1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think our great offensive rebounding so far this season is sustainable?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HamJam, Nov 7, 2022.

?

Do you think our great offensive rebounding so far this season is sustainable?

Poll closed Nov 14, 2022.
  1. Yes

90.9%
  2. No

9.1%
  1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

So far this season the Rockets are one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the league. Not only do we lead the league in offensive rebounds per game (13.9), we are also second in the league in offensive rebounding percentage (29.1%) -- so it isn't simply a function of us missing so many shots (which we are), but also that we are grabbing a very large percentage of those misses.

Right now our offensive rebounding is really keeping the score a lot closer than you'd expect, because without those, our offense has been completely inept, with the second lowest true shooting percentage, the worst fg%, the second fewest assists in the league, and the third most turnovers in the league. As a result, a really large percentage of our high percentage shots (open layups and open spot up threes) are coming off of offensive rebounds.

So, do you think our offensive rebounding so far is something we'll be able to maintain? Because, if it isn't and teams start adjusting for it successfully, the bottom might REALLY fall out on our already trash fire of an offense.

2. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

If our shot % is still this bad and chuckers give more push while shooting afree their isos shots would bounce back of the rim so while our hustle guys are boxing out the defenders chuckers could get more off. rebs.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes but it is KILLING our chance to win.

We have everyone crashing the offensive glass and when we don't get it they get a fast break of 4 on 1 or 2.....everyone offensive rebounding is killing our transition D and team.

DD

4. Risingred

Risingred Member

Of course, we have so many dogs on our team. The only problem is nobody let the dogs out (with horrifying rotations).

Ankara1923 likes this.
  5. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

This is what I'm seeing. Two or three players staying to try for the offensive rebound means we don't have guys getting back on defense if the opponent grabs the ball and pushes the fast break.
    I guess the question is, does 2nd chance points from off rebounds outweigh opp points in transition?

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

We miss a lot of shots so there’s a lot of rebounds to be had…

7. HamJam

"we are also second in the league in offensive rebounding percentage (29.1%) -- so it isn't simply a function of us missing so many shots (which we are), but also that we are grabbing a very large percentage of those misses"

Kevooooo likes this.
  8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Guards should almost always be getting back. No problem with forwards and center going for the offensive boards. But you’re right, whoever is last man back needs to get back on defense regardless of who they’re assigned to on defense. And green and co can’t stop and pause for photos after taking tough shots. We get it. It was nice. Way to give up 2 easy ones on the other end while you got your glamor shots at the mall.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Didn’t read before posting — it was more of a joke/ribbing at our team’s poor and inconsistent shooting.

HamJam likes this.
  10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I guess there are a few reasons:

1) When we are this bad, the opposing teams are less concentrated on defense, knowing they will beat us anyway.
    2) Tari, KMJ, Sengun has good instincts on offensive boards, do hustle plays. Sengun also takes the rebound for his own miss from close range.
    3) the team doesn't give a **** about transition defense, should be a coach's mistake

11. HamJam

I definitely agree this is happening. It is why I worry that the offensive rebounding isn't sustainable long term, and that the worst of our offense under Silas is yet to come. There's no stats to prove it, but that's what I'm seeing watching the games.

2 and 3 area also definitely a factor too. But, on 2, don't forget to include Garuba as a great offensive rebounder.

12. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

oh yes. how did i miss Garuba. His deflections and steals are so impressive that I think i coded him with those in my head.