1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WNBA player Britney Griner arrested in Russia: updated: wokes expected sellout crowd, nope lol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Mar 7, 2022.

?

her arrest was

1. political

23 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. legit, they don't smoke in russia

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read your comments. they do not contain evidence to support the statement I highlighted/

3. distence

distence Contributing Member

At least they got the rights to swap 2024, 2025, 2028 2nd rd picks!

Ubiquitin and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. basso

Supporting Member

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Would y’all have given up this arms dealer for the marine spy?

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Do you not know what Russia convicted Griner of? Smuggling narcotics. And it was more than just a vape pen.
    You are being intentionally disingenuous.

I used the charges both people were charged with.

Do you see how your words you use and how they are obviously charged with so much bias?

I can see you have too much emotion to discuss this cordially. The fact that you put Griner on a pedestal is a problem. Her race, sexuality or status shouldn’t matter.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  7. basso

Supporting Member

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You literally accused me of saying I'm quick to accuse him of espionage when that is what he is detained for and also shows your double standard in having suspicion about one charge and no suspicion about the other charge.

So you are the one implying one person might be innocent and the other isn't.

Also, when people use the term "drug smuggler" it usually implies smuggling for trade and not personal use. I don't know how much she had in her possession but we do know it was for personal use and not selling so yes you are trying to use words to paint her in some type of habitual criminal light of a drug smuggler when she just carried **** overseas for personal use.

9. fchowd0311

Okay I guess then we disagree. You can quote me and go point by point and explain why I guess.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe believe is the better term then.
    You insinuated he was certainly a spy, and she merely had some weed.
    The bias and tone is undeniable.
    I don’t believe either were guilty of what Russia charged them with.
    I believe Griner is more at fault, simply due to the fact she worked there half the year and should know the laws. She’s employed by a Russian company.
    I’m glad she’s home. But in no way should they have made a one for one swap with the two parties they did.

Would you have been ok with Whelan for Bout?

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

The health of Russian national Viktor Bout, sentenced to 25 years in prison in the United States, has seriously worsened recently, Ivan Melnikov, vice president of the Russian division of the International Human Rights Committee, told TASS on Tuesday.

"As Bout’s wife Alla told me, the exacerbation of some chronic diseases is seen as a result of the coronavirus infection he had and the lack of necessary medical care," Melnikov said.

According to him, based on the symptoms that Bout had reported to his wife over the phone, a dermatologist suggested the possibility of generalized herpes. "Against the background of weakened immunity and without the necessary diagnosis and therapy, this could lead to an even greater spread of the disease up to extremely severe forms, such as herpes meningitis, which threatens not only the health, but also the life of the patient," Melnikov stressed.

"In addition, he has a serious chronic disease - heart disease," he added.

Melnikov wrote a letter to US Attorney General Merrick Garland, urging measures to have Bout’s condition diagnosed and necessary treatment assigned.

this was back in July

I guess he’s doing better now?

12. fchowd0311

I'm biased for acknowledging that it's going to be easier to release someone charged with breaking drug possession laws vs someone who is charged with espionage?

I believe both probably are guilty of what they are charged with but one crime in the grand scheme of things is far more petty. I can understand a nation-state detaining a dude caught spying. It sentencing 8 years for drug charges is silly.

And it's this notion of personal responsibility that only applies to Griner but not Whelan that also irks me and tells me there is some deep seeded bias going on.

13. fchowd0311

Absolutely.

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

“Smuggle drugs” brings the connotation that she was a dealer, when it is clear she brought it for her own use. I do get that the technical definition of smuggling would encompass illegally bringing mj to Russia.

Let’s just not inadvertently create the false impression that she was a dealer. If she were, I don’t think anyone would have a bit of sympathy for her situation. At least not anyone with a brain.

And yes, I think it is possible and right to simultaneously believe that (1) she screwed up and should take personal responsibility for her actions, and (2) it’s ok to have sympathy for her situation.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

any American would be an absolute fool to travel to Russia ever again

Putin liable to make u the next Griner

body slam likes this.
  16. basso

Supporting Member

it's just like, your opinion, man.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You can have the opinion of whatever you’d like with “smuggling drugs”
    Russia charged and convicted her of illegal possession and drug smuggling. I didn’t say she was attempting to distribute or deal (separate charges)

Nor did I insinuate that. Just what she was charged with

18. fchowd0311

I understand. I just think you'll never actually engage in sincere conversation over the racial biases I've seen with the disproportionate hate that Griner gets.

She is the poster child of what the right hates and it's obvious.

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You might be conflating me with another. Or projecting.
    I said nothing of personal responsibility.

Griner was charged with illegal possession and attempted smuggling of narcotics.
    Whelan was charged with espionage.

Both, imo, are baseless.