1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] World Series Phillies vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

He's due

htownrox1 and count_dough-ku like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

crapshoot at DH anyway. It's his turn to get first crack

whiskeyred likes this.
  3. RussE

RussE Member

And then some.

Checking Will Smith…team option 2023….that ain’t happening. Also, he went to the same college I did….Gulf Coast in Panama City, Fl.:)

4. mightybosstone

I'd like to see him pitch better early, though. In that Yankees start, those first two innings were rough. Once he started really hitting his spots, he dominated. If he could just find his rhythym and command early, that'd be phenomenal. We'll learn a lot in that first inning...

everyday eddie likes this.
  5. jayfree

jayfree Member

Remember last year when the Astros started Urquidy and Garcia 3 times in the World Series?

No Verlander... no McCullers... Javier didn't start

Yeah, this year feels better!

6. mightybosstone

I'm just hoping for better at bats from him and fewer 0-2 counts. He doesn't need to tear the cover off the ball, but take more pitches, get the occasional walk and have productive outs. Game 3 against New York was a good example of that. The occasional base hit wouldn't hurt, though.

RussE likes this.
  7. RussE

RussE Member

Nola last start…vs. SD.

4 2/3 innings.
    7 hits.
    6 runs.

Somebody can hit him.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

wasn't that rough at all. Jv got the first batters Torres/Judge out. Rizzo who everyrone knows crowds the plate gets hit. stanton should have been out but fielding error by tuve. Strikes out Donaldson. End of 1st.

strike out carp, solo shot from Bader, kiner single, trevino pop out, torres pop out. End of 2nd

everyday eddie and Bregatron like this.
  9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Let’s gooooooooooooooooo.

10. mightybosstone

Assume for a second we're talking about the same JV we saw in the regular season. If he'd had four base runners (including a homer and HBP) and he was sitting at 40+ pitches through two innings in the regular season, we'd say that's a rough start for him. But, also, if he had kept up that pace, he would have been lucky to make it through five. His command wasn't as strong, and his pitch count was suffering. That's what I'm talking about when I say "rough"—but a rough outing for Verlander and your average pitcher are two very different things. He's graded on a curve.

He obviously was much more efficient the rest of the game, but I'd like to see him be that efficient earlier. He's going to give up baserunners. but avoiding innings with 20+ pitches and multiple baserunners is what I'm looking for.

11. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I think our toughest opponent was Seattle.

J_Hunter_1977, King1 and Plowman like this.
  12. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I did not think it was possible to want this title more than 2017. But here we are.

13. worldlyman

worldlyman Member

Some very concerning trivia regarding the 2022 World Series...if one is superstitious.

Only THREE times in MLB playoff history has a team come from behind more than 7 runs:
    1929 Philadelphia Athletics
    2008 Boston Red Sox
    2022 Seattle Mariners

(Catastrophic stock market crashes took place in '29 and '08...how will it shake out for the remainder of 2022?)

Notice who WON it all during those seasons:
    1929 Philadelphia Athletics
    2008 Philadelphia Phillies
    2022 ??

Seems kind of funky and disheartening.

Regardless, Go 'stros! Maybe it's all just coincidences...

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

everyone wishes for the perfect least amount of pitches outing in a perfect world. that's not how it really works though. this is the postseason and your aces are going to get the best of all they face. when it comes to JV's last outing that was just as good as it gets

15. Stros66

Stros66 Member

Yuli and her
    Yuli and Bregman are hitting better and are healthy than last year.

Stephen66 likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

Less than 3 hours and I feel like vomiting mom's spaghetti.
    "It's ok to be nervous as long as you're not scared." - Dusty via that time he hung out with Scipio from the Punic war back in the day.-

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  17. red

red Contributing Member

At the airport on my way to Houston. Astros in 4.

Stephen66 likes this.
  18. mightybosstone

OK. I think we're just arguing semantics here, though. I don't disagree that the postseason is different and more challenging—that's a bit of a strawman argument. Bottom line, that was an ace-level outing and he was dominant, but he could have started stronger. I'd like to see fewer baserunners and pitchers the first time through the order tonight; that's a reasonable request.

19. HTM

HTM Member

C u nerdz at the game

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Getting ready to head to by MMP. Feeling pumped. At the meeting I was at this afternoon the Head of the company I was meeting with was wearing a Stros jersey! Not something you see in Minnesota!

Stephen66 likes this.