1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green for LaMelo Ball - would ya?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2022.

?

Would you trade J. Green for L. Ball?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2023.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No

213 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's posts like this that make me wish that the BBS had a way to downvote, next to the like button. Currently, about 25% of voters would agree with your totally non-controversial take.

pippendagimp and cbass like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We must get rid of KPJ and Nix and Silas, that's all that matters.

fattz and King1 like this.
  3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

There's only a nominal difference between the two players as it stands. In such a case - you go with ceiling and age - both of which, I feel are in Jalen Green's favor.

It is an interesting thought exercise. Since Ball's father is no longer a distraction - I could definitely see the argument being made for such a move. However, I think Green's speed is special and expect year three to be where he becomes consistent which will lead him to having the edge in pretty much every category save for assists.

Boii and Dobbizzle like this.
  4. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Heck now I wouldn't trade Green for LaMelo...Ole boy can't stay healthy, and I think Green would shine more if KPJ was not our point guard.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think it really is fair to players as young as Melo to be already labeled winners or losers. Without LaMelo, Rozier has the highest usage rate on that team. That's really sad. He really doesn't have anyone around him.

6. Ancient Moabite

Thing is (as you mentioned) Ball isn't nowhere near impact level individually as Bron and its hard to compare with Magic because he came into the league with multi MVP player and couple years later had one of the best college players in Worthy, you have to have talent to win, that making your teammates better is just a code phrase for ''willing passer'' (assist hunting)

Nobody actually makes their teammates better, just easier on others especially if you have a big 2/3 as a foundation, but the others still have to be capable of making a wide open shot or whatever may be their specialty

Green is more comparable and related to Kobe because they came straight out of HS even though Green played like 15 or so G league games

If I had to choose between a scorer or passing guard to build my team I Am selecting the scorer because at the end of the day its about getting buckets

7. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I think it's fair to assess a player you are attempting to trade for. Both players do not move the needle as far as WaR. So you might as well continuing developing your own player. Charlotte is going to look much better with Victor next year though

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't really cater to nutter opinions, even if they make up the majority of a space.

Right now Jalen is one of the worst defensive players in the league and he's a streaky low efficiency scorer with a weak handle who can't reliably create for others or be the primary ball handler for his team.

Now we all think he'll improve eventually... but if you're Charlotte why would you even consider trading a player that is much further ahead in development for that?

You wouldn't. No one would.

That's why I say it's not controversial.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'd trade KPJ and a couple firsts for Lamelo Ball if possible.

Jalen straight up, yes.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

For the same reason 30 out of 30 NBA teams think Jalen Green is a better more valuable piece than Kevin Porter Jr.

dmoneybangbang and cbass like this.
  11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Tough decision, because you want it to be your guy that you drafted, just feels better if you're successful this way. However, Melo has "It", he has real swagger, real confidence that translates to the court, they were a play in team with an above .500 record last year when Lamelo was the same age as JG is this year, where we are dead last again. How many young true point guards are there in the league? There are plenty of comparisons we make for JG, I mean just on our own team we have a glut at SG, this position is available throughout the league. An Elite athletic pass first PG with this type of court vision is not available, if it were we should be looking at trades for them.

The level of confidence that ANT and Lamelo have is very clear, it is just natural, you feel like they wake up every day knowing they are the best. You see Ja try to fake this type of confidence with his words, even though he is very good. A lot of players fake this confidence. Even if this team ends up being good down the road, I feel like they will be pretty nervous when the games matter.

harold bingo likes this.
  12. cbass

cbass Member

YOU wouldn’t. Saying Charlotte wouldn’t or no one would is pure conjecture out of your ass that you are trying to claim is a fact.

13. Carpe82

Carpe82 Member

People smokes bad **** in Christmas

14. JW86

JW86 Member

Good grief…I’m thinking what’s the best way to describe how much of a NOOOOOOOO this is for me!

There’s the good old Dakota we know, cheers. Thanks for laugh.

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

I feel like this thread is going to get bumped 10 years from now when Green is a sure hall of famer super star and LaMelo is no longer in the league...

Rocket River likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have no reason to think Charlotte is dumb or a Jalen Green fanboi.... thus, for the reasons I spelled out to you, they wouldn't be interested.

17. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

#97 Spoolxx, Dec 28, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  18. maj21

maj21 Member

You’re right, that’s why I said they’re a much higher level. LaMelo is special and so is green. I don’t think either side would trade their guy for the other

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

In the words of the Dude, that's just like, your opinion, man.

theDude likes this.
  20. sogood.

sogood. Member

Bro even right now with a hobbled Lavine, his efficiency ***** all over Jalen.

and take a look at their advanced stats. It shows that LaVine is heads above Jalen.

So I have no clue why you think Jalen is performing as well as LaVine.

TS%- LaVine: .566/ Jalen .536

WS- 1.5/ 1.0

OBPM- 1.0/ -2.1

DBPM- -1.2/ -2.0

VORP- 0.5/ 0.0

Unless you're looking at raw basic stats like it's 2008 lol.

Spoolxx likes this.