1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Magic Fans in for Rude Awakening

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doctor Robert, Jul 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Magic Coach Promises Uptempo Style
    This is not meant to be a slam of Francis and Mobley, because I enjoyed watching them play for years.... but there is no way the Magic will be uptempo next year.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The rude awakening will come when the run their first fast break.

And then they attempt their 2nd fast break.

And then their 3rd...

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Uptempo does NOT mean they have to be great fast breaking guards, all they gotta do is push the ball and throw up some quick shots, no tall order for anybody in the NBA. The Magic have the talent on offense to do that, I'd bet their offense scores more than the Rockets did last season.

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Like who? All they have is Francis, Cat, Gooden and an unproven Howard. How is that going to get them 90+ points a game?

5. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Contrary to what their new coach implied in the article, the Magic weren't "boring to watch" last year because Lue and T-Mac didn't push the ball. They were boring because they sucked.

6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I don't begrudge them. We were a good team in need of a great player. They were a bad team in need of good players to give their fans something exciting to watch. I hope we both got what we wanted.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

A large portion of the uptempo style of play is the fast break.

Cat and Francis have no clue how to run a fast break.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Uptempo starts with the boards. Does the magic have a better rebounder than Stevie? How about other than Stevie?

9. JumpMan

The Magic had talent last season on offense, much more than the Rockets, their problem was defense, nobody played any of it. Stevenson, Garrity, Hedo, Hill, Nelson, and Bogans could all score, scoring won't be a problem for those guys, wasn't last year.

10. nene

nene Contributing Member

We are starting to hate.

Move on people it's over.

We need to be worrying if Yao is going to live up to his end of the deal. Controlling the middle.

And we still need a few more shooters on this team or we may be the Magic of the west even with TMac.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What do you mean "attempt"? Most of the time Steve just walks it up the floor!

12. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

and dribbles off his foot

13. Man

Man Contributing Member

Hmm..that happens to me. :p
    Isn't this thread about the same article as "Comments on ..." Or one is from Yahoo while the other is from Orlando Sentinel.
    I hope the Magic get what they want and are exciting...I can imagine that..
    But it's all about the Rockets!!

14. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

Aw man. Did these guys not watch any tape of Van Gundy screaming his lungs out for Francis to run the ball up the court - all the while Stevie's just kinda jogging like he's got a 3 minute shot clock to work with?

15. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I can't wait for Orland to be a 4th or 5th seed in the East and at least make it to the 2nd round and improve drastically so tha haters will move on and quit bashing these guys who busted their assssssssses for us for 5 or more years. I also hope the Rockets will be at least a 4th or 5th seed and at the very least make it to the 2nd round or better or else this was a worthless trade.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that wouldn't make this trade worthless. the rockets have put together two very good players to build around for a few years to come. don't judge the success of this trade by this coming season's performance. nor should you judge it juxtaposed to a conference where a combined team of cub scouts and florida retirees could find their way into the playoffs.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IMO this trade needs to bear fruit in 2 yrs

Rocket River
    this is JVGs make or break year to me
    he has practically a rebuilt team to his specs

18. JumpMan

I do think the Magic will do fine with their team, I actually think Francis will win more games than McGrady ever won with the Magic. But worthless trade? No. The way I see it the Rockets were an All Star away from being a championship contender with Francis and Yao, now they're a group of good role players away from being a contender.

19. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

well they will have to win their division to be a top 4 ceed (with Detroit, Indana, and NJ)

...and I can think of one person who doesn't think the Magic will win their division next year

[​IMG]

20. LHutz

LHutz Member

[qote
    OH NO he doesnot get that long!!! Jeremy Glanville said it best about you know what the NBA stands for!!!

Huh?

Right.

Not For Long

then he said some other stuff DUKE dosn't remember. Van Grundy has to WIN THE NBA title this year or fire.