1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green for LaMelo Ball - would ya?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2022.

?

Would you trade J. Green for L. Ball?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2023.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No

213 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

LaMelo is a better defender than Trey. Oops, the end.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Just get rid of KPJ or make him a 6th man. That's where you start. It's hilarious watching his 6 fans try to get rid of players to help a scrub

AroundTheWorld, napalm06 and J.R. like this.
  3. J Rock

J Rock Member

I logged in just to vote no to this ignorance.

DaDakota and Believe It! like this.
  4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Is this fun enough for you DD?

5. Ancient Moabite

Indeed

6. Ancient Moabite

They still use said stats from the 60's as ppg/rpg etc so I guess by the year 2040 all those newbies will be laughing at and dismissing your DBPM/VORP/OBPM, because they will have then created a new group of alphabet gang numbers that says something remixed up that all came from the parent(raw stats)

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A trade that got the Rockets absolutely no closer to winning a playoff series
    even though they played inferior opponents to the Mobley/Francis playoff run

I would paid Jalen with LeMelo . .. not for him
    Pass . . .. I prefer to continue to build

Quick Fixes that don't work:
    Barkey for our Youth - Horry /Cassell
    TWack for our Youth - Francis / Mobley

Rocket River

xaos likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Of course it is controversial - I am not afraid of tough conversations, that is what makes this place great.

DD

xaos and SamFisher like this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean Francis never panned out after the Rockets minus like one more borderline all-star level season with the Magic I believe.

But what is promising for Green compared to Francis is he came in to the league 2 years younger and shows more maturity at 19 and 20 than Francis ever did. Francis had some personal mental health issues that really derailed what he could have been. Green doesn't have those issues. He's been a clean straight edge kid his entire life.

10. DaDakota

Sure, I think it is interesting to see who is wrapped up in a player vs who would take the better player for the franchise.....

Of course some believe Jalen to be the better player, so, yeah, it is fun.

Thanks for asking.

DD

harold bingo likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No one thinks Green is a better player now than LaMelo. We are talking about ceiling. It's debatable but I would say in a non Rocket poll, more non Rocket fans would pick LaMelo over Green than Green over LaMelo in the long term.

But also most neutral fans are more likely to just make the safe assumption based on who is better now even though one is a year ahead in development. In fact you'd be surprised how many people would say someone they prefer Anfernee Simons over Green. Most non biased fans are going to pick the person who is currently playing better regardless what stage of development they are in. In this case Simons is like 3 seasons of development ahead of Green so you're going to see a lot of absurd takes like preferring Simons over Green for the long term.

gfab-babyboi, xaos and DaDakota like this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

#112 ApacheWarrior, Dec 28, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    DaDakota and Ancient Moabite like this.
  13. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I wouldn't at this point because while the certainty of Ball's potential may be a bit better than Green, I don't think it's by a significant margin, and I think the ceiling is pretty comparable. Also, I don't think that's how you build a franchise. When it's not a certain thing, you don't trade potential with another potential two years in. You need to build culture, brand and sense of loyalty among not just the current players, but future players and even the fanbase.

xaos likes this.
  14. DaDakota

The point is, if you truly want the Rockets to win a ring, you have to be able to make hard decisions that might make the team a lot better.

This is one of those decisions - do you go for an elite PG to pair with a good SG, or do you stay with an average PG paired with an up and coming SG?

I am 100% in favor of trading ANYONE if it makes the team better....

And, I think LaMelo is a lot better than Green and is way more skilled at about the same age, so yeah, would do it so fast your head would spin.

And for the record would do it for KPJ too of course...and probably Sengun - maybe even Jabari......LaMelo is better and has a higher ceiling than anyone on our team, IMHO.

It is ok to disagree.....that is the fun part.

DD

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ball is only 6 months older than Green which is pretty freaky.

Lloyd Estacio and DaDakota like this.
  16. sogood.

sogood. Member

lmao what? You think I won't be accepting of new/better advanced stats?

Bet you thought Christian was one of the best players in the league when he averaged 21/10 for us lol.

Man some of you guys gotta be open to learning new things.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The fun part would be to identify draft picks in the teens and later lottery that are essentially Top 5 picks.

Haliburton and Mathurin came to my mind.

There are more than just a way to get better.

18. DaDakota

drafting is 3-5 years in development. Trading nets you a proven player, either can be fun to do though.

I want Amen Thompson if we don’t get Wemby.

DD

19. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

curious - where do you see the valuation of LaMelo vs KPJ.

I promise to try to not giggle at your answer

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am okay with LaMelo, I admit I do not scout before drafts and I became jaded with all this rebuilding stuff.

If we could hold onto Green, might also cling onto him for as long as necessary.