1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why was Favors ever a Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fattz, Oct 15, 2022.

1. fattz

fattz Member

Looking back at the OKC trade that got him here, did this help the team?
    From what I can see, everyone involved has been released in less than a month. Why do this trade?

theDude and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

They got like a 2040 (2026?) 2nd round pick and cash considerations ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 J.R., Oct 15, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

It was a Favor for a Favor.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

he was our missing championship piece, but the tillmen needed a few more seasons to save monies

RasaqBoi and J.R. like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is OKC keeping any of the guys they got? I agree, otherwise an even bigger head scratcher.

6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It really doesn’t make much sense. I thought the whole point was to consolidate a few contracts into one large one so you could carry it into the season for trade purposes. If you are just going to cut him the same as the guys you traded for him, what was the point?

7. vince

vince Member

I thought there could be a place for Favors on the team, much like having Eric Gordon is benefiting the guards.

But, there is less playing time for front court players. And I think giving the young players that time will do more for their growth.

I’m getting the feeling it must have been quite a decision to waive Favors. I guess they see him more as a role player, than a rotation mainstay, and how he’d be taking time off from further development.

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

We got a second round pick and cash for nothing. What’s not to get?

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

This actually cost us money…Tilman slander is unwarranted.

Jontro likes this.
  10. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

Agree. Basically 1 million were spent to buy 2nd round pick in that trade.

Jontro likes this.
  11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The cash is irrelevant. It just went to pay the difference in salaries. It didn't get pocketed by the team. But you are right that they get a second round pick out of it. I just thought that Favors' contract would be more valuable to the team than anything that someone like Mathews or Nix brings.