1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yesterday....lol.....

DD

Easy likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont disagree, but with 99% negativity directed towards KPJ most of the time I'm going to celebrate these small anecdotal moments because the kid deserves some genuine support. You may be one of the more moderate observers who doubt the construct vs the skill so kudos for that. Lachard has been divisive himself in looking for Jabari haters and ruffling some feathers - its the way of the world today .. be as provocative as possible to generate discussion and clicks.

I dont know how many professionals you know in any field that became masters of their craft in the first 2-4 years? Consistency will be the key for all of these young players I agree. The goal will be for several of them to hit their prime at the same time and propel this team forward hopefully to some rings.

For your own mental health and chi maybe responding to the cherry picked stats is a waste of your own time? Just saying. I'm being honest that I'm going to continue to celebrate these meaningless moments because they will provide a breadcrumb trail in the future.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I predict that we will have a full year of stats soon that show KPJ is making good progress and is a really really good basketball player ;)

jiggyfly, D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

From the recent NBA power rankings on ESPN:

It's rough because he's probably our best one-on-one player, and at the end of games possessions almost always come down to a guy beating someone off the dribble. KPJ has been really bad at that, but what's our next best option?

The only one assist thing is a bummer, and adds support to the narrative that KPJ becomes a black hole when the game is on the line. But again... I don't know if we have any great options.

5. fckbandwagons

fckbandwagons Member

Bets and adults arguing on an Internet forum? Lmao! Clutchfans is the best!

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. DaDakota

Wanna bet?

DD

cmlmel77 likes this.
  7. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I think he's been playing better, but he's absolutely the worst lob passer I've seen so far in the NBA. His timing/angle/awareness is totally off for most of them, I mean he's overshooting JALEN GREEN for God's sake!

8. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

People here would get so pissed at Harden after he turned the ball over and wouldn't get back on defense. Where is the same energy for KPJ?
    After KPJ turns the ball over: 1) acts disgusted at himself or his teammate (or both), 2) stands around or slowly trots back on defense instead of hauling ass, even though he can easily try to stop ball if he tried, or at least try to contest/foul the transition bucket.

He may have matured off the court, but on the court he is still so damn immature and undisciplined. If ever he can become more mature about handling mistakes (whether it's his fault or someone else's), it would go a long way to helping him become a better player.

Roomba, King1, Rockets4Life13 and 4 others like this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Yeah, his body language is absolutely atrocious. I'd hate to play with someone like him.

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There are very scenarios, maybe just one or two, where I could see a future role here for KPJ.

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

KPJ refuses to pass it to Sengun on the roll when he's open and it just doesnt make any sense. He does very easily with Fernando but with Snegun he almost always forces up a shot instead.

Aruba77, Ankara1923 and berkowsk like this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ is a magic 8 ball on every play. You just have no idea whether he's going to do something brilliant, or something stupid.

His brilliances makes you love him and get excited. His bone-headedness makes you groan and wish he was a sixth man.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad you found that! I still can't believe ALL the hate for KPJ. I thought he played well last night. The pick and roll between him and the bigs were awesome!

But if you look at the poston here from last night and today, you would have thought KPJ had 10 turnovers and the Rockets lost.

The Sun's postgame announcers praised KPJ and Jalen, which I thought they should've, both players played great.

KingSamJack likes this.
  15. Downtown Sniper

Hahaha no, only 6 turnovers! So since it's not 10 that's perfectly fine.

Another poor shooting game.

Another horrendous game with his decision making.

My personal favourite was losing the ball in the backcourt and then letting the other team pick it up and not even bother to turn around to try to defend. Or actually it might've been his alley oop to the guy sitting in the 13th row.

Actually it might've been when he was arguing with the ref mid-play - with his back to the defender and completely oblivious to where they were (just lucky the defender didn't press him) not that it mattered... because he then dribbled some more and then threw the ball to no one right down the other end of the court.

Actually it might've been the play where he tried to throw the game away by giving it right back to the Suns at the death.

PlAyEd WeLl.

Another game with disgusting body language. Sometimes I really do wonder whether people actually know who KPJ is on the court because they must be thinking he's someone else to claim he plays well.

16. DaDakota

Haters will nitpick everything wrong and ignore the good, it helps them believe in their narrative.

KPJ is up and down like most good young players.

we won!

DD

hlmbasketball and Plowman like this.
  17. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

And just last year the sun announcers were **** talking KPJ and Jalen.

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Out of ALL the bad things you pointed out, you never said anything about the shots he made, the free throws he made going down the stretch, the rebounding and playmaking with Bruno and Sengun.

I pinpointed in a different thread how KPJ reminds me of a young MR BIG SHOT, Chauncey Billups. He struggled early on in his career, because he was a tweener but became a Championship PG. There are very few CP3's in the league and way more Steph Curry's and Kyrie Irving's.

Fans are goinng to always complain, especially those who NEVER played.

jiggyfly, DaDakota and Plowman like this.
  19. Downtown Sniper

Ironic you cap locked never. While talking to a guy who has played at all levels.

You didn't need to reaffirm you don't know much, but you did.

Did Billups just wake up with exponentially more IQ one night at some point in his career? If he did, ok sure I see your comparison maybe kpj might get some one morning too just randomly. Otherwise. Just. Lol.

clutchdabear and King1 like this.
  20. Downtown Sniper