1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Yordan The Great

Can y'all ****ing start a Bauer thread or else shove this crap up y'all's collective asses.

2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. Lol.

3. Major

Major Member

Not that I'm trying to defend Bauer, but all these cases are very different. Cosby was actually found guilty by a judge and jury, but was released on a technicality. Watson never went to trial and there are all sorts of inconsistencies there, so it seems clear something bad happened, but still unclear exactly what. (though one lawsuit is still pending so we may learn more) Most of the the women also went the civil route, making criminal prosecution more complicated/limited.

The Bauer case actually had a judge not just ruling on not-enough-evidence or whatever - they actually ruled in favor of Bauer. They concluded the California woman lied at various points in her claims; they denied her restraining order request (which have a really low bar); they found evidence that his version of what happened was more credible. What you want to do with that is up to you, and I don't know anything about the Ohio cases which may be very different. There's enough smoke there and I still wouldn't want him associated with the Astros, but my only point is that each of these 3 cases' circumstances are very different and trying to put them all in one bucket is silly.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I haven't heard anyone defending the revulsion of the charges, just whether they make him guilty because of the charges themselves, absent public disclosure of a legitimate investigation. This also is not Legal innocence which is beyond reasonable doubt and provable in a court of law. It's about prejudging the situation simply because the charge is upsetting.

That is my final word. We aren't even talking about the same subject. You are talking about a crime and I'm talking about judging guilt without the facts.

Tomstro likes this.
  5. cbass

cbass Member

You’re misconstruing my point.

I wasn’t trying to make the claim that all 3 of those cases are identical. I was simply showing why not being charged and/or having charges dropped doesn’t necessarily equal innocence.

6. plee

plee Member

This is just a small sample size of the polarity of Bauer so I doubt Crane will step into this...

SWTsig, mikol13, Major and 2 others like this.
  7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

So you put more faith into public opinion than into the legal system. That’s your choice. But no you haven’t illustrated anything by bringing up those guys. Each situation is different and I’m pretty sure Cosby went to prison. So it’s not apples to apples. If Bauer gets charged and convicted or loses a civil trial then my opinion would change. That’s when yours should change too but to each their own.

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

You were definitely comparing them. And you got embarrassed. Move on please. I'd put less than 1% odds of the Astros signing Bauer. He doesn't fit the risk/reward profile we are looking for at this time.

At this point, I'm in favor of being patient and not reaching for any of the remaining free agents. If there's an opportunistic, win-win trade, then go for it... otherwise roll with some youth in CF and backup C. Everything else is solid.

PiPdAdY33 likes this.
  9. jayfree

jayfree Member

I just saw an article that the Astros should target Lucas Luetge LP DFA'd by the Yankees. At first he made a good point being a lefty bullpen guy with 129+ innings and 2.71 ERA the last two years with the Yankees, but then I saw he didn't play in a single playoff game (out of 10) for the Yanks in those two years.

Makes you wonder why a guy that pitches so well gets DFA'd and doesn't play in the post season when you relied on him during the regular season. At least Stanek got SOME innings last year in the playoffs.

everyday eddie and Bregatron like this.
  10. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

I really hate to drag myself in this non-baseball nonsense, but Bauer is an arrogant, misogynistic, cheating, whining, selfish, Astros-hating man-child liar. And that's what I thought of him before these abuse allegations. I don't want him anywhere near the Astros, and I would prefer not having to read all this about his off-field stuff when all I care about now is seeing if the Astros make one more move or if they are happy with rolling with Lee/Diaz and Chas/Meyers.

11. cbass

cbass Member

I said, “I wasn’t trying to make the claim that all of those cases are identical”

You responded, “You were definitely comparing them. And you got embarrassed.”

Is reading comprehension an issue for you? Of course I was comparing them, I was doing so to refute the simpleminded point of: no charges and/or charges dropped = innocence. Can you not follow that?

What I wasn’t doing, was saying they’re identical.

Let me make this as simple as possible for you, just because someone isn’t charged doesn’t necessarily mean they’re innocent. That’s the gist of my point.

And I was the one who was embarrassed? Lol

12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Lourdes Gurriel and the LHP the Yankmees dfad would complete this team.
    Dubon would be gone. Then you can actually find a decent trade for Meyers and Maton and still have the possibility to add Yuli back or Trade for a C or SP

13. cbass

cbass Member

I directly illustrated why your point of no charges = innocent is wrong, in fact.

14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Simply by bringing up other, unrelated cases that had different results? No, you didn’t.

Sorry everyone. I’m done with this subject. Not getting seriously challenged anyway.

15. cbass

cbass Member

You mean bringing up other cases that directly relate to the main point you’re trying to make? Those men are free and have the same rights as you and me. So, according to you, they must be innocent.

But sure, you’re not being seriously challenged. Good deal, big guy.

Merry Christmas

16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

A World Championship team built around being a close knit family with Dusty in the drivers seat isn't taking on the negative story's of Trevor Bauer. Crane and several players have all mentioned the family environment on the teams. There would have to be indisputable proof he was innocent before players with stroke sign off on him being here, most of these guys don't want answer questions about domestic violence on a team.

This is the statement I was originally responding to. I do not know anything about Trevor Bauer, I have not heard the story that has prompted all this discussion and if I ran across it I would simply skip it as something I have no interest in. I do have a great deal of interest in living among men of honor in a civil society. Men of honor are not willing to destroy a mans reputation on a rumor. The Idea of innocence until proven guilty did not start out as a legal standard, it started out as a decency standard that was codified into law to stop the spread of evil treatment of our fellows by thoughtless scoundrels. Every one of us has spent a lifetime building a reputation. The idea that it is OK to baselessly destroy it is indeed Vile and in many cases it is criminal.
    First of all it really was different in the old days. A lot of men died before libel laws modified their behavior and mostly it was considered to be justifiable. Read some history.
    Second of all, I am not talking about expressing an opinion here. Your opinion is your own and means no more than anyone else's. I am talking about willfully spreading lies (if you do not know it to be true but you assert it to be, it is a lie), apply a little logic.
    Third, I have no desire to kick anyone's ass. I have nothing to prove and no reason to expect you could interfere if I decided to do so. I am a little old crippled man but I got this way by spending my life learning and then teaching others how to control such situations. Not one of my students would bother getting in to a fight with anyone that they did not know to be a trained and worthy opponent that desired the contest for the sake of the sport not for anger.
    Finally I really enjoy Talking about baseball with you and every one else here and I would hate to think this crap could interfere with that. But I can not stand quietly by while an evil ideology is spread among us.

17. awc713

awc713 Member

18. cbass

cbass Member

Wow

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

1 and 1 yr team option prove it deal for $16m per. Get it done Baggy!

cbass likes this.
  20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Damn, man. This doesn’t feel like teams just backing out of a long deal just because. There has to be real concern regarding the leg with a multi year deal. Going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.