1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It won't make the team much better, but Silas should resign

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Silas is weak. You got some young guns on this team, they will do some stupid stuff. But you can't have a nice coach and let him nurture them like they are infants. The team needs someone who will put them in place, not someone who will talk to them nicely.

I am starting to think management picked Silas because their plan from the beginning was to tank as hard as possible because Silas has not proven in any way that he has a system. I still don't know the style he is trying to set up. I don't know if he prefers offense over defense.. This team has not shown a consistent improvement...there were games were we looked like a team, but those were rare..

ashleyem likes this.
  2. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I will keep with my same assessment from last year and this summer. This is a 20-25 win team until the summer and Silas was never going to be the coach going forward. I don't think he is replaced until the offseason. I do think it would be better to go ahead and start doing the search now for a real coach that is going to hold the players accountable. We have a lot of kids and KPJ is a 6th man not a point. I would much rather see the players lose playing the right way. It always seems to devolve into playground ball with guys that never seem to shoot well.

3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

In the years that I'm easily able to grab offensive and defensive rating stats from NBA.com (since '96-'97), here are the teams that have had BOTH a bottom five offense and bottom five defense for multiple years in a row:

1999-2002 Warriors (3x)
    2020-2023 Rockets (3x), if current standings hold

2011-2013 Bobcats (2x)
    2017-2019 Suns (2x)

That's it. Every other tanking team you can think of (the expansion Bobcats, the Process 76ers, the current Magic and Pistons, the Kings' 15 year playoff drought) at least managed to show some improvement on one side of the ball.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Once again, the fact that KPJ can leave at halftime, face almost no consequences, have no competition or backup at all brought in in the offseason, and then get an $82 million contract extension is an MGMT thing, not a coach thing.

All of your conjecture about lack of systems is the type of thing we'll find out about soon enough, though i guess you can always complain about the next system

It seems far more likely that the players are not executing rather than that they don't have a system at all. One can actually see when they do it correctly what the vision is - quick reads, transition, up tempo.

The execution most of the time is the opposite of this.

#44 SamFisher, Jan 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    Corrosion likes this.
  5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

How do you know the team isn't listening to him? Armchair people have magical ears at times

6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Just normal youth problems......................they should be All Stars by now

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

deductive reasoning.

It's probably either true that:

Silas is telling them to do X, and they are not listening to it or incapable of doing it and instead doing Y.

Or,

Silas is saying that he's telling them to do X - but is secretly telling them to do Y and they're just listening and executing his instructions

In the real world, for example, Silas says he wants them to play fast (and he has said this for years in press conferences and interviews) and yet in the real world they have numerically the slowest halfcourt offense in the NBA) and are only 18th in pace (16 spots lower than last year).

Seems more logical and likely to me that they stopped listening/ignore/whatever than a scenario in which he's secretly telling them to run Harden and Luka sets at 8 seconds on the :24.

But you're right i don't have direct evidence of what Honcho is being told - maybe is getting told to play Honchoball.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

That game-night interview with Silas was crap

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

When u got a buncha kids - u need an authoritarian... somebody to keep crap in line.

If u got a bunchca seasoned vets - then u need someone a lil more hands off thats gonna manage egos...

silas aint the guy....

cml750 and BallSoHarden like this.