1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green for LaMelo Ball - would ya?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2022.

?

Would you trade J. Green for L. Ball?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2023.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No

213 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What about trading Ego, Christopher and this years pick for Lamelo?

give them 2 shots at Wemby

DD

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Doubt that gets it done but sign me up yesterday

I’d throw Alpi into the trade as a sweetener

ashleyem, Jontro and DaDakota like this.
  3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Okay you pushing it DD lol

"Hail Hydra" likes this.
  4. DaDakota

Having fun.

DD

"Hail Hydra" and javal_lon like this.
  5. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

I was actually thinking about this awhile ago. If we get Wemby it might be a good idea. Putting Lamelo and Wemby together would be too good.

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Can you at least say , " knowing we have the 3rd or 4th pick after the lottery has happened".. Then I might entertain it for a quick second ... Doubt it, but I might..

7. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Scoot and Green > Lamelo and KPJ

theDude, Jontro and peleincubus like this.
  8. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

I’m sick of KPJ as PG but we haven’t seen enough of KPJ playing off ball or as the secondary facilitator to make this call yet. Green has hardly set the world on fire and has his own flaws.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Nah but they definitely can have Porter

Jontro likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

There really isn't anything fun about your takes because they are stupid.

No one is saying yes to any trades. Why would the Hornets do the trade if LaMelo is as great as he is?

You aren't here to make the team better. You are just to rile fans up a bit.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  11. Ancient Moabite

I didn't say you wouldn't accept it I was saying there would be newer alphabet gang groups as has been the case since ppg/rpg/apg etc became PER/WS which became the new alphabet gang club you posted

And you would have lost that bet because its been plenty of 20/10 players since the 60s and they are not equal, Z Randolph put up plenty of seasons of those numbers but nobody is calling him one of the greats, so Wood and his past season didn't mean nothing because it got him traded shortly after

I like to use all stats/eye test and actual playing experience combined when speaking about any player using a 80/20 ratio with the latter two being the 80%

Now go laugh until you cry a blue Nile river(Pacific ocean)

12. DaDakota

I am here to talk Rockets with other fans - not riling anyone up at all, I would legit do the trade.....but I am smarter than most so....(Ok, that last bit was untrue and the only riling up I have done here. )

LOL

DD

Jontro and studogg like this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I agree about making tough choices early to build a contender…but I think any trade with Ball involved would either require us to either let go of our highest ceiling player or let go of other valuable young players AND your Lotto pick…I think there is only a 20/25% chance at best you come out ahead on any of those scenarios and it would be a win in the long term at best which doesn’t really speak to being good sooner rather than later. At that point you are just hoping one player turns into a superstar and another is merely an all star and really Houston has a different problem holding us back.

The problem in Houston isn’t really that we don’t have a foundational player - Green is likely one…but that the team needs to grow a pair and commit to that vision of that player and start building a roster around that. THAT is how we get better. This draft will be the last domino there - at that point we will know what we have to build a roster out of and the KPJ’s and Sengun’s of the world will be judged more on how they fit that vision. We just have to be willing to let good players go and be proactive about maximizing the asset value of players who don’t fit a system that suits our franchise player.

I think a more interesting thought experiment is to reflect on how Boston, Memphis, Milwaukee, and Phoenix built promising young teams through bottoming out and rebuilding around the draft. When did they commit to their franchise player and start building around them…what player did they let leave who were good elsewhere(and why)…when did they start acquiring supporting talent and how were those players acquired, etc.

my biggest fear with this team is not that we are going to be too precious and NOT make moves we need to make…it’s that Fertita will grow impatient and make short sighted deals to win now and we start losing asset value while getting locked into bad short sighted deals. That is WHY we have pressure on us to win next year because we paid OKC to take Paul so we could have Westbrook. Let’s not make the same mistake twice. Patience isn’t necessarily a bad thing and I say that as a harsh critic of Danny Ainge for not “******** or getting off the pot” so to speak.

cbass, fchowd0311 and xaos like this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You make many good points here but the issue here is why even contemplate Ball? Ball is the Hornet's baby. The city of Charlotte love him. He's everything they could have asked for with a 3rd overall pick. The only thing that is a wild card here is LaMelo's health. Green, knock on wood, doesn't have much of anything when it comes to major injuries. Though a player of his explosiveness is prone to thing like potential hamstring strains (Will Fuller syndrome).

Neither team does a trade here. And the Hornets would laugh and promptly hang up if we say the words "KPJ.... LaMelo" in the same sentence.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i wonder if they would even entertain an offer of kpj for a package centered around theo maledon lol

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

TMack never got out of the first round either

Rocket River

17. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

Lamelo is a passing guard who averages 24points, 6 rebounds and 8 assists a game this year. He’s more a well rounded offensive player who’s not afraid to hit big shots

DaDakota likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’d trade Sengun, this year’s pick if not #1, and several BK picks plus whatever else on the roster aside from Jabari/Green…would like to keep Tari tho

LaMelo
    Green
    Tari
    Jabari

that’s a good foundation

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don’t want Ball - just playing along with the thought experiment. I also don’t think Charlotte would part with him and if they ever did it would be for “an offer they can’t refuse” which would likely not pan out for Houston. There is nothing about this conversation that I think is feasible from Jordan’s perspective…but I get where DD is going with what big swings would we be willing to consider to make this team better.

20. cbass

cbass Member

You just keep doing the same thing over and over again. And you do it while insulting the intelligence of anyone who disagrees with your opinion, which, again, you present as fact. It’s like your main rhetorical tactic and it’s transparent.

You aren’t an expert, you’re a dude with an opinion on a Rockets fan board. You aren’t in a position to speak with certainty on anything Charlotte would or wouldn’t do - only what you would or wouldn’t do.

#140 cbass, Dec 29, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2022