1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALDS Mariners vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 10, 2022.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

so now were going to act like folks around here wouldn't want to pull pressley if he hit a batter and allowed a hit. Folks go nuts when he gets the first base hit and that's in the regular season. stop it.

folks were even going nuts putting in javier yesterday. all things aren't created equal. it's easy to say whatever after the fact. again welcome to the postseason

Major likes this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Of course people would freak out because people do, but the right decision is not to pull your best reliever in that situation.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. there's folks that would want to pull him and there's folks that wouldn't. that's the point. in the postseason, he's more likely to get pulled just like any other situation you see when a reliever makes mistakes that leads up to tough situations

pressley gives up another hit: " You left him in too long"

pressley holds: "great decision leaving him in"

#postseasonbaseball

there will certainly be more to come. buckle up

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

All dem hindsight Andy's. I think the only valid thing to point out is that u do not send up robbie ray up against yordan. The stats/match up is just asking for the final outcome to occur. They had closers, the mariner skipper just didn't trust them or over thought it idk.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

as another poster said, the majority credit goes to the astros for putting sea in that tough spot to make those decisions. its on them from there. You either go against the monster or the guy who just hit a 2 run hr in the inning prior who's protecting him. good luck lol

Nook likes this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There is no sight superior to HINDSIGHT.

7. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Hopefully MLB.com knows the truth...

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-win-alds-game-1-2022

Buck Turgidson and Xerobull like this.
  8. Yordan The Great

So had we pulled Pressly in the same situation and brought in a starting pitcher who had allowed 32 home runs on the season coming up to face their very best power hitter, you're saying this is not a crazy move?

#1468 Yordan The Great, Oct 12, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

who they put in after him i couldn't careless. they did go to someone who just literally won the Cy young less than a year ago. and he gave up 33 hrs winning it. like i said its kudos to the stros for putting them in that tough situation. the point was getting pulled is fairly common when it comes to the bright lights of the postseason

10. juicystream

Oh no doubt people sill say things like that. Doesn't make them right.

If they had walked Alvarez to pitch to Bregman, and Bregman hit a game winning double, that is exactly the type of thing that would have happened, but it would have been a sound baseball decision (not one I would have made, but it would have been understandable).

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

doesn't make you right either. you're no different than those people

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

With 2 outs, up 2, and 2 on in the 9th, the difference between Pressly and Valdez on the mound is incredibly small. Having a strong opinion either way is probably being too critical. I think I would probably favor Valdez as he gives up less homers to LHBs if I was in the situation and thought heavily about it, but I probably wouldn't care enough about that small of a difference to actually pull Pressly (except maybe Game 7 of the World Series such that I wouldn't care about hurting Pressly's feelings).

If Valdez or Pressly lost the game, I would give credit to the opposing team's batter instead of thinking the decision between Valdez and Pressly was the deciding factor.

13. juicystream

I would never pull my closer to put in a guy totally out of their comfort zone.

donkeypunch likes this.
  14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm somewhat surprised too

But thinking about it... 1) the HR is either a salami or 3-run. 2) It must happen bottom inning 9th or later bottom. 3) there was fewer playoff games previously

I would have guessed <5x previous occurrences

But Astros continue to make history

15. Chasing_Chase

Chasing_Chase Member

I was at the game yesterday.. best game of my life in any sport. Everybody was going crazy, it was awesome. GO STROS

JeeberD, Stephen66, marks0223 and 3 others like this.
  16. red

red Contributing Member

My drive to work this morning in Seattle was infinitely better. Thanks Astros.

Nook, IBTL, Chasing_Chase and 6 others like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I care more about winning and having the best guy on the mound. I'd probably leave in Pressly in to protect Pressly's feelings in all, but Game 7 of the Word Series (i.e., I'd value keeping up his confidence for future games more than the difference in ability). Valdez would not be out of his comfort zone. Ray had plenty of time to get ready.

If they had left Sewald in and Alvarez hit a home run with Ray ready in the pen, I'd be having a very similar conversation right now with someone else. The Mariners lost this game mostly because Sewald let Alvarez come to the plate, and Alvarez hit a home run. The decision on who to pitch was a virtual coin flip and making a big deal of that decision implies that the credit for the home run is less on Alvarez than it actually is and more on Servais.

YOLO likes this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Early early results say Pena is playoff-clutch somewhat

Correa isn't worried yet but is on notice

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26

Dusty Baker says he believes Jake Meyers has the best chance among his center fielders of hitting Castillo tomorrow night. So look for @jake_meyers4 in the lineup in game two.

lw17 likes this.
  20. Yordan The Great

I agree with your last statement except I think it should have been Diaz as the DH, it certainly earned his place in the postseason.