1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim McMahon: Rumor Harden might return to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 20, 2022.

1. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

If he comes here as a free agent, sure. But I don’t want to trade for him, we aren’t giving up any assets….not one!

Dobbizzle likes this.
  2. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Ironically, Harden’s return will benefit KPJ more than anyone else. He doesn’t have to play out of position and can just catch and shoot. If he’s open, Harden will find him. His efficiency will go way up.

Y2JT likes this.
  3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'd welcome him back, that being said I would only think he comes back if he actually wins a ring. If he fails he'd most likely at worst be a 6th/7th man somewhere on a contender.

4. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Morey and Pj Tucker too? Diantoni to replace Silas?

ROCK3TM4N and sirjesse like this.
  6. riko

riko Member

Harden will have a choice of teams that are ready to compete sooner and Harden will go there. Just the timeline makes no sense. Hell the lakers will have a max slot next season .

BallSoHarden likes this.
  7. Ancient Moabite

Indeed, alot of former NBA and just professional athletes in general love Houston due to the affordable house market and lovely females etc

RocketsDraftTV likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Don't believe the rumor, sounds totally made up with the caveats.

Doesn't even makes sense. If he wins with Philly, he's obviously going to stay for a repeat. If he loses, then he's going to try again or get traded to a team that will give up a great veteran piece which we don't have.

On our side, first of all he's still out of shape and his fitness is not acceptable. Second of all we don't need to pay a guy $40m to just pass and score when we're 2.5 seasons away from being able to win a second round series. I know some people are hard coded to be nostalgic and love these "come back home" stories because of how it's relevant to something in their childhood, but that's not worth saddling the organization with Harden's salary when we can be players in the open FA market as soon as these kids make the playoffs.

Harden is one of my favorite players of all time, easily the second best player in franchise history and I still root for him against everyone else but this is not a good idea unless we finish with 40 wins this season.

Y2JT, HP3, BallSoHarden and 2 others like this.
  9. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

10. Hesitation

Hesitation Member

Not this season and clearly not next season..but maybe in 2 years, when houston starts to compete.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No.

It's a hard pass for me.

"Hail Hydra" and daywalker02 like this.
  12. bmelo

bmelo Member

Team with worst defense and most ballhogging wants Harden… bruh…

13. bmelo

bmelo Member

Yall need to stop confusing shooting guards who can dribble with point guards. By the way first thing you learn as a point guard is that you have to be first back on defense lmao

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That would be logical thinking as Morey was a true friend and benefactor to him.

Right now he is in no shape to lead any blind dog to a championship or to the WCF.

But I guess people in here want to see Kevin Porter and Harden barking at each other.

And Harden and Green explaining why there was no energy in the game.

15. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Oh I see what you're doing. If we just pick who pgs are based on our feelings, we can exclude guards we don't like, even the best passer in the NBA. Genius.

harold bingo likes this.
  16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

One of the best passer in the league isn't considered a pg, okay dude.

harold bingo likes this.
  17. Rockets4Life13

I can see it.

I'd love it tbh. He's still a rockets legend and the reason I'm a rockets fan

RocketsDraftTV likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He’s not coming back unless this team puts together a contender overnight and he’s a supplementary player. I could see a Clippers Kawhi/PG situation where he signs at the same time as another player is traded for. Otherwise him being signed on this team as is makes no sense. He’d be miserable and want out after two games.

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Hell, as long as it's not at the max and doesn't hamper the rebuild then how could you not want him back? One of the best playmakers in the league, if he could play the vet PG role and work as a facilitator for the youngsters whilst redeeming himself for the way he left? I still got lots of #13 jerseys...

Y2JT likes this.
  20. MadMax94$

MadMax94$ Member

You don't have to like (and on some levels I don't necessarily love it) but it does make sense.

* Rockets will have more money than any other team this off-season which allows Harden to come home for probably his last big payday. He has player option at season's end to walk out of Philadelphia.

* He fills a position of need and still loves Houston

* There are not any marquee free agents available this off-season (Rockets must spend money on somebody)

* Picks began to convey to OKC the following off-season for dumb Westbrook trade and Rockets must win at all cost or risk gifting Thunder high lottery picks

* He can mentor the young guys (ala CP3 w/OKC & Phoenix) He is like a big brother to KPJ

Now I'm not overly excited about the free-agents available this summer. It could be debated about how the Rockets could be best served using the capspace. Rather signing a player like Myles Turner or taking on bad contracts in trade for more draft capital. However, again the Rockets are on the clock to do something soon.

Dobbizzle, Y2JT and OkayAyeReloaded like this.