1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Paolo Banchero as a ORL Magic thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 26, 2022.

1. mario_v

mario_v Member

Jabari was the heavy favorite to be drafted number 1. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the odds suddenly changed soon after that photo was posted on social media and Christian wood was traded.

I had a bad feeling Orlando was drafting Banchero when that photo was posted. I think I was the only one that criticized stone for tipping his hand early.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

who knows what stone also said in that lunch meeting. he probably told ranchero rox secrets and plans for the next 10 years.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't get this. Tipping his hand how? They had the 3rd pick. Or was it a case where everybody thought "Man, that Rafael is a genius. We should take whoever we think he's gonna take 2 spots after us and ignore what we think!"? Help me understand.

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

Jabari was the consensus number 1 overall pick. Orlando gave every indication to Jabari that they were going to draft him. They never once interviewed or worked out Banchero.

I think Orlando knew how bullish stone/rockets were on Banchero that it made Orlando second guess their decision to draft Jabari.

KingSamJack, hakeem94 and Jontro like this.
  5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Except Collins was baking him

hakeem94 and Jontro like this.
  6. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

Even if I assume that Orlando second gussed their decision,I just have hard time believing that another organization would trust Rockets assessment of player more than theirs for #1 pick. It is not like Stone has track record of Jerry West of drafting superstars...

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I was on the Paolo bandwagon before the season and I am still there now. Dude will be an all-star. The only „problem“ is, he is a player that needs the ball in his hands - just as most superstars do. That means it is a little more difficult to pair him up with other superstars. Not impossible though - Paolo will be a very nice player for a long time.

Smith is a very nice consolation price. He can play alongside every other player/star in the NBA easy because of his skillset. He makes the team building aspect easy for any GM and seems to be a piece, that every other team craves. Let‘s just hope that both players (and Chet) reach their potential!

dobro1229 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Jabari didn't even go #2, so to say he was consensus #1 - maybe that's what everybody not actually picking players thought. I'd rather believe Orlando changed their minds or maybe they were thinking the Rockets wanted Jabari all along and wanted to see if the Rockets would trade up. Or maybe they wanted to see if the Thunder would trade up because maybe they wanted Jabari. If they wanted Paolo no matter what, why would they work him out and blow their cover?

The fact is, we may never know. There are several possibilities here. The Rockets were going to get whatever was left over at #3, so they could be bullish on anybody they wanted and it wouldn't matter since the Magic were in the driver's seat.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Paolo did snub the Magic for a workout when they requested. The Orlando Magic had already brought in both Jabari and Chet for personal workouts. Had a news conference for the Jabari workout. Saw both of those guys up close. Talked with them and they still ended up drafting Paolo Banchero #1 based on scouting film. That should say it all. I dont think its some 11th hour switcharoo - Paolo Banchero WAS the best prospect in that draft and it wasnt particularly close. I'd bet any team at 1 would have gone Banchero - well maybe not OKC they were head over heels for Chet. Im surprised ORL didnt get cute and drop 1 slot for some extra future pick(s) if they knew they were going Paolo. It was a fascinating turn of events as I never really viewed Jabari as the consensus 1.

leebigez, Yung-T, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

I think it should be clear that "consensus number 1 overall pick" isn't what happened. Was Jabari favored to be number 1, sure, but there were still outlets who had Paolo or Chet number 1.

It wasn't really surprising when Paolo went #1.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

He most definitely tipped his hand too early. I understand wanting fans to be involved and excited, etc. but "never let your left hand know what the right is doing." Rockets trying to trade up for Banchero after they realized Orlando was selecting him probably helped finalized their decision. Who rockets are gunning for in upcoming drafts should he kept secret like contract negotiations.

mario_v likes this.
  13. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Thank you for the clarification. I also never felt Jabari was the best prospect. In time I feel he'll be a great player but becoming a superstar in the league is unlikely. I hope I'm wrong. What you mentioned about Orlando not inquiring about a trade with OKC for some picks and still drafting Banchero - the fact they didn't is what makes me believe it's possible OKC would have drafted Banchero if he were available.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  14. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

What are y'all crying about now?

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You might be right and OKC goes Paolo too. He fits with any team.

For Houston he would have been able to play make and score while Jalen/KPJ sit. Silas is now doubting himself after one game on how he's using those guys and a player like Paolo would have been a great guy to keep things steady as he offers a complete skill set not reliant on his teammates to find him. He elevates guys like a Jalen Suggs back into relevant player talks and was the PG for ORL in their first game while Cole Anthony sat with illness.

Jabari will be fine. Our guards will find him more often with more chemistry and as long as he can hit open shots (which he struggled with game 1) he should be a + player for the Rockets. Hopefully it works out for all teams in the end, but I'll always keep a side eye on Paolo he might be one of the special ones.

jiggyfly, cmoak1982 and hakeem94 like this.
  16. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

I think Jabari helps our guards more then Paolo it will force our guards to become better playmakers

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20 and 12 rebounds with 3 blocks on 6/18 shooting

18. dmoneybangbang

When you have two consecutive last place seasons..... fit shouldn't be much of a concern.

Paolo isn't surprising me at all. Kudos to the Magic for making the smart pick.

Yung-T and cdastros like this.
  19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Most of those narratives saying Jabari would be a better fit because Paolo handles the ball a lot were garbage anyway.

Now that we have Jabari, majority of CF is crying that we have no decent ballhandler besides Sengun and desperately need him in the starting five or to make kpj 6th man.
    Those issues already persisted prior to the draft and everyone could see that having an elite ballhandler would have really helped the Rockets.

jiggyfly and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

When your rookie is your leader