1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Amazon Prime]The Lord of the Rings - Series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by daywalker02, Aug 4, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes that's what I recall but it doesn't match either what was written by Tolkein or the LOTR movie.

Also from the Tolkein writings Galadriel has a daughter who ends up marrying Elrond. I don't recall if she is supposed to be born in the Second or Third Age.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

are you saying this show is not matching up with Tolkein wrote?
    [​IMG]

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Galadriel wasn't married before Celeborn and their marriage was in the First age not too long after after the Noldor returned to Middle Earth. Galadriel does seem to have an open, not sexually, marriage as during her life time seems to spend centuries apart from Celeborn. It does fit that she could be on a centuries long vengeance quest but if Celeborn had died or been missing that time that would've been a big deal as in the Second and Third Age he is a very high ranking Elf Lord then. He would be ranked above Elrond.

Also while I'm wasting time nerding out. Finrod dies in the middle of the First age so by the time of the Rings of Power it's been more than a thousand years since he died which does fit with the story in the show. Also Galadriel had two other brothers, Angrod and Aegnor who die fighting in the First Age.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes in many parts it doesn't. It's kind of odd where it matches and where it does. Part of that is due to they only bought the rights to part of Tolkein's work and that they are compressing things, taking liberties with others and just making stuff up.

tinman likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think her daughter is born like 3000 years before this story starts lol in Tolkien's stories.

Her daughter is Elrond's wife and Arwen's mother.

6. justtxyank

What doesn't make sense is that she's been on this vengeance quest and has only ever mentioned her brother. Even when she finally mentions her husband to Theo she does it in a "oh, and my husband." it's an afterthought. Theo was the voice of the fans going "Husband?" Really odd omission up to this point. I'm at a loss for why they would build her desire for vengeance around her brother and not mention her husband.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

My own guess is this is more lazy writing. Celeborn even in the Tolkein writings isn't featured as prominently and in the LOTR movies doesn't have a lot of lines or screen time. Galadriel hatred for Sauron goes back to both the destruction of the Trees by Sauron's master and then the killing of her other big tie to Valinor the death of her brother.

For non Tolkein Nerds Galadriel in the books is supposed to be more powerful than Celeborn. As an Elf who lived in Valinor she already has more power than elves like Celeborn who have lived all their lives in Middle Earth.

tinman likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I finished episode 1. I will try episode 2.

I'm hoping this will be better than

1. She Hulk
    2. Scooby Doo show without Scooby Doo

9. justtxyank

Yes, lazy writing. If the filming hadn't been done a while ago I would have suggested they shoehorned the Theo dialogue in post production because they forgot about the husband.

I really don't mind them adjusting the source material but some weird writing does bug me.

The charge of the Numenorians was odd. Is the Southlands just one small village? That little group of huts needs a king?

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That’s definitely lazy writing and cost saving production. It’s easier to just do things with established characters and settings. They’re spending a billion on this with a lot of effects so they need to save money somewhere.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So I think we have Gandalf now? That plot twist had me pissed in th first 4 minutes, though. Then when they went the other way about 20 minutes later… whew.

I was kind of hoping Halbrand wasn’t Sauron, but oh well.

In any case, I can’t wait for Season 2!

Amiga and Yung-T like this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea I thought it didn't make sense for "Sauron" to be so peaceful and in tune with nature (no matter amnesia), glad it was just a mean twist in the works. :D
    The actor is nailing Gandalf pretty well imo, looking forward to his development.

That final shot of Sauron looking at Mordor was pretty epic, can't wait for season 2 to show how he builds his kingdom/army.

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Galadriel and Halbrand would've made some good looking kids together.

Too bad she swiped left.

Jontro, Invisible Fan and Yung-T like this.
  14. boomboom

Supporting Member

The eye...

upload_2022-10-14_10-18-10.png

15. boomboom

Supporting Member

Ugh! Best episode yet. Why must we wait??!? Stop making eight episode seasons.

rocketsjudoka and Invisible Fan like this.
  16. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Great episode, really excited to see what happens in Season 2.

• With Sauron in Mordor, does that mean that he doesn't get captured by the Numenoreans, and is 'killed' when it is destroyed?
    • Gandalf just about confirmed. But that means that Saruman and the other wizards are probably around. Could we see a wizard adventure storyline in season 2 of what happens out east?
    • Where's Isildur??
    • Even though it goes against what 'actually' happened, I'm not finding the condensed timeline too frustrating (i.e. it took like 900 years to forge the rings etc...). Glad they didn't do time jumps.
    • Need more Dwarves in Season 2.
    • Looking forward to Elrond creating Rivendell and Galadriel creating Lorien; Cirdan (confirmed for season 2), and Gandalf eventually getting a ring (way down the track).
    • Also wondering when the series will end? Will we get LoTR? Will it stop with the death of Isildur? Lots of stuff to look forward to!

Yung-T likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

yeah that "follow your nose" quote all but nailed it for Gandalf.

Spent half the episode trying to wrap my head around Sauron bring the stranger.

Wasn't expecting Halbrand to be evil before he turned into a genius blacksmith. I guess I should be sceptical of more developed side characters. The signs were there I guess.

Those Pale Sisters greeted the wrong wizard at the airport when Sauron already passed through customs.

Awkward

Yung-T and boomboom like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Geez, I could care less what was written in the Silmarillian, and Tolkein's son has already taken the work beyond what JRR himself said....so this to me is like visiting an old friend in middle earth.

They can take whatever liberties they want as long as the story is good.

The stranger is....

Gandalf - follow your nose line confirmed it....and he speaks to moths which he turned the wizards into, and his affinity for hobbits...

DD

#338 DaDakota, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    Yung-T and boomboom like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Watched it last night and will add my comments later. Very good and will give the writers credit for misdirection.

yes this is my new pet peeeve. Seasons used to be 20 episodes. Then they became 10 anw they are 8. It’s like how many products are downsizing the amount that they actually package. For example drinks going from 12 ounce servings to 10.

boomboom and Yung-T like this.
  20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Seasons used to be 20 ep on terrestrial tv. Cable TV shows were always shorter. Sopranos S1 13ep, The Wire ep 1 13, etc

In the case of HoD and RoP each ep is significantly longer than previous shows. We're talking 1hr+ compared to 45-50min that past shows ran.

rocketsjudoka likes this.