1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Thats a lot of money for a third place team

RKREBORN likes this.
  2. htownbball

htownbball Member

Question. If we were to try to sign Framber and Tucker to deals, what would they look like? Each has 3 years of arbitration left. Framber will be a FA after his age 31 season and Tucker after his age 28 season.

3. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I'm gonna be dead if the Mets win 108 games and lose in the ALDS.​

4. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

As for Correa dude has a ++++++ arm he could play LF. Js.

5. RocketToVegas

RocketToVegas Member

Batting average? Really?? I just saw another post from you using advanced stats, so I know you can do better. Unless of course those stats don't fit your argument, which you seem hell bent on. By the way, I especially liked "...it was too late. He was ice cold." No stats needed for that, but the drama makes for top shelf reading! My unsolicited suggestions - start spelling Maldonado's name correctly, and accept that he was the perfect #1 catcher to lead our great pitching staff and World Series championship team, and let's now move the narrative focus to what is best for the Astros in 2023 & beyond. Cheers!

jiggyfly and Madmanmetz like this.
  6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

In extensions..
    5/150 for Framber
    6/180 for Tucker

Would put the Astros payroll at 74.5 mil + Arb in 2026 with Alvarez and McCullers locked in.

PiPdAdY33 likes this.
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Interesting exercise: FV - Field Value; AFV - Annual Field Value

Baseball Trade Values for the remaining Arbitration years:

Framber [FV 3 years $103.9M] {AFV $34.6M} (High Arb $82.5M)
    6 years $186.4M6 years

Tucker [FV 3 years $110.7M] {AFV $36.9M} (High Arb $99.2)
    6 years $209.9M

Javier 6 years $131.8 and too low IMHO

Simple and quick formula. (3 yrs Arb plus 3 years FV)

This is the starting point and has not been adjusted upward to reflect recent contracts (around $2M/yr higher and 2-3 years longer.) Extra years at AFV to age 35.

ps This is not an endorsement of the values estimated by Baseball Trade Values. It is simply an attempt to remove my own value biases.

#5507 Marshall Bryant, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    PiPdAdY33 likes this.
  8. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

1 Altuve (2B)
    2 Pena (SS)
    3 Alvarez (DH)
    4 Bregman (3B)
    5 Tucker (RF)
    6 Abreu (1B)
    7 Gallo (LF)
    8 Chas (CF)
    9 Maldy (C)

Would be a pretty strong defensive lineup. Never been a huge fan of Gallo but you do have to pitch him carefully, there always the possibility of a lot of damage when you have Bregman/Tucker/Abreu getting on in front of him. Plus the shift ban should add 10-20 Avg I think for Altuve/Bregman/Alvarez/Tucker already.

Leave a lot of room for deadline trades if needed.
    Wouldn't mind having Brantley or Yuli as a bench bat.

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I can't understand the insistence of listing Yordan as DH. He wants to play LF and he can play there. It is easier to find a DH than a legit LF regardless of where they played in the past.

But almost every proposal for next season's lineup put's Yordan at DH. Barring a trade that actually improves the team more than fractionally, I'd roll with Y Diaz/Hensley if Leon is Super U rather than Dubon.

Diaz does need to face facts concerning his value as C verses anywhere else and put his heart into it. Every time he balks, chant look at Contreras. If he can't do that, he won't fit in with the clubhouse work ethic.

#5509 Marshall Bryant, Dec 11, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    PiPdAdY33 and Jeremy Williams like this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He could. But I'd rather have him as a cutoff man at 3B. Yordon has a plus arm in LF. Tucker has a plus arm in RF. Bregman is still elite and I believe still would be at 2B. Altuve is still a Plus Plus hitter and would work as DH without losing value in the field.

And believe it or not, Pena is a better defender at SS than Correa.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Mentor. The words keep changing meanings and the language is corrupted. The Barber and Hair Dresser used to be the Groomers.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I wonder if the earlier back injury concerns the Rockies more than the foot injury?

Backs are notoriously difficult to predict when it comes to the effect on future productivity.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's about risk/reward. It's only a bailout if the price is too high for the acquiring team. The value equalizer can come in Dollars and/or players. He has a contract for 6 years which will pay him $158M and a current value (which includes potential recovery) of $53.9M. So a fair trade would have another $104.1M in value from the Rockies. The questions are whether the values are correct and the Teams' opinions on those values and team needs.

14. Jeremy Williams

I’ve already given advanced stats to show how deficient MaldOnado was in 2022. I was trying to keep this simple. It doesnt take much to understand Dusty played MaldOnado due to personal comfort and it had nothing to do with advanced statistics or anything to show that Vazquez is clearly the better catcher. Thanks for the spelling lesson, elementary teacher.

15. CinematicFusion

I’m sure they are both looking at this free agent spending frenzy

16. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

I have been beating this drum to no avail. These guys can't see the light. To them Maldanado is the horse whisperer of pitchers. Stats, advanced metrics, eyeball test means NOTHING!!! It's all about his, and only HIS, ability to handle these pitchers.

These were the same guys who loved Chucky Brown for his mega intangibles.

17. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Don't you know all our pitchers suck. It is only because of the lucky rabbit's foot Maldy they are any good. Without Maldy, Verlander will have a +5 ERA this year...

18. CinematicFusion

76 million in penalties and not bat an eye. Steve Cohen is worth 20 Billion.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. ktex

ktex Member

Patiently waiting for a reasonable, shrewd, and cost effective move.

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Because everyone that has watched him hit realizes he is going to badly foul a ball off his knee at least a dozen times during the season. Each time resulting in him being at DH for a week before he can go back to LF. Best laid plans and all of that...