national media and him playing in Boston and LA.

They are MUCH closer than you think.

Arb salaries were: $10.5M, $29M, $27M

Then signed 12yr/ $365 deal for ages 28-39

Note that he is 1 year younger than Kyle throughout the process.

Seasons 1-3 going into arbitration:

Betts OPS+ 117, 133, 108
    Tucker OPS+: 124, 147, 128

I will give you that Betts WAR is much higher but considering Tucker is a great fielder and baserunner and that number accounts for hitting, I have no idea why.

Salaries across the board are much higher now.

Based on this I have no idea how the Astros think they can win at $5M vs $7.5M?

And my 8yr /$215 or 10/$270 proposals are not unreasonable considering they only run through his age 33 or age 35 seasons.

cmlmel77 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  10. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Mariners fans trying to s*** talk is almost cute.

11. Buck Turgidson

WAR includes defense and baserunning (and Mookie was also great at both during the years in question)

#8571 Buck Turgidson, Jan 15, 2023
    Joe Joe likes this.
  12. Yordan The Great

WAR!!! What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing!!

Edwin Starr apparently does not believe in this metric.

#8572 Yordan The Great, Jan 15, 2023
    Mr.Scarface likes this.
  13. plee

plee Member

They still lost the game... :rolleyes:

everyday eddie and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

15. Buck Turgidson

Cumulative wins, I assume?

marks0223 likes this.
  16. Yordan The Great

Uh, duh.

I do find it quite amazing that only the Yankees have more playoff wins over the past 26 years. Astros had a really good 10 yr run from 97-06. And now 15-22.

17. Buck Turgidson

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Mookie had 24.3 WAR going into Arb1
    Tucker has 12.8 WAR going into Arb1

Biggest difference is PA to account for WAR. Both are good defenders and base-runners as well as hitters.

But Mookie is one of the few with a lower Arb3 than Arb2, so that is an example that arb can go down.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Checking in for what should be the final stretch run of free agency, there are still quite a large number of lefty relievers out there that I think could provide a moderate upgrade to Houston’s bullpen:
    Danny Duffy
    Andrew Chafin
    Brad Hand
    Matt Moore
    Will Smith
    Daniel Norris
    Mike Minor
    Zack Britton
    Jake McGee

I think any of those guys would be an upgrade over whoever is slotted for that last bullpen spot (either Taylor or Martinez).

I also wouldn’t mind if they brought in Alfaro or Sanchez as the backup C on a 1 year deal, although that would be a bit of a negative sign for what the org thinks of Korey Lee.

Other than that I don’t see any free agents who strike me as potential targets, and at this point I also don’t really see any realistic trade targets.

20. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member