1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And Jabari is shootings 30% from everywhere at 19 what's your point?

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Are posters actually changing their vote to NO based on 3 games? SMH

3. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It's normal for people to update their beliefs when they are presented with new information. Jabari has looked like a deer in the headlights thus far, and the issues he had in summer league are even more apparent.

Maybe we'll see a Green-esque mid season recovery, but those tend to be pretty rare. Also, Green clearly had the tools to be great from his first game. Jabari isnt going to suddenly develop a better handle half way through the NBA season.

Maybe he takes a kawhi/gannis type leap in the off season and develops a handle/interior presence. You never know with a guy that talented, but right now, I'm just hoping for serviceable 3&D type stuff.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That being 19 and just barely scratching teh surface of the beginning of your NBA career is a valid excuse for shooting badly in your first few games, even Banchero has it, because he too is shooting badly.

The age excuse does not, in fact, need to stop. It needs to continue.

Hakeemtheking and DaDakota like this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Many draft expert thought Jabari will be a great player but they warned he might have a problem his rookie year if the Rockets draft him because Jabari needs a point guard to give him the ball at certain spots on the court and a good coach to tell if your outside shooting is off, we need you to drive to the basket and post up small players. He is going to be a great shooter, he reminds of a taller Klay Thompson. Thompson was a great outside shooter and he is now a great NBA shooter. Jabari is a great shooter but he needs to be a good scorer….he needs to drive to the basket and post up and lean toward the basket so he can get foul shots. Bancheros has a lot of foul shots but Jabari has been very limited during his short professional season, I hope Coach Lucas talk to him to get him going. Jabari should be averaging 18-20 points a game, 8 rebounds and 1.5 block shots.

clos4life likes this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

So you’re saying it’s ok to vote YES and NO throughout the season? And Jabari won’t be good?

What happened to picking a side and being ok with being wrong? p*****s!

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL you have no shame.

That's not what you meant at all.

8. SamFisher

It is precisely what I meant; you brought up Banchero for an example as to how 19 year old players step in and dominate - he's not exactly dominating. He had one good game vs. Detroit and then 2 mediocre to bad ones, particularly from a shooting standpoint. This is exactly what you'd expect! he's 19. It's a valid excuse and I have no doubt he will improve as the season and years go on.

If you don't like it, find a better example of a 19-year old first 3 game dominator to make your "no excuse!" pitch about.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

After Banchero I wanted Jaden Ivey. Not mad with Bari but he was projected to be a limited 3 and D player from the get-go. Banchero is looking like the real deal and caught alot of slander for no reason.

I kept telling these nerds that the ringers are frauds but they're subscribed to their newsletter and what-not. Hopefully this humbles the dumbasses from now on.

Erbnwarfare and jiggyfly like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We are drafting CHILDREN, they aren't going to be full players until 23-25 years old......that is just the way it is.

DD

11. SamFisher

Remember last year when Green put 30 on the Celtics in game 3 and then sucked for 2 months - that's just the way it goes, even though the Take-based economy functions differently.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I love what I've seen out of Jabari so far. Would still take him over Banchero and anyone else in this draft. Banchero is already fully developed for his size. Jabari has the frame to become a Giannis one day, and even if his offensive game doesn't pan out you're already starting off with a human with the potential to become the best defensive player in the league as well as a knockdown shooter. Mobley doesn't have that; his lower legs are spindly like Chet's, and his center of gravity is too high. He's compensated and become a fantastic defender through extremely good footwork, but those things are all teachable. What Jabari has is not.

We could only have taken one between Jalen, Mobley, and Barnes, and I think we took the right one. We could only have taken one between Jabari, Ivey, and all the rest, and again I think we took the right one. Just imagine the ideal big man you'd want to play next to a Jalen Green. We lucked out big-time.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

I still think we got the third best player* in the draft, which isn't a knock on Jabari. All that "consensus #1 pick" was misleading and comical since the consensus first pick went third..... I was initially high on Jabari early in college but his one dimensional offense was a big turn off in the end. I thought he would struggle his rookie season just because of where the Rockets are in the rebuild. I think he will be fine, but I don't think anyone should expect top 3 ROY voting for him. Realistically, he still seems to be a 3rd best player on a contender, but he could easily be 2nd best player if the shooting and defense is elite.

*Chet has been out but I think his overall game is better.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They need to get him the ball more, but that's coaching

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I totally understand the big point you are making.
    However, we do need to let reality check us. Taking Banchero or Holmgren were not options anyway

We had pick 3 and lots of guards.
    To me it was Smith or Murray as the only real options, and Smith has more room to grow (even though Murray could be a really nice player)

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Get him the ball more next year, or after the ASB
    Just let him run around and get 13 and 6 this year while working on his game

17. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Asinine

18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Why are people so one dimensional? How is age and relative experience not considered. So many beat drums for obvious questionables, but want to beat down a kid after 3. Continue... It's very joke worthy. Such a class act they are.

19. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

This was the same with me Banchero,or trade back and get Ivey

20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

DB's gonna DB. Most remind me of the wannaB bullys in HS that cowered when confronted. Ish is funny and a bit pathetic.