1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who’s your 1B choice?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by whiskeyred, Nov 14, 2022.

?

Who’s your 1B choice?

1. Anthony Rizzo

34 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Josh Bell

15 vote(s)
    8.4%
  3. Yuli Gurriel

35 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. Jose Abreu

86 vote(s)
    48.3%
  5. Other

8 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Two years with a club option on the third. First two years are $17M/year. If the Yanks decline the third year option, then they pay $6M. So Rizzo is guaranteed $40M over two years. His third year option would be $17M if the Yanks exercise it.

No thanks. Would rather use that money on something else, Brantley, extending Framber, Cristian, etc.

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I said the 2nd thing there but not the first.
    Your reading comprehension and redundancy are the true sources of my irritation.

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I would like an Abreu/Yulu combo. Abreu for 2 years and Yuli for 1.

4. jayfree

jayfree Member

Still trying to get personal. I almost like it. Good stuff!

5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I’m all for giving Yuli another year, just not as the starting 1st baseman.

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

No not really. I clearly said, even with his playoff performance we can’t go into next season with Yuli as our starting 1st baseman. Your response was “playoff yuli says hi”.

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

Yeah.... with a smiley face wink ;)
    It's cool brother. No harm done.

8. rugg31

rugg31 Member

Can any of the minor league standout bats potentially play 1st at all? I’m not someone who thinks just anybody can play 1st but curious if we even have a possibility.

With the roster the Astros have I wouldn’t spend just to spend leaving flexibility to make a move in season and be able to take on a contract. For me, outside of Bell I’m not that interested in Abreu. I’d like Yuli to stay with the team but not as an everyday player.

9. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Would you prefer....
    Abreu or Bell and Gurriel backup. Might be too much money tied into 1B
    Or
    Brandon Drury and Gurriel split tandem. Drury not as good as Abreu or Bell but cheaper. Although not sure how good he's at 1B. And when Gurriel is playing, Drury can play 3B,SS,2B or corner OF if someone needs a break. Looks like he played majority at 3B (60 games or so), 1B and 2B (around 25 to 30 games each), SS(only 2 games) and RF(1 game). Because Drury and Gurriel shouldn't cost too much. Put money towards something else???

10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

No reason not to believe that .243 8 hr was anything more than a fluke. It sticks out like a sore thumb from his career. Perhaps the fluke was caused by a sore thumb that he got over in time for the play-offs. What would be stupid would be to assume you know what you do not know.

jayfree likes this.
  11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

he is 39. Not 29. I’m sure I know as much as you do. We need a first baseman.

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

first base is where we can net the biggest improvement. It was our only glaring weakness (cf is a weak spot but not as bad). Of course we address 1b. I don’t want a platoon with Gurriel. We need a hitter over there, playing every day.

Wulaw Horn and punkoholic like this.
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

CF isn’t a weakness except when Dubon (or a gimpy meyers) plays there. Chas has like a 110 OPS+ and the defensive numbers say he’s just fine in CF. Abreu then Bell in that order. No stupid trades for lesser guys than those when we can just sign quality FA for reasonable money and no 39 YO Yuli.

Tomstro likes this.
  14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

That is two things you can not possibly know that you are sure of in a very short conversation. What would be stupid would be to assume you know what you do not know. Seems to be a pattern developing here.

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I agree that we are good enough in CF especially if we get a good hitter at 1b. I actually believe that Meyers will be better as he was still injured or at least mentally not over the injury this season. I would be fine with Chas opening day though. Both he and Meyers must cut down their K’s.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Actually, you are the one who challenged my knowledge first. So that was you pretending to know something that you don’t, not me. We do need a first baseman. One look at Yuli’s #’s says that on its own. So, I’m not talking out of my ass there either.

17. HTM

HTM Member

I think Yuli's eyes are going. Happy to have him as a platoon player but I don't think you can rely on him as an everyday player/bat for another championship run. Happy he had such a nice post season but I wouldn't take that too far regarding evidence he will be good next year.

18. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

So I was bored and decided to delve into this very non-scientifically.

I took the three year averages for these and also include Christian Walker as an option (done before Rizzo re-signed with NYY). I then ranked the 5 individuals in all three categories.

I did the same thing (same time periods) for HR%, SO%, BB%, and HH Rate.

For all 7 categoiries I also gave a 1, 0, or -1 to the total based on how each player was trending over that period in those categories. Negative being they are improving.

I also did a ranking for age and bat hand. Walker and Rizzo also got a 1 added to their totals since they would require compensation to aquire.

After adding everything up this is how it stacked up.

Numbers are in this order: WAR Ranking, WAR trend, Age & Batt Rank, Percent Rank, Percent Trend, Comp Adj, Total Score (Lower the better). Again, for trend a negative number is trending in the right direction.

1. Bell: 9, -1, 2, 8, 0, 0, 18
    2. Abreu: 6, -2, 8, 13, -2, 0, 23
    3. Walker: 9, -3, 6, 14, -2, 1, 25
    4. Rizzo: 10, 3, 5, 9, -2, 1, 26
    5. Gurriel: 11, 3, 9, 16, 4, 0, 43

The "clear winner" is Bell, with 3 others close to him and even closer to each other. The only one clearly not aligned in the grouping is Yuli.

Bell
    Bell's WAR ranking were second only to Abreu, but he was last in DWar. That being said, his DWar isn't far off from Abreu and Rizzo but pales to Yuli and especially Walker (each with a Gold Glove in the past two years). His WAR trends were steady, except for DWar which was improving. Bell did very well with the Percentage categories, leading in BB% (12%) and being 2nd in HR (4.47%) and HH (47.8), he was 3rd in SO% (17.63%). He is trending up in SO% and BB% and down in HR% and HH%. He is also a switch hitter and the youngest. Also, not factored in, I think he would be the cheapest and is from Texas.

Abreu
    He gets dinged for being second oldest and RH. His defense is only better than Bell, but his WAR and % are very good and suprisingly his trends are going in the right direction.

Walker
    He is pretty much the opposite of Abreu, great defensively but on the lower end offensively. He is the second youngest but RH. His trends are all over the place. 2019 was generally a decent year for him, 2021 was not, but then he rebounded this year in almost every category so his trends are a little hard to measure, but in general they look to be improving.

Rizzo
    He was towards the bottom in all the WARs but at the top in percentages. His % trends were all pretty good and going in the right direction but his WARs trend badly. He does get dinged for RH and compensation. There is also an injury question but I didn't factor that in as I don't know injuries for the others.

Gurriel
    He pretty much finished last or next to last in all of the WARs, except Defense (2nd to Walker, still negative though). All of them including defense trended down. Percentages weren't much better, though he was the hardest to strike out (11.43%) and that is actually trending up. The others are trending in the wrong direction. He of course is the oldest and that doesn't help either. He is also obviously the only one that I couldn't see being used as a DH or PH. I question his ablility to play other IF positions as well.

So I voted for Bell, but could easily be swayed to any of the others except Yuli.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

I ranked them non-scientifically based on championships alone. Ironically it flipped the order.

1. Gurriel
    2. Rizzo
    5. Walker, Abreu, and Bell

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The only thing Bell got is age, but he will also require the longest commitment. I want Abreu because besides age and lower homeruns last season, he's been a stud. He will also only require a 2 year commitment.