1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun simply not good enough

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Oct 11, 2022.

1. DominantBig

DominantBig Member

I realize my anger at Sengun not starting had more to do with craving a post centric player and team to root for again. But it’s true, he needs more time. Benching was the right move, and Sengun needs to get stronger if he wants to be a starting caliber center in this league. That’s in addition to continuing to improve his 3pt and decision making. I still have high hopes, but he’s at least a year away from making the impact I hoped he would have this year.

PatBev and Dobbizzle like this.
  2. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

It does not look like it. He showed up for the game, did not quit at half time. Did not sulk during the game. That's already way above the bar the team has set for its players. He was sloppy and underperformed a little bit. I'm sure he'll be alright.

And typically, overachievers like Sengun are not quitters, and whiners.

3. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

I agree. I wish he was in camp all summer working on his weaknesses. I remember Hedo grow an inch in his first summer in NBA. Alp should cut his time spent for social media every day and practice instead. He is still young. He just needs to stay away from tiktok and turkish succubus. These are very young players, and they need mentors. I hate the shot hesitation and talking to the ball. It seems noone is there to put a stop to these clown acts.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that I don't think it'll be a problem, I think it's a false narrative pushed by those looking to excuse a poor performance in many ways.

I think he'll make the necessary adjustments and thrive eventually.

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I didn’t watch the game but what’s the big complaint?

serious question.

he put up 15 and 9 on 55/50/100 shooting.

I see he had 6 TOS and that’s not good especially with no assists and passing seems to be his strongest asset so that seems like it’s just a fluke.

He’s young and like I said before in a post a while back. He should be, in his prime, at least a solid rotation big on a championship team. I still believe his skill set is that.

I was never a guy who said he was for sure a superstar in the making or our starting center for the next decade but I also never completely wrote it off.

he’s got a very unique skill set for a big and that’s going to keep him the league for a long time.

do I wish he was 7ft? Of course. Do I wish he was more athletic? Absolutely. But he can play and 6’9 235lb bigs who can pass and have coordination will always have a place in the NBA.

albuster and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

sshhh, wake up! we are not allowed to talk about how bad JG and Bari's game was, both offensively and defensively. noone can. we can't say they shot 30%. we can't mention how many easy points the opponents got with Jabari defense, and JGreen defense. Noone is allowed! So, we attack Sengun instead. Blind tards nation.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Sengun played hard off the bench. Yes he had a couple of the turnovers that were definitely his fault trying to be too fancy when a simple pass would have worked. He basically hit Gordan in the hands with one of the passes and Gordan wasn't ready. That stuff will get cleaned up with consistent playing time.

Room for improvement but not a bad game over all. Others had worse games when you compare expectations with execution.

Overall the game was competitive and I like our chances of surprising some teams with hard play and athleticism.

8. maj21

maj21 Member

Y’all know how I feel about Sengun and I’ll keep voicing my opinion about it. We do need to give him more time to adjust and improve, regardless if we’re optimistic about his upside or not. Ima do better, maybe lol

albuster likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

“GoTtA sToP wItH tHe FaNcY pAsSeS!”

WTF y’all talkin’ about. Not last night. One, maaaybe two.

1. Nowhere to go, no plan, throws it away (dumb TO)
    2. OK, this was “fancy” between the legs, trying to get it to Garrison.
    3. Stripped
    4. Tried to get it to Christopher (I’m sure some will say this was a “fancy pass”)
    5. Elbow/hook offensive foul
    6. Miscommunication? with Gordon

#629 J.R., Oct 20, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Although I am very HEPPY he plays for Houston it is very obvious that neither Rockets is the only NBA team nor the best fit for Alpi's talent. Management-wise it seems Sengun is overqualified for Houston and will move to an Eastern Conference team.

Please leave us to enjoy as much as possible when he plays for the Rockets. Considering Rockets front office, there will be lots of bricklayers/tunnel dwellers in this institution. Grateful if you conserve some of your critics for the future clowns.

albuster likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, Sengun is too good for the Rockets.....

