1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. dmoneybangbang

It’s still very early. It’s just all the weaknesses that were discussed pre draft are happening now in real time.

BigShasta and Yung-T like this.
  2. Spooner

Spooner Member

Please tell me how Auburn used Jabari. It’s as if you’ve never seen either of these players play before they entered the NBA. You seem to be under the assumption that every player is capable of the same things. This has to be trolling.

It’s not even as if Jabari doesn’t have opportunity. He shoots 12 shots per game to Paolo’s 17. The difference is, Paolo actually converts on his attempts. Jabari is shooting an abysmal .303 from floor. Paolo is currently shooting .444. Paolo is shooting a much higher percentage on a higher volume of shots. Jabari would literally have to make all 5 extra shots that Paolo is given every night to even match his point total and I don’t see that in a guy who shoots .303 from the floor and even still, his efficiency would be worse.

The magic have more talent and ball handlers than you might realize. Last I checked it is the Rockets not the Magic who hold the worst record. You can go back to the Banchero thread this summmer where I explicitly said ad nauseam that if we were to draft Jabari, no one is going to get him looks on this team. Turns out I was right. Banchero could have been used as a front court playmaker for our backcourt who excelled off ball. Jabari just doesn’t have that skill set and I think deep down you know that it is the truth.

You don’t just throw rookies into situations they cannot handle. That is how you ruin confidence and careers. Paolo has been a point guard since he was in middle school. Find me one instance of Jabari even bringing the ball up at any level of play. But you want to put a rookie in a position to do things he’s never done before in his life while going against the highest level of competition. Not only do you think it won’t end in a disaster, you think he will magically have Paolo’s skill set and put up the same numbers. The coaching staff is really what’s making him shoot horribly and not able to dribble right?

I have more faith in Jabari than most at this juncture, but he needs to show more on defense at the very least. You might want to go back and check out some highschool/college tape on those guys because frankly you are embarrassing yourself.

3. Spooner

Spooner Member

But I was told all summer that he’s instantly Klay Thompson. Finishing at the rim wouldn’t be as much of an issue because of the spacing and his defense would be elite from day 1. Not that I believed any of that nonsense but many did and it’s remarkably easy to see. I always equated Jabari to Deandre Hunter who had similar hype as a 3 and D prospect. (He actually shot better from 3 and won college DPOY) My ceiling was a taller Mikal Bridges and everyone balked at me. What’s so bad about a perrenial dpoy candidate who shoots over 40% from 3? Isn’t that ideally what we wanted from Jabari? Would people be happy with Jabari turning into Mkal Bridges now?

4. Spooner

Spooner Member

5. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Bari would look a lot better with a real PG, better guard play and discipline across the board.

Little Bit and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Neither Mikal nor Hunter are 6'11 power forwards. 3 and D wings are dime are a dozen. 6'11 3 and D players currently don't really exist, especially ones that could theoretically guard 4 positions and shoot lights out from 3.

I think his defense has been promising, he's just still a bit soft, but the instincts and footspeed is all there. The real problem is the jump shot. Whether he gets it back is what will make or break Jabari.

In the modern NBA you are an automatic winning piece if you are a big men who can shoot lights out from 3 and also anchor a defense. It throws the other team way off.

the problem isn't whether Jabari can do other things, it's more can Jabari do what he was promised to be

7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I know patience isn't a big thing with young players, but players need years to develop. Like Green last year, I'll revisit his progress at the end of the season and his development by the end of his rookie contract. Even then it can take 5-8 years for some players to become stars,

Just work on your game long-term, body, learn/watch film, and get better day-to-day Jabari.

Believe It! likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And we are running NO actions to help get him to his good spots.

DD

persian hoopa and Believe It! like this.
  9. Spooner

Spooner Member

I think Jabari will do it in time. There definitely things to be encouraged about. Both Hunter and Bridges were picked in the same range as Jabari for a reason. I think Hunter has been too limited by injuries to really come into his own yet and Bridges is a perennial Dpoy candidate who shoots 40% from deep. That’s the kind of role I thought we wanted for Jabari. My initial assertion was a 6’10 (he was 6’10 at the time) Mikal Bridges which is extremely valuable. People didn’t find that good enough at the time.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Rockets4Life13

Got it, i know you're generally not one to overreact so i was surprised but this fits better.

I'm not worried about Jabari either. Most big men suck in the beginning it's really not that unusual.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

The sad fact of the matter is that even there you're probably being too generous. sigh!

12. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

And people were comparing Green to Corey Brewer and now you’re talking about Jabari could at least be Channing Frye? LOL He blows him out the water with his defense alone which Channing Frye never played a lick of. You guys are unbelievable.

glynch likes this.
  13. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

During draft, a lot of people just believed that his 3pt percentage would automatically translate in nba. It hasnt. Is that normal for someone who shot so well in college? I undetstand that nba 3pt range is a bit longer but still his shooting % has been very bad so far :-(

PeterKingX likes this.
  14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I meant even if he’s a complete flop. He’s NOT going to be a complete flop. He’s not the type of player who will potentially have no value if he doesn’t become the best version of himself.

So chill out.

15. i3artow i3aller

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

These two guys were a bit all over the place. The logic of "Sengun clogs the lane for KPJ" doesn't make much sense to me. Sengun is by far the superior player.

RudyTBag and LeDakota like this.
  17. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

I don't believe they have watched any Rox games this season but just make some conclusions from hearsays.

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Nooo, KPJ is decent. If they get a coach with an actual game plan that can involve every player, they will be better.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What clogs the lane for KPJ is KPJ's inability to do drive and kick. If he could kick out to the corner shooters, defenders wouldn't sag off to crowd the lane. Sengun's man would have to help and he could dump it to Sengun for easy layup.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He plays Paolo tonight; hopefully he can prove himself tonight just a bit

AroundTheWorld likes this.