1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green for LaMelo Ball - would ya?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2022.

?

Would you trade J. Green for L. Ball?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2023.
  1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No

213 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Number 1 is good, number 2 is meh, that means nothing everyone says they want to play with everyone.

Luka says build around Green.

Dame, Lebron say KPJ is one of the better up and coming players.

I mean players just choose players they like just like we do.

DD

2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is some wild diversity in here. Everything from “hell no” to people willing to part with half our roster, including recent picks.

As presented, I voted yes for giving up Green for Ball. While I realize it would take more than just a straight swap to get him, I wouldn’t be willing to give up more than the usual suspects in trade proposals and some picks to make it happen.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Green was the higher rated prospect in high school and was drafted at a higher spot than Ball was. He'd be a junior in college this year.

You are judging him while he's playing in a trash system for an incompetent coach. Let's fix the systemic problems holding us back before we trade away the #2 pick from a year ago.

cml750 and Dobbizzle like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Why are you so eager to trade Green?

You have that big of a man crush on KPJ?

You believe KPJ & Green are similar players (or on similar trajectories) yet also believe Green has more trade value. Why would he have a higher value if they’re (on) similar players/trajectories?

To “balance the roster”, let’s trade KPJ or relegate him to Sixth Man.
    (LOL Y’all finally admitting what everyone except 5-6 KPJ fans knew: KPJ is not a PG/Rockets need a PG. “Yeah, acquire a PG, move KPJ to SG/SF!”)

Play TyTy
    Sign Harden
    Sign Kyrie (Yeah, I said it!)
    Trade for a PG
    Doesn’t have to be star.
    Draft.
    All sound better than trading Green & picks.

#64 J.R., Dec 28, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jalen Green and bag chips for 2023 1st Overall pick plus heavily protected picks?

Throw in an Alexis Texas tape.
    @Jontro

Who says yes and who says nope?

DaDakota likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well of course the Rockets would do it, but the Hornets wouldn't.

Lloyd Estacio and harold bingo like this.
  7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I dont watch enough of the Hornets. What I do know is that my personal opinion holds Green as a better prospect.

Ball has been injured, looks to be as bad or worse than Jalen on D and seems spoiled. I could be wrong and we will need to evaluate thus thread in 3-5 years.

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

player for player... maybe... pg harder to get than a sg...
    but then there's the elder Ball... which is a huge neg...
    i think we're talking 1 less year under contract...

i guess i'd have to do my due diligence regarding comparable pgs - without the ol man baggage... vs cost...

id have the conversation - but cant say definitively... lol

9. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Not a fan of LaMelo as the face of a franchise. Also who do I see as a better 2 guard prospect between KPJ or Green? I see Green as a superior player. I can get another LaMelo or close to that. LaMelo also isn't a winner so a trade would be a lateral move. I want something that moves the needle when I trade a player I'm developing. Trade Tate or KJ for J. Vanderbilt. Trade Sengun for a lottery pick(don't) but you catch what I'm saying

10. sogood.

sogood. Member

lmao a healthy LaVine posted 27/5/5 on 51/42/85 shooting splits and you took that as an insult?

Spoolxx likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

1.6/ 10

LondonCalling likes this.
  12. cbass

cbass Member

You have a tendency to speak with certitude about things you couldn’t possibly be certain of. Then you pass it off as fact, when it’s really just your opinion and speculation.

13. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Poll going as I expected.. but somewhat surprising. Lol

14. ilias

ilias Member

This. Green has a realistic path to being the best scorer in the league, potentially even a generational scorer. His physical attributes and skill set is extremely rare. What he already did in his first 100 games is extremely rare.

My thesis is that he has the tools to be one of the best scorers of all time, ie someone that scores 32+ ppg at 60%+ efficiency. He is one of the very rare players that can be elite at all 4 types of scoring: a) taking and making 3s, b) midrange game (floater, jumper), c) driving and finishing at the rim, d) taking and making free throws.

A lot of the development required to get there will happen with age, as he gains muscle and bulk and learns to read defences better.
    • He can take a 3 any time he likes with his ability to elevate and his side/back-step. He has the physical toolset to be elite at off-ball movement. He already has the second highest volume of 3s made per game for a rookie in NBA history. If he follows the average historical trend of shooting improvement, we are looking at a 35%+ shooter that can take over 10 3s a game. It’s pretty likely that he makes over 3.5 3s per game in his peak.
    • He has a generationally elite first step and a unique ability to gain separation from his defender, but he struggles in making the right decisions once he gets that separation - often taking unnecessarily tough long 2s instead of driving to the basket. His decision-making will improve with age. With his expected physical growth (5 kg of muscle) he will feel more confident in driving to the basket and finishing through contact. With higher usage (from 27% to low-mid 30s), substituting long 2s with drives to the basket, and better finishing at the rim (thanks to better ability to finish through contact), it is quite likely that he adds another 4-5 pts per game.

• More drives, higher usage, and getting the star whistle, will result in more free throws. Top guards with his physical tools typically peak at over 10 FTAs p/g. He shoots these at 80%+. That’s another 4 ppg over where he is today.
    • Efficiency will come with getting better 3pt shots (more assisted), less long 2s, more drives, more free throws, and most importantly an overall better team around him that allows him to take higher quality shots.
    • He is already at 22 ppg. Adding one 3 made, 4 FTM, and two finishes at the rim, takes him to 33 ppg. Nothing about that is guaranteed, but also nothing about it requires anything extraordinary from him, beyond the natural physical and mental development that takes place with age.
    I love Lamelo’s skill and BBIQ, but we should not lose track of how rare Jalen’s combo of skill and athleticism is.

studogg, xaos and cbass like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Only things that are obvious.

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Jalen Green is the TRUTH. Lamelo Ball isn't touching Jalen's potential

Ancient Moabite and xaos like this.
  17. cbass

cbass Member

But that’s the whole deal, it’s not, even though you say it is and speak with false certitude again.

18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nah, you missed the point entirely. I'm saying that right now, Green is performing as good as Lavine is, in his second season. So to suggest all he could ever be is Lavine is disingenuous at best. Nothing more, nothing less. Dunno where you got "insult" from at all to be honest dude.

xaos likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's really not a controversial take at all.

20. cbass

cbass Member

According to you. There are obviously many people on this thread that disagree with that. And just because you say or believe something doesn’t mean it’s necessarily true.

And rather than just saying, “Yes, I prefer LaMelo”, you say with certainty that the Rox would do it and the Hornets wouldn’t, as if it were a fact. And, again, you cannot possibly know if that’s true or not.