Seriously, player only fans are a cancer.

I've been a fan of Sengun since the start, but your kind makes me kind of hope the Rockets draft his replacement and move on just to get rid of you guys.

maj21 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is a fancy person.

14. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

@J.R. Fantastic effort!!

On the first hand off, Mathews slows down as he approaches Sengun, expecting to get the ball before he hits sengun and use him as a screener with the ball in his hand. Sengun, however, wants Mathews to use him as a screener without the ball and get the ball on his backside, which I think is the better play because the handoff is safely guarded by Sengun's body and Mathew's does not lose speed when he picks up the bouncing ball. But again the main problem is that they don't have any idea what the other one is thinking.

With Eric Gordon hand-off, both are sloppy. The defender is relatively far away and because of that,
    1) Sengun does not set the proper screen
    2) He makes the sloppy bounce pass which is not needed in this case

Gordon also not fully concentrated.

So in the first one, sengun definitely has the correct play and this is something that they should be able to do. The second one is on both, but if Sengun was not sloppy, it would not have happened in the first place.

In the JC pass, it is the same lack of communication as in the Mathews hand-off. Sengun makes the pass where JC will be if he kept running, and he would have an easy layup. JC expects the ball right in his hands and thinks about making a play after getting the ball. Again, i think Sengun makes the correct pass and they should be able to execute this one.

The rest three are bad tos and he should have had only two of them at most on a bad day, 1 is normal.

15. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I support Rockets since 80's,quite likely before you were born. Who the f u r telling other people "rid of you guys"? Because you registered to the site before than us?

I don't care less whether you support Alpi or not. I support Rockets but also expect to watch decent people as Houstonian. Was happy to watch Sam Cassell more than Harden even Harden was a better player than Cassell under Rockets jersey. So now I want to watch more Alpi, as much as possible but not dealing too much with Bruno's, KPJ's shortcomings. Of course I become nervous time to time but next day it is over.Hope you succeed in one day, whether for Sengun or for someone else.

Beware and leave people alone. We need peace not trash talk. There are enough haters/problematic people in this site. Don't increase the number.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

When you dislike sengun, you just have to make generic critcism to slander him. Fancy passes, unatheltic, too short, etc. Etc.

Like the stamina criticism was an issue last year cause u can clearly see the man huffing and puffing

17. PeppermintCandy

Thanks for these uploads.

I'd say No. 1 and 3 were just normal turnovers. It can be considered carelessness but it happens to all players.

Nos. 2 and 6 were the TOs that were preventable, I think. He just tried to be a little too cute.

No. 4 looked like a good pass attempt. Just miscommunication with Christopher. And No. 5 is just a foul.

AroundTheWorld and J.R. like this.
  18. Balldon'tlie

Balldon'tlie Member

Segun is a defensive liability

ashleyem and Corrosion like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then that just makes your ridiculous take even more absurd.

I support all of the Rockets....because I'm a Rockets fan. As such, I want every player to be in the position that helps the team the most going forward. With Sengun, he's not a very good fit with the starters because he has to have the ball in his hands on every single possession and he can't play off-ball. That's not a problem when he's coming off the bench, but we're not going to hamper the development of Green and KPJ just to make Sengun more comfortable.

Personally I think he'll thrive in a bench role in the short term, and in the long term, I think he'll learn how to play off-ball so that he's a better fit with the starters.

20. albuster

albuster Member

Sengun is not a good fit for the current Rockets "system" or whatever one may call it. He is a Divac and Webber type player that is most effective in a system with constant ball and player movement. The game against Atlanta was dominated by constant dribbling and driving even when the lane was packed. There was no spacing and the offense was too predictable as in giving the ball to Green or KPJ and letting them do their thing. They were easy to stop. If this is the way the Rockets will play then they are wasting the immense talents of the rookies, and Sengun for that matter. I say move the ball from side to side and only attack the lane when the defense is stretched out or during transition. The Harden era is over.